Can we please, after what now seems like many seasons of it, put to bed the ludicrous notion that....

37 minutes ago, losesome said:

Only a winning team will put bums on seats,  look at Stockport,  2 divisions below us but over 6000 yesterday! !

Yes, absoluely agree. Was very impressed with Stockport attendance. A serious promotional push next season could see some really decent crowds at BP.

2 hours ago, singe said:

.. Appointing a high profile name as manager does not add thousands to the gate. 

Witness the gate yesterday. 

Two draws, two losses and one win also explains the gate yesterday. It's about winning. Ita been far too long since we even strung a decent set of wins together and as much as people do love this club it has an eroding effect on the fans. Everything crossed for scholes and next season. Badly want the club and him to bring some good times back. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Wardie said:

A team doesn't just get into the Championship and suddenly start playing attractive, winning football. It has to be bred into the squad, the squad maintained and possibly added to, then, if promotion is achieved by playing attractive football, it carries on in the league above. I would rather have quality and momentum than hoof-ball. Scholes will need to work hard during the closed season, no doubt about that.

The money needed in the Championship is mind boggling.

Our income was around £4 in L1.
Preston debts to owners are £36m

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

I’ve said it before but the harsh reality is that we have taken less than one season to go from being a bang average league one side to a bang average league two side

Bang average league one sides don’t get relegated from league one. They stay bang in the middle. We’ve not even been bang average for many years we’ve been worse. 

We are taking time to adjust to this level. I personally was expecting it to be of a similar standard to the league above. With the right players brought in and the shit ones released. I’d be fairly confident of having a better chance next season with PS in charge (with his contacts and winning mentality) rather than FB going into an unknown. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, singe said:

The money needed in the Championship is mind boggling.

Our income was around £4 in L1.
Preston debts to owners are £36m

Championship is becoming unworkable. It’s spending v income is worse than the prem by now probably. It takes very deep pockets to survive in there now. It’s why Wigan was sold. Championship player wages are insane. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daniel said:

We are where we are because we deserve to be, this is the worst team i’ve ever seen in my 15 years following us, but some of the shite in this league is 100 times worse than what we are. Not through us being good, but due to the standard of this division, we should 100% be higher in the league. 

I reckon we’ll finish around mid table. Which in my opinion would be a fair reflection of the investment in the squad and all the turmoil the club has had to cope with since relegation. 

Its a sad state of affairs, it really is, but it’s not like we’ve got a manager who’s squandered a great budget and great players being played out of position. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JoeP said:

I was being flippant about the Championship. 

We need to do whatever it takes to get out of this division and to do that we need to learn to win ugly. Results first. Style of play second. 

My worry would be that the set of 'cloggers' needed to play ugly and get the team out of League Two would not be capable of the style of play needed to play attractive football in League One. In an ideal world, tall, athletic and skilful players would be perfect. The biggest team I can remember, in terms of stature, played under Dowie and I was genuinely excited by the football they played.

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

The biggest team I can remember, in terms of stature, played under Dowie and I was genuinely excited by the football they played.

Yep. Direct without being particularly ugly/long ball but all about intent. 

Edited by HarryBosch

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

My worry would be that the set of 'cloggers' needed to play ugly and get the team out of League Two would not be capable of the style of play needed to play attractive football in League One.

Jesus Christ!

Let's worry about that when we get to League One, eh?

10 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Tom Pope talks about it in his UndrTheCosh podcast - he hates modern day football and feels the game is dying the way the kids and reserves at Port Vale just knock it around with little desire to take responsibility/score/win... 

Was the hardest listen of the series. He literally sounds like he'd struggle to work out two plus two. Genuinely think he's got about 7 working brain cells (is he one of the Athleticos)

17 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Championship is becoming unworkable. It’s spending v income is worse than the prem by now probably. It takes very deep pockets to survive in there now. It’s why Wigan was sold. Championship player wages are insane. 

The Championship has been a two-tier competition within a competition for some time, segregated by ex-Premiership clubs and clubs 'better than L1' - it's hardly a competition when this kind of money has to given to stablise a club that's failed in the Premiership.

Post 2013 - when the payments really jumped up - Sunderland pop out like a sore thumb on this chart, but if anyone watched that Netflix thing they'd realise that along with stunningly poor player contact negotiation seasons before (Rodwell), their owner ran the operation into the ground like an rusty old charabanc last season.

Apart from them, the payments are perpetuating beyond means spending to fund the clamour to go back up.

It's a racket.

image.png

Solidarity Payments 2017/18

image.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Matt said:

*Snip*

I knew it was like this, of course, but it's still pretty incredible when you see the numbers laid out.  Particularly that a handful of clubs took parachute payments in 17/18 amounting to ten times the whole of League One and League Two's 'solidarity' payments (not to mention that the Championship took three quarters of the overall solidarity number).

17 hours ago, Wardie said:

My worry would be that the set of 'cloggers' needed to play ugly and get the team out of League Two would not be capable of the style of play needed to play attractive football in League One. In an ideal world, tall, athletic and skilful players would be perfect. The biggest team I can remember, in terms of stature, played under Dowie and I was genuinely excited by the football they played.

I dont think we necessarily need a set of cloggers to get out of league 2 although that is one way of getting out of this league. 

The best 2 teams Ive seen this season Bury and Lincoln both will go up automatically play very different styles of football.

On 3/4/2019 at 8:10 AM, Matt said:

The Championship has been a two-tier competition within a competition for some time, segregated by ex-Premiership clubs and clubs 'better than L1' - it's hardly a competition when this kind of money has to given to stablise a club that's failed in the Premiership.

Post 2013 - when the payments really jumped up - Sunderland pop out like a sore thumb on this chart, but if anyone watched that Netflix thing they'd realise that along with stunningly poor player contact negotiation seasons before (Rodwell), their owner ran the operation into the ground like an rusty old charabanc last season.

Apart from them, the payments are perpetuating beyond means spending to fund the clamour to go back up.

It's a racket.

image.png

Solidarity Payments 2017/18

image.png

More evidence of the lunacy in football finances at the mo. Let’s not even go where Bolton are.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:58 AM, GlossopLatic said:

I dont think we necessarily need a set of cloggers to get out of league 2 although that is one way of getting out of this league. 

The best 2 teams Ive seen this season Bury and Lincoln both will go up automatically play very different styles of football.

Bury yes, but how big is their wage bill and how do they get around  SCMP rules? Lincoln were nothing but a spoiling team. They stop the opposition by any means possible, fall over to get fouls, cheat and are awful to watch. Very few sides in L2 try to play good football.

As for the Championships extravagance, they do get a large chunk of TV money, but they say it is nowhere near enough compared to the Premiership deal.

48 minutes ago, latics22 said:

It’s unsustainable! The bubble is going to burst soon! We may rise again, just because of the madness in the leagues above!

All down to players ridiculous wages stemming from the Premiership greedy league.

The sooner the elite clear off and form a European league (which will happen) all the better for domestic football. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

All down to players ridiculous wages stemming from the Premiership greedy league.

The sooner the elite clear off and form a European league (which will happen) all the better for domestic football. 

I don’t think a proper Euro league happens.  Champions league could be tweaked I guess.

Not even the greedy clubs are so stupid as to kill off domestic competition surely? They will definitely kill the goose with a purely Euro super league move. Would turn off a huge number of fans imo. 

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

I don’t think a proper Euro league happens.  Champions league could be tweaked I guess.

Not even the greedy clubs are so stupid as to kill off domestic competition surely? They will definitely kill the goose with a purely Euro super league move. Would turn off a huge number of fans imo. 

Talks are already happening.

Might take a while, but it will IMO.

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Talks are already happening.

Might take a while, but it will IMO.

Until quite recently, I was of the opinion that a European super league was a bad thing. But I am now coming around to the view that it may well benefit the English League structure. 

When I read of David De Gea reportedly wanting 400k a week (A WEEK FFS!) and his club ready to pay him that sum then I despair for the whole football pyramid. Championship clubs will increasingly push themselves to the point of bankruptcy to attain the holy grail that is the Premier League and the knock on effect down through the leagues will only lead to the rich clubs benefiting - sad times ☹️