Can we please, after what now seems like many seasons of it, put to bed the ludicrous notion that....

4 hours ago, Matt said:

It makes sense, given the exclusivity of the platforms. We need to also admit that physical attendances aren't turned on to group stages either. The two issues both highlight the over-arching motif of UEFA picking the competition up by the heels and shaking every last copper out of it.

Don't think it's the group stages per se. Granted, it was a different time, but Anfield was regularly half empty for most of the ties when it was pure knockout, at least until it got to the semi final stage.

That wage chart for Villa is just shocking, if most of those players had the equivalent world ranking in tennis or golf they would probably barely make a living....football is way too generous to players before they have actually won anything

Where is the incentive if you are being paid £25k a week, a week!!!! to finish mid table in the second tier? It’s all very well saying it’s just supply and demand but it’s more insidious and football is rotten to the core

This just encourages me to cancel my Sky subscription in the next couple of months when my contract is up, perhaps if we all did then the wages would start to fall back to something approaching decency

2 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

That wage chart for Villa is just shocking, if most of those players had the equivalent world ranking in tennis or golf they would probably barely make a living....football is way too generous to players before they have actually won anything

Where is the incentive if you are being paid £25k a week, a week!!!! to finish mid table in the second tier? It’s all very well saying it’s just supply and demand but it’s more insidious and football is rotten to the core

This just encourages me to cancel my Sky subscription in the next couple of months when my contract is up, perhaps if we all did then the wages would start to fall back to something approaching decency

Tennis and golf are shit though 

9 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Tennis and golf are shit though 

Golf I’ll give you. Spectator sport? Really? Tennis... those guys earn their money. 

anyhow... his point was a good one I think.  Cant be many sports, if any, where if you are playing at that level you are earning that much (not sure how it works outside the NFL)  

54 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Golf I’ll give you. Spectator sport? Really? Tennis... those guys earn their money. 

anyhow... his point was a good one I think.  Cant be many sports, if any, where if you are playing at that level you are earning that much (not sure how it works outside the NFL)  

It confuses it comparing individual and team sports I think. There might be 1000 higher ranked footballers but they're top 50 in team terms. I bet the 50th ranked golfist in the world ranking earns a fair bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

It would but stuff like this doesn't make me angry enough to cancel my Sky subscription its more a reflection of Aston Villas mismanagement of handing out lavish contracts to mediocre players.