Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Londonboy

Mid table obscurity.....

Recommended Posts

So disappointed how the last 5 games have gone.  After all the optimism of appointing Scholes and beating Yeovil, 3 points and no wins from 5 games playing bang average teams, with the exception of Bury is pretty shit. 

A WDL record of 12 12 12 sums us up really.... Just not good enough to challenge and inconsistent. 

Not sure any manager could have done much better with the players we have, however I hoped we would at least extend the interest in the season until April. 

Will feel a bit wierd with nothing to play for...at least it was interesting at the bottom of league 1😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went through a very important window without a manager and no notable signings after losing probably two of our better players, not surprised we are where we are, another season finished by boardroom incompetence - unfortunately. 

 

Don't think he'll be sacking himself any time soon though so it is what it is, won't see another penny off me though this season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone seen anything in the performances under Scholes that suggests he's the man to take us forward, though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its the squad, not Scholes.

 

Hope he doesn't prove me wrong.

 

We need players with the intelligence to repeat what they are being drilled in training.

 

I don't doubt the individual ability of many of them but we need a solid well drilled squad, with that wiley quality about them to do the right thing at the right time to protect the points and get us out of this league.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know - while we've lost Surridge and Lyden, I'd like to see a glimmer of something which suggests he can get a performance in the most unlikely of circumstances.

 

I don't buy into this "working towards next season" malarkey.  We need momentum to take us on to next season, but there's no sign of that on the horizon. 

 

He'll have the odds stacked against him constantly and needs to deal with whatever's thrown at him.  We don't (and won't..) have a big squad.  We don't (and won't..) have a good squad.  If he doesn't know what's required, he shouldn't have taken the job.  But then again, why should he know what's required?  He has no experience of this league.  If he tries to sign fancy, up and coming United kids, I fear the worst for next season.  We need effective players at this level - eleven Peter Clarkes.

 

He's already moaned about our pitch and playing too many games - if Dunn or Wellens had've come out with that, they'd have been slated. Scholes knows how many games we play. He knows the state of the pitch, if he's been watching us for months. Why is it a surprise now?

 

Don't get me wrong - if it's a choice of keeping the owner or Scholes, it's Scholes every time for me, but I fear we could be "working towards next season" under a different manager this time next year..

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it hard to believe we wouldn’t be higher if we’d stuck with bunn, all these draws are killing us. I’m pretty sure we would be in the play offs if we hand thrown results away. If we can’t beat Cambridge away, who can we beat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I find it hard to believe we wouldn’t be higher if we’d stuck with bunn, all these draws are killing us. I’m pretty sure we would be in the play offs if we hand thrown results away. If we can’t beat Cambridge away, who can we beat.

 

Tiredness again the excuse.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

 

Tiredness again the excuse.

 

We weren’t tired under bunn, the opposite! Are all the other teams not tired?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeP said:

....We don't (and won't..) have a big squad.....

 

 

We had 7 players more than Cambridge listed on the back of today’s match programme today.... something I note repeated almost every game I attend.

 

http://imgur.com/obI7i8Z

Edited by lookersstandandy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

We win the league by a distance next season, none of this matters.

Didn't have you down as a #WalkTheLeagueLad....!

 

So far, no sign of Scholes the master motivator, and no sign yet of AL having any money to get the new players required. Really hope I am wrong.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

 

We had 7 players more than Cambridge listed on the back of today’s match programme today.... something I note repeated almost every game I attend.

 

http://imgur.com/obI7i8Z

I've hardly been defending Scholes to the hilt, but to be fair he did say we had too big a squad and needed less and better quality. I suppose it depends on the cost of them. MAd scenario though isn't it. Wonder how many will be here by the end of July. OR even June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeP said:

I don't know - while we've lost Surridge and Lyden, I'd like to see a glimmer of something which suggests he can get a performance in the most unlikely of circumstances.

 

I don't buy into this "working towards next season" malarkey.  We need momentum to take us on to next season, but there's no sign of that on the horizon. 

 

He'll have the odds stacked against him constantly and needs to deal with whatever's thrown at him.  We don't (and won't..) have a big squad.  We don't (and won't..) have a good squad.  If he doesn't know what's required, he shouldn't have taken the job.  But then again, why should he know what's required?  He has no experience of this league.  If he tries to sign fancy, up and coming United kids, I fear the worst for next season.  We need effective players at this level - eleven Peter Clarkes.

 

He's already moaned about our pitch and playing too many games - if Dunn or Wellens had've come out with that, they'd have been slated. Scholes knows how many games we play. He knows the state of the pitch, if he's been watching us for months. Why is it a surprise now?

 

Don't get me wrong - if it's a choice of keeping the owner or Scholes, it's Scholes every time for me, but I fear we could be "working towards next season" under a different manager this time next year..

 

Without any momentum, we will haemorrhage season ticket holders this time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, singe said:

Didn't have you down as a #WalkTheLeagueLad....!

 

So far, no sign of Scholes the master motivator, and no sign yet of AL having any money to get the new players required. Really hope I am wrong.

All the dough in this window went on securing Scholes, the next two are all his to spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Londonboy said:

So disappointed how the last 5 games have gone.  After all the optimism of appointing Scholes and beating Yeovil, 3 points and no wins from 5 games playing bang average teams, with the exception of Bury is pretty shit. 

A WDL record of 12 12 12 sums us up really.... Just not good enough to challenge and inconsistent. 

Not sure any manager could have done much better with the players we have, however I hoped we would at least extend the interest in the season until April. 

Will feel a bit wierd with nothing to play for...at least it was interesting at the bottom of league 1😕

I’m certain Frankie or Peter would’ve got considerably more points from these last few games...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we writing Scholes off already or just going through the motions of having a good moan at the recent run of results?
Mid table "obscurity" is better than League Two relegation, given the manager merry-go-round the team has had to endure this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I’m certain Frankie or Peter would’ve got considerably more points from these last few games...

That's one of those things that is easy to say but can never be proved.  You may be right, you may be wrong.  We'll never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously not writing Scholes off but I’ve not seen anything so far to suggest we’re going to challenge for promotion next season...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has no experience, it was a total gamble, it may work or it may not....so far it hasn’t 

 

PW has more experience and it showed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is ridiculous.. Half a dozen games in with no new players? 

Get a grip. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

This is ridiculous.. Half a dozen games in with no new players? 

Get a grip. 

 

Not entirely true, Dearnley and Alafoyan ????

 

Despite his total lack of management experience I was at least expecting a bit of a new manager and Scholes bounce but instead we’ve had nothing, zero, nada

 

Season over, goodbye  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

 

Not entirely true, Dearnley and Alafoyan ????

 

Despite his total lack of management experience I was at least expecting a bit of a new manager and Scholes bounce but instead we’ve had nothing, zero, nada

 

Season over, goodbye  

We were and even to an extent in a decent position we should be cracking on pushing for the play offs instead we’re treading water at best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrongly we are still in with a shout as mad and wrong as it is ! If we pull our socks up we can still some how sneak in, we don’t deserve it! But this league Is so so POOR a run of 5 on the bounce puts us in there!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...