Mid table obscurity.....

The reason we are not going to make the play-offs is not down to Scholes. It was looking difficult when he was appointed and the failure to build in January (by not having a manager in situ) meant it was even more difficult than it looked.

One win in 6 including 5 very winnable games is poor though.

It has to now be about next season and it is to be hoped that Abdallah is going to find some dough to back Scholes in the summer. He needs to do more to show he can motivate the players he has, though and it is not acceptable to just drift to the end of the season.

Scholes has said that he wants his side to entertain. Even if this squad isn't capable of winning on a regular basis they have to deliver some level of entertainment. Playing for a draw in a meaningless game at Cambridge doesn't fit the remit.

7 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Not entirely true, Dearnley and Alafoyan ????

Despite his total lack of management experience I was at least expecting a bit of a new manager and Scholes bounce but instead we’ve had nothing, zero, nada

Season over, goodbye  

You'd decided you didn't want him before he'd even got here. It's six games in, show some patience. There is no reason whatsoever why we SHOULD be pushing for promotion this season. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

You'd decided you didn't want him before he'd even got here. It's six games in, show some patience. There is no reason whatsoever why we SHOULD be pushing for promotion this season. 

Should it not be the aim of a relegated team to bounce straight back up?

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Should it not be the aim of a relegated team to bounce straight back up?

Yes it should but I can't think of a single reason why that should happen. Our crowds more or less match our position in the table, the club is/was close to broken, massive turnover of players, equally huge turnover of coaching and backroom staff, terrible pitch, one has to assume a pretty moderate budget.  The list goes on but still people seem to think that we SHOULD BE right up there. 

44 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Yes it should but I can't think of a single reason why that should happen. Our crowds more or less match our position in the table, the club is/was close to broken, massive turnover of players, equally huge turnover of coaching and backroom staff, terrible pitch, one has to assume a pretty moderate budget.  The list goes on but still people seem to think that we SHOULD BE right up there. 

People say what a tough gig the Oldham manager's job must be.  I reckon it's a piece of piss.  There's literally been no ambition to do anything other than hopefully avoid relegation for the last 25 years (with perhaps the exception of the Chris Moore season..), plus there's a whole list of excuses already lined up like the ones you've highlighted for especially poor periods.

We don't need a manager who can't work with these constraints - we need a manager that can.  Why the hell would Scholes be that man?  It's a world away from what he recognises as "football".  The early signs fit in with that theory - he's taken us backwards, if anything.

If we've broken the bank to get Scholes it's another ridiculous misjudgement by the owner, in my opinion.  It seemed to be a move to boost the profile of the club, yet the exposure we received seems to have disappeared quicker than a fart in the wind.  Surely spending the money on Grayson or Evans would have been a wiser move? We're now left with just another inexperienced appointment, who just happened to be a better player than the numerous other inexperienced punts we've had in the past.

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Sometime, anytime we have to give someone a decent stint and see if they can develop themselves and a team. But six games in and we've got the wrong bloke. I just despair. 

True, see who he brings in and take it from there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JoeP said:

If he doesn't know what's required, he shouldn't have taken the job.  

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that he literally didn't know what he was getting into.

Consider his comments about or away following a while back.

People seem to assume that he knew everything we knew about the club ahead of taking the job but he probably didn't. 

He's probably come across things that aren't as they should be at a football club that he couldn't even have conceived of having lived in a complete other world for his whole footballing life. 

1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

No we won't.

Why would those of us who've renewed & renewed throughout the last few years of shite not renew after this latest year of shite? 

Agreed. I was thoroughly hacked off after our second half performance yesterday but that and the recent struggle for victories under PS will not stop me renewing for next season.  

I can't see why people are not more concerned about what goes on in the boardroom than in the dugout. Our chances of going up fell apart in January where we made the wrong signings and we took too long in making a managerial appointment. 

There is still no real evidence of a plan just acts of randomness signing random foreign players most of whom clearly arent good enough. Their doesnt appear much evidence that things are about to change either.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I can't see why people are not more concerned about what goes on in the boardroom than in the dugout. Our chances of going up fell apart in January where we made the wrong signings and we took too long in making a managerial appointment. 

There is still no real evidence of a plan just acts of randomness signing random foreign players most of whom clearly arent good enough. Their doesnt appear much evidence that things are about to change either.

Oh, it's going to shit in the boardroom too, but we need to give him time as well, remember?

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

No we won't.

Why would those of us who've renewed & renewed throughout the last few years of shite not renew after this latest year of shite? 

I think I’ve had enough. Might not renew this time. 

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

We don't have a board to occupy the boardroom though.

Glossop is right, the issue here is at Boardroom level. Whether that means Abdallah or Corney is up for debate. In my opinion we are where we are because of a decade of mismanagement under the previous owner culminating in a procession of managers who were not given long enough to build a team. That has continued under the current owner so he needs to take responsibility too.

As I don't believe Abdallah has huge resources I think we had to go for promotion this campaign. I acknowledge that there was a job to do to stabilise following all that had happened under Corney but I fear that each season we eat up for of a very finite pot of cash and so next year's budget will be lower than this season's. I hope I am wrong.

As for the question asked in another thread: whether we'd kept Bunn or not I think we would have finished mid table so in the very short term it made no real difference.

In the medium term it is difficult to judge. Scholes should be able to attract better players but over the summer we will have someone starting out on their 'plan' (yeah, I know) rather than someone almost a year into theirs.

Ultimately it is irrelevant. We have got PS in charge and we desperately need him to stay long enough to actually achieve something.

Edited by Latics and England
  • Like 2