Match Thread: Lincoln City (A)

Modern footballer? Social Media?

I don't condone the culture but you want to see the absolute dross that our own legends Marshall and Holden spue out constantly and would have done had it been around back in the day. #footyLADS #boyswillbeboys #DMmebabe

Anyway....

As for this season the sooner it fucks off the better. I don't blame Scholes one single iota. I blame the owner for not learning lessons and I blame the players for absolutely conning us yet again. Spineless gutless and pure amateur against some absolute dross. 

I hope Scholes is able to remove as much of the deadwood as possible and bring in a group of players with just a % of the winning mentality required and I only ask of the owner that we don't hear his name or the club name in a single national press headline (notably Keegans DM) . That will mean we are doing something right. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Baxters dismissal was probably down to the frustration of playing with poor players.

Baxter was getting tugged back off the ball all the time and gradually losing his rag. But, in today's world that is a sending off for me. 

As for folk going on about a bunch of kickers, I don't think they are giving Lincoln any way near enough credit. I thought they were a neat if strong side. The left back had a belter. I think they are due a bit of credit. 

Edited by OldhamSheridan

to be fair the first 20mins we was on top, not many chances but zero off the table toppers, the ref and his side kick linesman was hell bent on Lincoln for the 3 points, every slight hand on, trip, Look was a foul to the gimps all night, once down to 10 was always going to be up hill against 12 men(+gimp linesman) once vera and O’Grady came on well say no more!!! By fook it was cold in that away end  tonight, shame the season is working out as it is, wish it ended this Saturday!!!!

8 minutes ago, Goal89 said:

Modern footballer? Social Media?

I don't condone the culture but you want to see the absolute dross that our own legends Marshall and Holden spue out constantly and would have done had it been around back in the day. #footyLADS #boyswillbeboys #DMmebabe

Anyway....

As for this season the sooner it fucks off the better. I don't blame Scholes one single iota. I blame the owner for not learning lessons and I blame the players for absolutely conning us yet again. Spineless gutless and pure amateur against some absolute dross. 

I hope Scholes is able to remove as much of the deadwood as possible and bring in a group of players with just a % of the winning mentality required and I only ask of the owner that we don't hear his name or the club name in a single national press headline (notably Keegans DM) . That will mean we are doing something right. 

I don't think you can give Scholes a free pass. At least under Bunn and Wild we had a semblance of being a bit drilled.

Play offs were unrealstic, but they current crop are clearly not playing for the manager, and only did so for one game. I hope it is because they have been told they won;t get new contracts because we are in real trouble if any significant number of the current squad are in contract discussions at the moment.

Rebuild the squad, think about the signings, I know we don't have first dibs on players but we can do better than this , mr chairman keep your fooking beak out and let the manager pick the fooking players, scholes then gets his unadulterated chance to show if he can put a team together and if it goes wrong then he goes and no arguments as to whose fault it is. 

Not sure if I already mentioned but this squad is shit

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, singe said:

I don't think you can give Scholes a free pass. At least under Bunn and Wild we had a semblance of being a bit drilled.

Play offs were unrealstic, but they current crop are clearly not playing for the manager, and only did so for one game. I hope it is because they have been told they won;t get new contracts because we are in real trouble if any significant number of the current squad are in contract discussions at the moment.

It certainly looks like some know a clear out is coming and they don’t figure. 

Lincoln are the most professional side I've seen this season. As evidenced by them surrounding either Baxter or the ref after his challenge, which probably would have been a yellow card against many other sides. 

We were better than a 2-0 loss with the stats as singe posted. However, they were the better side. 

Eventually the officials will all wise up to their tactics and they will come back down. 

To be honest I'd rather we'd play like them and win games than this faux passing Scholes has us playing. 

Apparently a dislocated shoulder is up there in terms of being very painful, (Afolayan was probably huffing from gas and air), so how he manged to film himself in the ambulance I do not know. 

Scholes has no excuses for what's needed next season after tonight.  Lincoln knew every trick in the book and we looked very naive.  I respect the way that the Cowley brothers are shrewd in the way they manage but their "style" will only take them so far unless they adapt.  Baxter's challenge was silly but it was a yellow (Hamer got booked later on for a similar challenge later on), the reaction of the Lincoln players made it a red which is infuriating to watch.

As for us, it's poor on Scholes' part that we seemed pretty aimless going forward as a team.  That was a game in which talent wasn't enough (even if we had it), we needed to have a clear and smart attacking strategy to break them down.  It wasn't evident.

Iverson - probably MotM for the saves as the match went on.  Thought he could've done better with the first goal but he was let down by his defence.

Back 4 - none particularly great individually, as a unit they had a difficult challenge but didn't really deal with it very well.  Hunt was poor and while I think overall he's a decent full back, I'd rather have Hamer at right back and either Nepo or Iacovitti (left footers) at left back.  I'd have no problem if he leaves in the summer.

Missilou - battled but pretty average.

Maouche - out-battled.  Not the game for him.  He has his uses but his contract next season would have to be right for us for him to be worth it.

Lang - ineffective but I feel for him as he got no protection from the ref and not much support from his teammates.  Glad he didn't get sent off ahead of Saturday.

Baxter - OK when on the pitch, but asked for trouble with the red card challenge.  We'll miss him for the next 3 games.

Nepo - pretty anonymous.

Dapo - battled and hope he's OK.  Pretty ineffective though.

Dearnley - tried to make things happen but fighting a losing battle.

O'Grady - appreciate the role he played earlier in the season, but not a fit for this team and looks a bit past it.  Expect to see him released in May.

Vera - sadly he just seems shit.

The rest of the season is up against mostly top half teams, I hope Scholes finds ways to beat these teams before next season.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, OldhamSheridan said:

For anyone.hypothetically, who in this current squad is better than the kid at school that had to touch the ball with his hand before kicking it?

Whats the relevance?  Is the 1960s 4th Division team going to come and play for us this Saturday? Sorry BP, love your posts and value your judgement but let’s look forward not back...

We all know current team is shit - some playing below their ability, the rest just aren’t good enough.

Hopefully Lemsagan sees it, accepts it and will allow Scholes to completely rebuild with his own players.   I doubt we have the funds to achieve this although I’m hanging on the assumption Scholes wouldn’t be here unless he was given guarantees this will happen.  

My concern then is even if he has full backing, what happens if we don’t secure promotion or a play-off?  Is Scholes off?  One way or the other I don’t see him extending the 18 months and we start again.... I really hope I’m wrong and this is the start of a new, positive, chapter.

• Like 1

Guest Stanley30
8 hours ago, oafc21 said:

to be fair the first 20mins we was on top, not many chances but zero off the table toppers, the ref and his side kick linesman was hell bent on Lincoln for the 3 points, every slight hand on, trip, Look was a foul to the gimps all night, once down to 10 was always going to be up hill against 12 men(+gimp linesman) once vera and O’Grady came on well say no more!!! By fook it was cold in that away end  tonight, shame the season is working out as it is, wish it ended this Saturday!!!!

All u ever seem to do is blame refs?

The players lost us the match u need to get over blaming refs all the time and making the team accountable 

We are .seeing the true effects of the fantasy football experiment.Relegation and now drifting in this awful division.Even in the darkest times of the last 20 years whoever we played  I believed there was potential to get a result.Don't even expect to get a result at home on Saturday. Just hope Scholes is allowed to build his own team and prove whether or not he can manage.

7 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Hopefully Lemsagan sees it, accepts it and will allow Scholes to completely rebuild with his own players.   I doubt we have the funds to achieve this although I’m hanging on the assumption Scholes wouldn’t be here unless he was given guarantees this will happen.  

My concern then is even if he has full backing, what happens if we don’t secure promotion or a play-off?  Is Scholes off?  One way or the other I don’t see him extending the 18 months and we start again.... I really hope I’m wrong and this is the start of a new, positive, chapter.

This is what concerns me tbh!

We're caught in a catch 22 situation - as you've rightly stated we need to start with a rebuild (with someone doing the recruiting who knows what players will be good enough!) .. funds are needed to do this obviously, but that's the crux for me! Where are they coming from?

We've paid the season ticket money already - no proof but generally when we pay this 'early' it means it's needed now rather than later! .. The pitch is a high priority - you could even say #1, again where's that money coming from?

I suspect Paul Jewell walked away due the shambles that is our club and how it's run, why wouldn't PS? Yeah he'd look like he's not tried that hard, but another season of dross (simply because next season could be run on a shoe string and a 'hope for the best' attitude) wouldn't appeal i don't think and there's the seemingly infinite problem - the circus starts all over again with some other 'FNG' who's expected to make do and get on with it!

The players have give up, fans are giving up .. why wouldn't PS?

IT'S A SHIT STATE OF AFFAIRS THAT'S FOR SURE!

11 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Our back five are shit. 

11 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Hunt is pants. Backwards backwards backwards 

11 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Tip tap airy fairy 2nd to the ball.

Far too many shrinking violets for this division.

11 hours ago, latics22 said:

Shambles 

10 hours ago, archiecat said:

He isn't on his own,full team of spineless shitbags, useless

10 hours ago, True Tic said:

Wish there was some way we could fuck some of these off now and start to rebuild a team with some brains and a bit of brawn. No group hugs after an odd goal, just acknowledge and carry on with the job in hand. Sick of these clueless twats

10 hours ago, steveecky said:

Abysmal performance apart from the first 5 minutes - couldn't string two passes together.  Side looks completely short of confidence and apart from Lang (occasionally) the team carries no goal threat. O'Grady couldn't trap a bag of cement. 

9 hours ago, OLDHAMADE said:

They shrunk in the last, fancy football is no good if you haven't got players capable of it.

Bunch of softies and that's being polite 

9 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

This team is absolutely piss poor. 

9 hours ago, True Tic said:

Not sure if I already mentioned but this squad is shit

The fans have spoken 😮

10 hours ago, OldhamSheridan said:

Baxter was getting tugged back off the ball all the time and gradually losing his rag. But, in today's world that is a sending off for me. 

As for folk going on about a bunch of kickers, I don't think they are giving Lincoln any way near enough credit. I thought they were a neat if strong side. The left back had a belter. I think they are due a bit of credit. 

Lincoln are what we shold look to be. The way they play will see them challenge in League 1 next season aswell. 

1 hour ago, Stanley30 said:

All u ever seem to do is blame refs?

The players lost us the match u need to get over blaming refs all the time and making the team accountable 

Behave!! If you read all my posts not once have I blamed the ref for our shit performance over this dreadful season , I said we played ok for the first 20mins last night!! And the officials didn’t give us anything last night, that’s not saying we would have won with a better official

Guest Stanley30
3 hours ago, oafc21 said:

Behave!! If you read all my posts not once have I blamed the ref for our shit performance over this dreadful season , I said we played ok for the first 20mins last night!! And the officials didn’t give us anything last night, that’s not saying we would have won with a better official

All uve done is slag the refs off and call them twats? How’s that not passing the buck?

Edited by Stanley30

1 hour ago, bluehobbit said:

Did we play with 1 up front again last night?

Yeh the lad from West Ham. Then I imagine the brief was for Gervaro and Lang to get up alongside coming in from the wings. Baxter in the number 10 role from what I could tell. 

Edited by super_blue