Mystery Latics watch fob

Ok I realise i should probably put this in the Andy Gorton tap room but doesn't seem to get many views and I'm hoping for many eyes = many ideas. My Daughter took this gold watch fob dated 1906 in for pawn today. She sent me the pic knowing I would be interested, I am!! Does anyone have a clue what the association with the club might be? 

thumbnail.jpg

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Hmm random. Could WC be Winston Churchill? He was Oldham MP to 1906. No idea what OAAFCF is though, unless C = Conservatives/

Picking up on that in 1906 Churchill spoke about the Transvaal War Contribution. Churchill was Under-Secretary of State for the Colonies  WC  could be the War Contribution ?. Transvaal became a self governing colony in 1906

Edited by singe

3 hours ago, markgaston said:

Ok I realise i should probably put this in the Andy Gorton tap room but doesn't seem to get many views and I'm hoping for many eyes = many ideas. My Daughter took this gold watch fob dated 1906 in for pawn today. She sent me the pic knowing I would be interested, I am!! Does anyone have a clue what the association with the club might be? 

thumbnail.jpg

Is she interested in selling it Mark? Just couldn't quite make out what you meant by your daughter took it to the pawn shop but that you might be interested in it.

53 minutes ago, singe said:

Is she interested in selling it Mark? Just couldn't quite make out what you meant by your daughter took it to the pawn shop but that you might be interested in it.

She’s a jeweller and pawnbroker in Oldham. A guy she describes as a regular ‘gold dealer’ brought it in today with other items to pawn. She’s going to ask him if it’s for sale for me. I wondered could it be some kind of testimonial medal, dated 11 years after the club began?? 1906 was the last year Winston Churchill sat in Oldham (then as a liberal) but why would there be a full stop between his initials??

6 hours ago, markgaston said:

She’s a jeweller and pawnbroker in Oldham. A guy she describes as a regular ‘gold dealer’ brought it in today with other items to pawn. She’s going to ask him if it’s for sale for me. I wondered could it be some kind of testimonial medal, dated 11 years after the club began?? 1906 was the last year Winston Churchill sat in Oldham (then as a liberal) but why would there be a full stop between his initials??

Ah that makes sense. Wonder if the gold chap was told anything.? 

7 hours ago, markgaston said:

Dont think i would be happy if my daughter worked in pawn

• Like 1

Manchester Grammar school has 'Sapere Aude' as its motto!?

The badge has some similarities to the item being pawned - 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Grammar_School#/media/File:The_Manchester_Grammar_School_Coat_of_Arms.png

Maybe something in a similar guise to this - 

https://goo.gl/images/yHheoL

Edited by thetramfixer

20 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

The 3 symbols on the shield are Oldham though not MGS.

yeah like i say, it has some similarities .. the pendant/medal has 3 red roses for one, but besides that it's extremely similar so thought the OP might want to divert their search somewhat!

Their Founder was a bloke called Hugh Oldham too ...  there's possibly a link in that way?

Edited by thetramfixer