Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
markgaston

Mystery Latics watch fob

Recommended Posts

Ok I realise i should probably put this in the Andy Gorton tap room but doesn't seem to get many views and I'm hoping for many eyes = many ideas. My Daughter took this gold watch fob dated 1906 in for pawn today. She sent me the pic knowing I would be interested, I am!! Does anyone have a clue what the association with the club might be? 

thumbnail.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm random. Could WC be Winston Churchill? He was Oldham MP to 1906. No idea what OAAFCF is though, unless C = Conservatives/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Hmm random. Could WC be Winston Churchill? He was Oldham MP to 1906. No idea what OAAFCF is though, unless C = Conservatives/

Picking up on that in 1906 Churchill spoke about the Transvaal War Contribution. Churchill was Under-Secretary of State for the Colonies  WC  could be the War Contribution ?. Transvaal became a self governing colony in 1906

 

Edited by singe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, markgaston said:

Ok I realise i should probably put this in the Andy Gorton tap room but doesn't seem to get many views and I'm hoping for many eyes = many ideas. My Daughter took this gold watch fob dated 1906 in for pawn today. She sent me the pic knowing I would be interested, I am!! Does anyone have a clue what the association with the club might be? 

thumbnail.jpg

Is she interested in selling it Mark? Just couldn't quite make out what you meant by your daughter took it to the pawn shop but that you might be interested in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, singe said:

Is she interested in selling it Mark? Just couldn't quite make out what you meant by your daughter took it to the pawn shop but that you might be interested in it.

She’s a jeweller and pawnbroker in Oldham. A guy she describes as a regular ‘gold dealer’ brought it in today with other items to pawn. She’s going to ask him if it’s for sale for me. I wondered could it be some kind of testimonial medal, dated 11 years after the club began?? 1906 was the last year Winston Churchill sat in Oldham (then as a liberal) but why would there be a full stop between his initials??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, markgaston said:

She’s a jeweller and pawnbroker in Oldham. A guy she describes as a regular ‘gold dealer’ brought it in today with other items to pawn. She’s going to ask him if it’s for sale for me. I wondered could it be some kind of testimonial medal, dated 11 years after the club began?? 1906 was the last year Winston Churchill sat in Oldham (then as a liberal) but why would there be a full stop between his initials??

Ah that makes sense. Wonder if the gold chap was told anything.? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, markgaston said:

She’s a jeweller and pawnbroker in Oldham. A guy she describes as a regular ‘gold dealer’ brought it in today with other items to pawn. She’s going to ask him if it’s for sale for me. I wondered could it be some kind of testimonial medal, dated 11 years after the club began?? 1906 was the last year Winston Churchill sat in Oldham (then as a liberal) but why would there be a full stop between his initials??

Dont think i would be happy if my daughter worked in pawn

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Dont think i would be happy if my daughter worked in pawn

🤣🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be a medal for some kind of amateur cup competition run by Latics? The W. C. could stand for "Workshop Cup". These kind of local competitions were very common for much of the early part of last century.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manchester Grammar school has 'Sapere Aude' as its motto!?

 

The badge has some similarities to the item being pawned - 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Grammar_School#/media/File:The_Manchester_Grammar_School_Coat_of_Arms.png

 

Maybe something in a similar guise to this - 

 

https://goo.gl/images/yHheoL

Edited by thetramfixer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

The 3 symbols on the shield are Oldham though not MGS.

yeah like i say, it has some similarities .. the pendant/medal has 3 red roses for one, but besides that it's extremely similar so thought the OP might want to divert their search somewhat!

 

Their Founder was a bloke called Hugh Oldham too ...  there's possibly a link in that way?

Edited by thetramfixer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sapere Aude was the motto for Oldham Borough Council. The shield is also the shield for Oldham Borough Council. I believe the translation is Dare to Know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...