What’s people’s initial take? 

IMO It’s a concern so early in his tenture how much people are saying we look lacklustre. I know the squad isn’t great. But how can our play be so insipid, and bereft of fight? We don’t look like what I imagined a Scholes side would look like. 

Yes. Yes. It’s only been 6/7 games. It’s. Paul. Scholes! How dare I comment on him so early etc etc. 

However i I think it’s worth debate. If we limp on till the end of season, which looks very likely. Do people genuinely feel excited about next season? I don’t. While we do have a maniac owner, there hasn’t even been  a ‘Paul Scholes bounce’ we also have a manager who is making excuses very early, and his team look disinterested.

Has reality bitten for Scholes???? 

Even with a few (of his own) signings in the summer, are people confident in his ability to get the best out of a group? 

YOU DONT NEED TO POST HOW OFFEENED YOU ARE AT THIS POST. I ONLY WANT TO HAVE A NATTER. IF YOU DISAGREE; PUTTING ‘FFS’ ISNT NECESSARY.  😉

• Like 1

To be fair to Paul Scholes. Or just Paul. Or "Scholeseh". He simply has to be given the opportunity to bring players in during the summer when the window reopens. Through injury / stubbornness / owner's crackpot kneejerk reactions we've been left with no steel in midfield and we're finding ourselves constantly bullied out of matches after an initial 20 or 30 minutes of being on top. It doesn't really matter who is in charge, this division is unforgiving when you have a midfield with no heart. Not only that, but Wild and Bunn at least had the benefit of a fairly lethal striker with Surridge.

TBH, The jury's out with me with regards to PS. Impossible to tell off the time he's had so far so I guess he's using the time to experiment and work out what's required.

• Like 5

A very poor start and I’m really struggling to see the foundations being laid for August so we can push on for the top 7.

BUT I’ll reserve judgement until about 10 games into next season, he needs time and it would be ridiculous to oust him over the summer.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 2

Bit concerning that the shot data has fallen off a cliff although things would look and feel a bit different without the late goals conceded.

Unfortunately we are reaping what was sown in a disastrous transfer window, generally our season has still been alive at this time in recent years so can understand fan frustration that things seem to be petering out with a wimper, can't go along with idea that Bunn or Wild would be doing any better though.

A few players look like they need the season to end and maybe some have been told already that futures lie elsewhere.

Think we knew what we were getting with Scholes and while it has been an underwhelming start it is ridiculous to judge until he has the squad he wants in place, have a little patience as the great Gary Barlow once said.

• Like 1

As he said in his initial interview, it isnt going to happen this year. IMO it is always going to be an 18 month contract. If we are top 5 or 6 after 15 games next season its going to plan. If we are top 4, its above expectation. I expect us to be all but promoted this time next year with Scholes still at the helm.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

YOU DONT NEED TO POST HOW OFFEENED YOU ARE AT THIS POST. I ONLY WANT TO HAVE A NATTER. IF YOU DISAGREE; PUTTING ‘FFS’ ISNT NECESSARY.  😉

No need to shout and just because someone disagrees doesnt mean they are "offended" Its the most over used expression on the internet.

The reality is that Scholes is learning what being a league 2 or league 1 manager is all about. Many will come in with ideas of how they want their team to play and the reality is you have to work with what players you've got and try get results with them. It wont always come off and you will need skin as thick as a Sun Reader to get through it.

The owner is going to have to accept that his recruitment strategy isn't working if he wants this to work hes going to have to adapt it, because all he's doing is pissing his own money up the wall on players that aren't good enough, and hes also going to need to back his manager. Hes also needs to accept that Oldham Athletic needs someone who can administer it from a commercial point of view and hire a CEO and some directors to run it on a day to day basis.

The fans are also going to have accept whether they like it or not that our policy of hiring and firing managers is failing. In the last 4 years we have changed manager 9 times. From a team that was on the fringes of the league 1 play offs under Lee Johnson to now being in the doldrums of league 2. We have to conclude that while its not the only reason we are where we are, its definitely contributed to that outcome. Their is no quick fix to the problems at Oldham Athletic.

In short its not a particularly new idea or radical thought but we are just going to have to back the manager and the club. The only thing I would ask of Scholes right now is well you have seen what this club is about right now how much do you want this? If he 100% wants this and wants to make it a success then I suggest we stick with him.

Last night we came up against a club that has a manager in place (a very good one) who has built a side and a club up over a few years now. Scholes might want to pick his brains about what being a manager at this level is all about.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The fans are also going to have accept wether they like it or not that our policy of hiring and firing managers is failing. In the last 4 years we have changed manager 9 times. From a team that was on the fringes of the league 1 play offs under Lee Johnson to now in the doldrums of league 2 we have to conclude that while its not the only reason while we are where we are its definitely contributed to that outcome.

Maybe not knowing what to look for when recruiting a manager is our problem rather than hiring and firing?

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

A very poor start and I’m really struggling to see the foundations being laid for August so we can push on for the top 7.

BUT I’ll reserve judgement until about 10 games into next season, he needs time and it would be ridiculous to oust him over the summer.

The classic ten games!

The optimist in me hopes that part of the deal of scholes coming is that him and his team were being given the rest of the season to assess the squad and learn the ropes, then will be given the summer to overhaul the squad and bring in the players they think can have us challenging for the title next season. 

The pessimist in me worries that it was all done on a wing and a prayer by all parties and none of them really know what’s going to happen next. 

But pretty clear to see a lot of the squad seem to be either on the beach or know they’re out the door. 

28 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Maybe not knowing what to look for when recruiting a manager is our problem rather than hiring and firing?

Well we all want a manager who is going to deliver instant results and will be happy to work at OAFC with all the shit that comes with it for years and years without being attracted by numerous better offers that will no doubt come about. Those managers only exist in the world of Football Manager.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

Well we all want a manager who is going to deliver instant results and will be happy to work at OAFC with all the shit that comes with it for years and years without being attracted by numerous better offers that will no doubt come about. Those managers only exist in the world of Football Manager.

Are you saying we should have stuck with Kelly, Dunn or Wellens, then?

Edited by JoeP

He obviously should be given time to get a squad next season, as he inherited a very poor squad.

But the worry for me is that we will not be able to afford top drawer players so he has to get more out of lesser players. I was hoping that one of the attributes was wanting to play for PS. So far, there is no sign players want to play for him, or that he can get more out of them. The squad is not greater than the sum of its parts.

Early days but no signs of shoots of our recovery yet. 

• Like 1

I think the struggle this season is the best thing to happen to us.  

Yes it’s frustrating but if did well this season then we’re papering over the cracks of a really poor squad and most likely we would be extending the current crop’s deals.  A fired-up squad against Fulham aside, the positives have been outweighed by the negatives even before Scholes was appointed.

Testament is July.  If we’re approaching mid-month and no activity then warning bells.  That’s if Scholes is still here though.  If we continue to struggle this season and the fans get on his back then I can see him walking away even before then.

Therefore, Scholes should be judged on next season, not this one.  On paper he’s got an experienced, extremely well-regarded assistant in Priest.  Between him and Scholes, the tactics and coaching should be there but it’s wholly dependent upon skill and application of players. You do have to consider whether another new manager could get a tune from some or most of our current squad.   Time to clear the decks.....

• Like 2

Simply cannot expect him to polish a turd....The squad is abysmal. Looking at last night you would keep:

Iverson

Edmundson

Clarke

Hamer

Missilou

Nepo

Baxter

Lang

I would possibly keep mouche but for some reason he's spent more time falling over since Baxter took more of a hold of the ball.

The rest of the squad can go for me...

If you look at what he's been given, how anyone can criticize him is beyond me We've got 6 players in the entire squad at a push who belong to us who actually are half decent at this level.

Edited by Fruitygoo
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

No Im saying we should atleast give Scholes a fair crack of the whip, and that most managers with any decent pedigree will want a better job than the Oldham one.

Depends how much we're paying - if we broke the bank for Scholes then surely we could have afforded Grayson or Evans who have a proven record at this level.  It could be yet another act of mismanagement by our owner.

Don't get me wrong - I hear what you're saying and agree to an extent, but I think there has to be something - anything - to suggest we can progress under him and he's worth investing time and money in, regardless of the factors going against him.  If the performances continue this season, it's only blind faith that he'll get it right next season..

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

We've tried every option available from the grizzled veteran to the young upstart, club legends and everything in between. It must be pretty obvious to all now that the manager is not the main issue. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Are you saying we should have stuck with Kelly, Dunn or Wellens, then?

Yes. Once we appoint a manager we have to give them time. We have no idea whether any of them were up to the task, we only know that they started badly. Kelly only got 9 games. It may well be that he would have continued to be dreadful but we will never know. After the Newport game Scholes could be 9 games in with a worse record than Kelly. If you think it was right to sack him when we did, the logical conclusion would be that Scholes should follow suit.

We need to change the mindset and treat this like the longer term plan that it should be (and a relatively quick promotion should be a fundamental part of that longer term plan).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Latics and England said:

Yes. Once we appoint a manager we have to give them time. We have no idea whether any of them were up to the task, we only know that they started badly. Kelly only got 9 games. It may well be that he would have continued to be dreadful but we will never know. After the Newport game Scholes could be 9 games in with a worse record than Kelly. If you think it was right to sack him when we did, the logical conclusion would be that Scholes should follow suit.

We need to change the mindset and treat this like the longer term plan that it should be (and a relatively quick promotion should be a fundamental part of that longer term plan).

What if you give someone time and they continue to be shit, without showing any signs of progress?  At the moment, going down that route could cost us our league status.  It's a hell of a risk giving someone time just to prove they're "up to task"...

I don't expect instant results, but I expect signs that Scholes, with the backing, is the man to take us forward.  I find quite unbelievable that people are happy for him to go through the motions for the rest of this season in the vague hope that he'll get it right next season.  If I was a season ticket holder, I'd be pretty darn insulted and be telling the club to shove the prospect of buying one next season up their arse..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Depends how much we're paying - if we broke the bank for Scholes then surely we could have afforded Grayson or Evans who have a proven record at this level.  It could be yet another act of mismanagement by our owner.

Cant be arsed researching this but what is Grayson and Evans record by club for the first 15 games after they join as manager?  Add to this the playing budgets at those clubs and work out some pro-rata points deduction so we’re comparing apples with apples on the resources each manager had versus what Scholes currently has.

Give Scholes the term of his contract and then compare.

16 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

We've tried every option available from the grizzled veteran to the young upstart, club legends and everything in between. It must be pretty obvious to all now that the manager is not the main issue. 

The grizzled veteran (Sheridan?) or young upstart (Johnson?) actually did alright for us.  I'd take either...it's everything in between that have been shite.

Edited by JoeP