2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

What if you give someone time and they continue to be shit, without showing any signs of progress?  At the moment, going down that route could cost us our league status.  It's a hell of a risk giving someone time just to prove they're "up to task"...

I don't expect instant results, but I expect signs that Scholes, with the backing, is the man to take us forward.  I find quite unbelievable that people are happy for him to go through the motions for the rest of this season in the vague hope that he'll get it right next season.  If I was a season ticket holder, I'd be pretty darn insulted and be telling the club to shove the prospect of buying one next season up their arse..

He hasn't had any backing yet though...

34 minutes ago, Fruitygoo said:

Simply cannot expect him to polish a turd....The squad is abysmal. Looking at last night you would keep:

Iverson

Edmundson

Clarke

Hamer

Missilou

Nepo

Baxter

Lang

I would possibly keep mouche but for some reason he's spent more time falling over since Baxter took more of a hold of the ball.

The rest of the squad can go for me...

If you look at what he's been given, how anyone can criticize him is beyond me We've got 6 players in the entire squad at a push who belong to us who actually are half decent at this level.

Be surprised if PS keeps Mouche.

Has good technique, but little desire for a battle IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

He hasn't had any backing yet though...

I get that - what I'm saying is this season he should be showing signs this season that he deserves backing in the summer.  Just going through the motions this season and blaming the squad/tiredness/pitch, etc is unacceptable...any fuckwit could do that.

• Like 1

Can we stop blaming managers please and point the finger at the fuckwit in charge, it's all well and good using another manager as an excuse but the reality is we have a chairman who is fucking classless, clueless with a hint of a clown, we are currently as low as I've ever known us with a squad without the loanees who'd be playing non league next season.

Of course we've had some duffer mangers in the past decade but the one constant and the main contributing factor to our demise is the cunts we've had running our club, I'd suggest AL needs to buck his ideas up and sharpish because as things stand he's only taking us one way.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Bit concerning that the shot data has fallen off a cliff although things would look and feel a bit different without the late goals conceded.

Unfortunately we are reaping what was sown in a disastrous transfer window, generally our season has still been alive at this time in recent years so can understand fan frustration that things seem to be petering out with a wimper, can't go along with idea that Bunn or Wild would be doing any better though.

A few players look like they need the season to end and maybe some have been told already that futures lie elsewhere.

Think we knew what we were getting with Scholes and while it has been an underwhelming start it is ridiculous to judge until he has the squad he wants in place, have a little patience as the great Gary Barlow once said.

Think the demob happy aspect is about right, PS needs to be strong and drop those who have this attitude, at least fans will know those he selects want to play for the club, even if its youth.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Can we stop blaming managers please and point the finger at the fuckwit in charge, it's all well and good using another manager as an excuse but the reality is we have a chairman who is fucking classless, clueless with a hint of a clown, we are currently as low as I've ever known us with a squad without the loanees who'd be playing non league next season.

Of course we've had some duffer mangers in the past decade but the one constant and the main contributing factor to our demise is the cunts we've had running our club, I'd suggest AL needs to buck his ideas up and sharpish because as things stand he's only taking us one way.

I agree, but I actually think it might be easier to find a manager who can work under AL than a new owner who wants to take the club on and invest..

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I get that - what I'm saying is this season he should be showing signs this season that he deserves backing in the summer.  Just going through the motions this season and blaming the squad/tiredness/pitch, etc is unacceptable...any fuckwit could do that.

The purpose of bringing him in was to raise profile of club and attract players who otherwise wouldn't come so those rules don't really apply.

Think people need a reality check. The squad even from the start of the season has been poor Miller, Coke, OGrady, Branger, Hunt to name a few. With two days of the window to go I very much doubt scholes has much chance to do the business he really wanted. 

Maybe scholes thought the players he had on paper were good enough. We don’t know. 

To lose Surridge and not replace him for me was the moment I gave up on promotion. Ogrady vera Dearney or dapo were never going to get us there. 

Season now needs to have a line drawn under it and steps to start securing the likes of nepo for next season and really planning for a big promotion push. You never know our next sponsor may give us some much needed revenue. 

Time to move on and start building hopes for next year. 

Play some youth team players now for the last 9 games blending them with the first team and see what future potential we have at our disposal. 

Edited by adamoafc

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The purpose of bringing him in was to raise profile of club and attract players who otherwise wouldn't come so those rules don't really apply.

How do you think the profile of the club will look if we continue in this vein until the end of the season?  The media furore around Scholes' appointment has pretty much vanished already.  Do you think players will still want to come and play for Scholes if he continues to show no indication that he knows what he's doing?

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

How do you think the profile of the club will look if we continue in this vein until the end of the season?  The media furore around Scholes' appointment has pretty much vanished already.  Do you think players will still want to come and play for Scholes if he continues to show no indication that he knows what he's doing?

Continues? Bit hysterical that.

We'll be near enough title favourites when the betting opens.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

We've tried every option available from the grizzled veteran to the young upstart, club legends and everything in between. It must be pretty obvious to all now that the manager is not the main issue. 

Hallelujah,

Its been obvious to me for some time. I know scholes has said he believes the current squad have ability and are good etc. but when they're all you have you can't say anything else.

I don't want to see anymore overlooked "gems" from the French wrigleys spearmint gum north leagues or the Romanian lilets with wings league either. 

Maybe we should be looking north of the border again. 

• Like 1

Id suggest most of this squad knows their days are numbered in the summer (either because of the chairman or the manager) and are not arsed as they believe they can get better deals in the summer.

most of the rest are not good enough to play the way the manager wants, Baxter can see it and his frustration is clear.

Combined it adds up to a shit close to the season. Roll on next season with renewed optimism, a new pitch and more dreams and hope to be crushed crushed.

Edited by palmer1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

The grizzled veteran (Sheridan?) or young upstart (Johnson?) actually did alright for us.  I'd take either...it's everything in between that have been shite.

I'm going back as far as Talbot and Moore for grizzled and for young upstart we cam throw the likes of Kelly, Dunn and Wellens in. 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Us ambling to the end of the season will have no impact on our ability to recruit this summer. A decent budget and a proper clear strategy on that will.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

Hallelujah,

Its been obvious to me for some time. I know scholes has said he believes the current squad have ability and are good etc. but when they're all you have you can't say anything else.

I don't want to see anymore overlooked "gems" from the French wrigleys spearmint gum north leagues or the Romanian lilets with wings league either. 

Maybe we should be looking north of the border again. 

Tranmere seem to be doing alright with mainly ex non league players, one even from our doorstep in Jennings.

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

No reason he shouldn't be criticised by anyone over results and performances, he dished out enough on TV himself.

56 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Us ambling to the end of the season will have no impact on our ability to recruit this summer. A decent budget and a proper clear strategy on that will.

It might (should) effect season ticket sales and therefore the budget.

3 hours ago, Fruitygoo said:

Simply cannot expect him to polish a turd....The squad is abysmal. Looking at last night you would keep:

Iverson

Edmundson

Clarke

Hamer

Missilou

Nepo

Baxter

Lang

I would possibly keep mouche but for some reason he's spent more time falling over since Baxter took more of a hold of the ball.

The rest of the squad can go for me...

If you look at what he's been given, how anyone can criticize him is beyond me We've got 6 players in the entire squad at a push who belong to us who actually are half decent at this level.

Stott, Hunt, Gardner and Dearnley are in the take it or leave it bracket.  Other than that I agree.  Don't see either Iversen or Lang staying but the rest could usefully fit in to a promotion winning squad.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm going back as far as Talbot and Moore for grizzled and for young upstart we cam throw the likes of Kelly, Dunn and Wellens in. 

Depends on the definition of a “young upstart”, I suppose, but Johnson seemed to have the confidence/arrogance in combination with the right energy that Dunn, Wellens and Kelly just never did..I count them as somewhere in the middle.

Moore shouldn’t have been sacked. Talbot lost it towards the end...but did mastermind the victory over City in the cup!

10 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Stott, Hunt, Gardner and Dearnley are in the take it or leave it bracket.  Other than that I agree.  Don't see either Iversen or Lang staying but the rest could usefully fit in to a promotion winning squad.

Stott - It's harsh to judge him on his recent appearance so you may be right.

Hunt for me is replaceable - Defensively average and poor going forward. He's been a huge disappointment since his permanent move as I thought he had huge potential.

Dearnley - Doesn't stand out at this level like Surridge did and I think there will be better options

Gardner - Not for me, don't think he brings much to the side.

If we could get Lang / Iverson for next year that would be a great start but I suspect we'll end up building from a core of 6/7 players 

All else aside I've never known a manager get such unconditional backing for years - probably since Ritchie? 

I'd have no issue with someone saying "yes it's been shit but I'm going to give this bloke more time than I normally would a manager/I've got a good feeling despite all the evidence to the contrary so far"

That'd be fair enough. I've done it many a time myself (and been wrong every single time :lol: )

It's all the "at least he's got us playing better football" kind of stuff that gets me. Based on what? - I haven't seen any of it. 

Why can't people just be honest?

I even had this on Twitter yesterday "since he’s come in,we are pressing high up the field and winning the ball back we have a 3 attackers chasing down 1 of there defenders most of the time I’ve never seen Oldham play like that ever" :lol: 

• Like 1