Jump to content

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Fruitygoo said:

 

Stott - It's harsh to judge him on his recent appearance so you may be right.


Hunt for me is replaceable - Defensively average and poor going forward. He's been a huge disappointment since his permanent move as I thought he had huge potential.

 

Dearnley - Doesn't stand out at this level like Surridge did and I think there will be better options

 

Gardner - Not for me, don't think he brings much to the side.

 

If we could get Lang / Iverson for next year that would be a great start but I suspect we'll end up building from a core of 6/7 players 

 

 

That means about 20 new signings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Season is well and truly over but it's vital we don't just keel over and give up and end up finishing near the bottom. Some of the players just aren't good enough/have the desire to wear the shirt. 

If Scholes was to be sacked i'd wash my hands of the club and watch someone else. The owner is a total clown. It really could be a Stockport special this time next year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Season is well and truly over but it's vital we don't just keel over and give up and end up finishing near the bottom. Some of the players just aren't good enough/have the desire to wear the shirt. 

If Scholes was to be sacked i'd wash my hands of the club and watch someone else. The owner is a total clown. It really could be a Stockport special this time next year.

 

You stated the fear in us all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BP1960 said:

 

You stated the fear in us all. 

Got absolutely murdered for it as well. I did have a brief fleeting moment of hope last month but it was clear to see in the summer how bad things are. 

Nothing will change next season as well unless there is a change of mentality in the boardroom!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

 

No reason he shouldn't be criticised by anyone over results and performances, he dished out enough on TV himself.

It's a bit differant having a go at  Mourinho who was obviously picking multi-million pound Premiership players in the wrong positions and thus vastly under-performing to the bunch of players we've got.

The ex-United manager was picking players out of position and not playing to their strengths (Pogba and Rashford the obvious ones) and having inherited a poor defence which is the main tenet of his style. I'm hoping Scholes is assessing our current squad for an end of season cull and can use his contacts to bring in loan players similar to the quality of this season's.

If he fails after that then it's open season for criticism but until then I'll keep my powder dry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It's a bit differant having a go at  Mourinho who was obviously picking multi-million pound Premiership players in the wrong positions and thus vastly under-performing to the bunch of players we've got.

The ex-United manager was picking players out of position and not playing to their strengths (Pogba and Rashford the obvious ones) and having inherited a poor defence which is the main tenet of his style. I'm hoping Scholes is assessing our current squad for an end of season cull and can use his contacts to bring in loan players similar to the quality of this season's.

If he fails after that then it's open season for criticism but until then I'll keep my powder dry. 

 

So we shouldn't  criticise him if these poor performances continue right until the end of the season?

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

 

That means about 20 new signings?

 

I think anybody who can put together a solid squad of 18-20 players can comfortably be a success in this league. I think its an awful standard.... 

 

What we need is a hardworking unspectacular but consistent bunch who hit 7/10 week in week out. I watched Lincoln last night and nobody really stood out as being exceptional quality but they work hard as a bunch and know how they want to play then stick to it. 

 

I think a core 6 plus 10/12 additions, couple of loanees and any youth player with any quality should be enough if everyone is pulling in the right direction and the manager has a plan. 

 

Its a big clear out but let's face it, its required... 

Edited by Fruitygoo
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

 

So we shouldn't  criticise him if these poor performances continue right until the end of the season?

You can if you want but I don't see what good it'll do. As I said, I'm a bit more patient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

 

So we shouldn't  criticise him if these poor performances continue right until the end of the season?

 

I think Im prepared to give plenty of leeway however I dont want them to take the piss. A defeat away at the league leaders shouldn't be seen as disastrous at this stage. However I do think a few wins shouldn't be too much to ask for between now and May.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

 

Why?

 

Probably because there isn't a better alternative. Gary Bowyer ruled himself out of working for our owner..... no-one with a track record in the lower league is likely to touch us. Your alternatives were Askey and Pressley..... do you think they'd have done any better?

 

I'm with @GlossopLatic. One assumes/hopes Scholes' contacts and profile might help us with domestic recruitment over the summer, assuming he hasn't chucked it in cos Lesmagam is back to his old tricks of unloading a lorry load of substandard foreigners on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

 

One assumes/hopes Scholes' contacts and profile might help us with domestic recruitment over the summer, 

 

Worryingly we also have to hope he becomes better at managing than he has been so far.

 

I'd prefer it if we were sat here with him having have already dragged a bit more out of them than Bunn and Wild did (or at least the same) AND be hoping he can attract a better standard of signing than we've been used to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

 

Probably because there isn't a better alternative. Gary Bowyer ruled himself out of working for our owner..... no-one with a track record in the lower league is likely to touch us. Your alternatives were Askey and Pressley..... do you think they'd have done any better?

 

I'm with @GlossopLatic

 

What does he mean by "leeway" though - that he should be immune from deserved criticism? 

Why?

 

Nobody who I've seen worrying about how poor he's been and how far we've gone backwards has "called for his head" as far as I've seen - so everbody's giving him leeway if that's the way he means it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't give a shit about this season anymore.  Scholes should get the chance to see it out and have the opportunity to make changes to the squad ahead of next season.  I'll start judging him then.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

 

Worryingly we also have to hope he becomes better at managing than he has been so far.

 

I'd prefer it if we were sat here with him having have already dragged a bit more out of them than Bunn and Wild did (or at least the same) AND be hoping he can attract a better standard of signing than we've been used to. 

 

Yep, we do...... but I refer the honourable gentleman back to the alternative(s)..... or lack of them.

 

Until any combination of; the owner disappears back to Dubai and someone/anyone with a modicum of common sense takes the reigns to run the thing properly, he appoints a proper Chief Exec/Effective board to challenge his hare-brained ideas/we develop a sustainable Plan and/or the land/stand ownership falls into the hands of people who actually give a fk about the club.... this is your lot, like it or lump it.

Edited by lookersstandandy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It's a bit differant having a go at  Mourinho who was obviously picking multi-million pound Premiership players in the wrong positions and thus vastly under-performing to the bunch of players we've got.

The ex-United manager was picking players out of position and not playing to their strengths (Pogba and Rashford the obvious ones) and having inherited a poor defence which is the main tenet of his style. I'm hoping Scholes is assessing our current squad for an end of season cull and can use his contacts to bring in loan players similar to the quality of this season's.

If he fails after that then it's open season for criticism but until then I'll keep my powder dry. 

So Wild with NO managerial experience and Bunn with NO managerial experience manage to get some decent performances out of this squad.

So far our one of the best ever players so he must be good as we kept(keep) being told has managed to waste what little is left of the season by blowing any real hopes of a play off position.

 

20 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Probably because there isn't a better alternative. Gary Bowyer ruled himself out of working for our owner..... no-one with a track record in the lower league is likely to touch us. Your alternatives were Askey and Pressley..... do you think they'd have done any better?

 

We will never know-but you know whats coming next-would they be any worse?

Like HB I am not calling for his head but believe he should be showing some nous about this game. Worrying.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

 

What does he mean by "leeway" though - that he should be immune from deserved criticism? 

Why?

 

Nobody who I've seen worrying about how poor he's been and how far we've gone backwards has "called for his head" as far as I've seen - so everbody's giving him leeway if that's the way he means it.

 

 

No, he certainly shouldn't be immune..... but until he's had the chance to genuinely influence recruitment - if indeed Lemsagam will allow him - & hopefully the state of the fkin pitch - if Lemsagam will put his hand in his pocket - he's somewhat hamstrung with the dross/circumstances he's been presented with. I agree with your observation that he's underwhelmed after 6 games..... but it's 6 fkin games.... with the circus that surrounds him. Why has Rob Hunt gone to pot? Is it bacause Scholes is coaching him badly, or is it because Hunt hates the fkin place having been treated like a naughty schoolboy by the owner? How many of the playing staff are itching to get away because of reasons out of Scholes' control?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

 

Yep, we do...... but I refer the honourable gentleman back to the alternative(s)..... or lack of them.

 

What have the alternatives got to do with anything? Nobody is suggesting he should be sacked...

 

With regards to Askey and Pressley - yes I do think they would have done better than Scholes has so far. But that doesn't mean I'd rather have had either of them ahead of Scholes....

I too want to see how it pans out. But I'm worried at the same time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

 

Why?

 

Because:

 

-The squad isnt good enough

-He's learning the ropes as a manager

-He hasnt been given any scope to bring anyone in.

-Has had very little time to implement anything.

-He or anyoneelse cant click their fingers and suddenly turn this team into a winning team.

-Id say the same thing if Grayson or Evans (neither of whom wanted the job infact 1 turned it down when we were in the league above) were in charge.

 

Why didn't you quote the whole sentence where I clearly said I didnt want them to take the piss.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

 

Worryingly we also have to hope he becomes better at managing than he has been so far.

 

I'd prefer it if we were sat here with him having have already dragged a bit more out of them than Bunn and Wild did (or at least the same) AND be hoping he can attract a better standard of signing than we've been used to. 

He might not need to be very good if better players are secured...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

 

What have the alternatives got to do with anything? Nobody is suggesting he should be sacked...

 

With regards to Askey and Pressley - yes I do think they would have done better than Scholes has so far. But that doesn't mean I'd rather have had either of them ahead of Scholes....

I too want to see how it pans out. But I'm worried at the same time. 

 

.....I'm more worried about Lemsagam than Scholes..... but both are underachieving, one having been here formally for 14 months, the other for 1...... I know which is easier to judge & should be receiving the lionshare of attention/inquisition at this juncture.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

He might not need to be very good if better players are secured...

That is the hugest "if" though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

 

-He or anyoneelse cant click their fingers and suddenly turn this team into a winning team.

 

Why didn't you quote the whole sentence where I clearly said I didnt want them to take the piss.

 

I bet someone could. 

 

Because I wanted to talk about Scholes not "them" by which I assumed you meant the players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

 

I bet someone could. 

 

Because I wanted to talk about Scholes not "them" by which I assumed you meant the players. 

 

The type of managers that could usually dont want to manage Oldham. One manager that could (who himself had a transfer window to rejig the squad) fell out with the current owner and was sacked by him.

 

Another point here, the reason we have often had to sack managers such as Kelly, Dunn, Robinson and even Dickov is that their was a genuine danger of relegation if it carried on. Therefore the option of giving the manager time became alot more risky.

 

Giving Scholes time right now to learn is a pretty much risk free option right now we aint going down season ticket sales wont be drastically effected either way I dont think. So its abit to when those people were sacked we know our starting point next season and we can plan for it. What Scholes needs to be doing now is learning as much as possible. If he doesn't he will pay for it with his job and probably any chance he has of making it in management.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

 

Worryingly we also have to hope he becomes better at managing than he has been so far.

 

I'd prefer it if we were sat here with him having have already dragged a bit more out of them than Bunn and Wild did (or at least the same) AND be hoping he can attract a better standard of signing than we've been used to. 

He is not a manager yet. He is a high-profile employee of the club, who Lemsagam and the fans hope will turn out to be capable of doing the job, exploiting his contacts and getting the club back into League One. It's a big ask of a rookie, no matter his previous playing career and public profile. At least Bunn and Wild had experience in man-management. Scholes, as far as I am aware, has none.

 

I'm not disagreeing with your thoughts, just trying to be pragmatic rather than worried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...