Scholes gone

29 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Of course we weren't going to win the league when Scholes walked in.

You cant win owt though when you walk out after a month.

PW might be a flash in the pan but hes had two decent stints either side of PS taking charge.

Perhaps PW might do even better under another chairman who treats his staff like human beings.

As things stand I cant see any other manager coming here and doing a better job because as you say we have no pot to piss in.

I have nothing against PW and wish him all the luck in the world, equally I saw as many did, that PS would be given a chance and that the rumours about the owner and his brother were bollocks, but the slating of not only PS after his resignation but also all the rest of the shit managers we’ve ever had, regardless of results I might add is appalling.

my main point is, that regardless of manager, no one will ever be good enough to manage Oldham for some of the w4nk3rs on OWTB, and I make no apology for the language, even Pep would fail here, Joe Royle was in the job 8 years before we won anything of note. 

The phrase I use at work is managing expectations, some on here would do well to look in the mirror....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Lees Latics said:

I have nothing against PW and wish him all the luck in the world, equally I saw as many did, that PS would be given a chance and that the rumours about the owner and his brother were bollocks, but the slating of not only PS after his resignation but also all the rest of the shit managers we’ve ever had, regardless of results I might add is appalling.

my main point is, that regardless of manager, no one will ever be good enough to manage Oldham for some of the w4nk3rs on OWTB, and I make no apology for the language, even Pep would fail here, Joe Royle was in the job 8 years before we won anything of note. 

The phrase I use at work is managing expectations, some on here would do well to look in the mirror....

Scholes bottled it. Keep your mirror

6 hours ago, Lees Latics said:

The world of football is full of shit manager's and expectations at Oldham are once again being fully met by guy who's had to step in for a second time and from a lower position because Billy Big Bollocks threw a tant, when he realised he was out of his depth.

If Scholes acknowledged some of the blame, many would have left it at that but like Wellens it's always somebody elses fault.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

What does this oft spouted cliché mean?

Probably not a definition for it, more of a feel of it. I'll try to explain my twist of a family club.

Run by people who care and have good values

Respect history

Respect the local area and those who reside there

Respect the fans present and those sadly departed

Understand what those fans who have been there along time expect and want from their club

Understand that new generation and young fans will have grown up with family members who were also fans of the club and will have heard lots of good and bad stories from, Dads, Grandads, Uncles, Brothers etc..

Know that we know our limits and understand we want to be entertained, shown hard work by players and staff who give 100%

Interaction with fans and the community

Local people and fans working within the club

To be not seen as an unrealistic money making project

Keeping your identity and remaining real and grounded

Promote friendly atmospheres where all feel safe and welcome

Accepting the game has changed off the pitch and the gap is huge between the top clubs and the rest of us, but not letting this change us, hard graft, dedication and on field success can still bring good times.

I would always say Everton had a more family feel than that of Liverpool and City over United but this is a different level now and to a galaxy apart from us.

There are lots of clubs who are described this way, if you have been around football a while I am sure you know this.

Is AL bothered about those things I list, no he is not, we are just a base for him, something he can use for his own means.

As for "oft spouted cliché "    It is much more than that, it describes the club I love and grew up with.

9 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Well it is. You put on the names of the players you want in. If AL didn't like it he could have sacked him. If not it's down to scholes to put on that who he wants

I think that Scholes pretty much stood firm against AL and his brother, at least initially anyway, because he was convinced that they had a ‘no interference’ agreement. 

The Rob Hunt situation illustrates it. As soon as Scholes goes, Hunt is immediately out of the team.

PW is in no position to stand up to the owner.

8 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

I think that Scholes pretty much stood firm against AL and his brother, at least initially anyway, because he was convinced that they had a ‘no interference’ agreement. 

The Rob Hunt situation illustrates it. As soon as Scholes goes, Hunt is immediately out of the team.

PW is in no position to stand up to the owner.

Hunt isn't a very good barometer for the level of interference. His form under Scholes wouldn't warrant a starting place whatever  was happening behind the scenes. 

4 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Hunt isn't a very good barometer for the level of interference. His form under Scholes wouldn't warrant a starting place whatever  was happening behind the scenes. 

The point still stands though.

9 hours ago, Lees Latics said:

It’s appaling that managers get stick when they don’t get results. . . . Really?? 

Don't disagree with your sentiments. I just think we all expected more of Paul Scholes - even accepting it was a very short stint. There was not a single iota of "new manager bounce" (remember the first - Yeovil - result came after a 3-0 away win under PW). TBH I think we would have achieved better results without a manager i.e. Clarkey just leading as captain on the pitch. Despite all the theories, much of management comes down to the ability to "achieve results through the efforts of others". The ability to motivate is absolutely key. Allied to that, the vast majority of top leaders have "charisma" as a characteristic, so it's probably not too difficult to understand why PS will never make a good manager (in my opinion).

I like him by the way, and was actually delighted he came because, like many, I thought it raised the profile of our club and we would benefit massively from his contacts in the game. I hoped and prayed he would be a great manager for us. The way it turned out, it was an unmitigated disaster and, in the final analysis, the experiment probably cost us a chance of a play-off place.

None of this detracts from the fact that I think the root cause of Latics' problems, of course, lies elsewhere.

My expectations are as low as they have ever been, and they've never been particularly high. 

All I want is some stability and some decent performances to give us something to cheer about. 

The chuckle brothers seem to have put paid to any stability but Scholes did us no favours by vanishing in a puff of smoke. 

You are correct about pep too, even he couldn't make a success of us after seven games in charge...

15 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Also plenty who said relegation would revitalise the club. 

Where are those people spouting that shite these days?

You know what?  On the pitch this season hasn't been too bad.  It's clearer now that we've been relegated that this league is a lot shitter than the league above, but after the best part of 10 years (and the time before Shez part 1) battling relegation it is a bit refreshing to be challenging for the playoffs (granted as an outsider) rather than the being in the bottom half looking over our shoulder.  That won't last of course and in the medium/long term we'll regret last year's relegation if it isn't rectified.

The biggest disappointment is that we haven't had a stable owner who has not been burning bridges left right and centre.  It's easy to say with hindsight but if Marco had properly learned from his mistakes at the end of last season and given the lack of quality in this league, I think the playoffs or higher wouldn't have been out of our reach.

I think after seeing how things have panned out, relegation COULD have revitalised the club.  But with the chaotic nature of Marco's reign, there's no way we'll ever find out.

10 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

You know what?  On the pitch this season hasn't been too bad.  It's clearer now that we've been relegated that this league is a lot shitter than the league above, but after the best part of 10 years (and the time before Shez part 1) battling relegation it is a bit refreshing to be challenging for the playoffs (granted as an outsider) rather than the being in the bottom half looking over our shoulder.  That won't last of course and in the medium/long term we'll regret last year's relegation if it isn't rectified.

The biggest disappointment is that we haven't had a stable owner who has not been burning bridges left right and centre.  It's easy to say with hindsight but if Marco had properly learned from his mistakes at the end of last season and given the lack of quality in this league, I think the playoffs or higher wouldn't have been out of our reach.

I think after seeing how things have panned out, relegation COULD have revitalised the club.  But with the chaotic nature of Marco's reign, there's no way we'll ever find out.

I can pick the single moment our season ended... when Jack Byrne broke Fanes leg.

3 hours ago, OLDHAMADE said:

The world of football is full of shit manager's and expectations at Oldham are once again being fully met by guy who's had to step in for a second time and from a lower position because Billy Big Bollocks threw a tant, when he realised he was out of his depth.

If Scholes acknowledged some of the blame, many would have left it at that but like Wellens it's always somebody elses fault.

You honestly think if PS acknowledged some of the blame many would have left it? Not a fucking chance, the majority would have used it as a big stick to beat him with at every opportunity. 

10 minutes ago, disjointed said:

You honestly think if PS acknowledged some of the blame many would have left it? Not a fucking chance, the majority would have used it as a big stick to beat him with at every opportunity. 

By choosing the cowards way out, scholes has left himself open to eternal criticism on here and that stems from not being man enough to admit his own failings, meanwhile,

Pete wild (head down and without complaint) just gets on with what scholes should have been doing from day one and no doubts on peanuts for his efforts.

5 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

By choosing the cowards way out, scholes has left himself open to eternal criticism on here and that stems from not being man enough to admit his own failings, meanwhile,

Pete wild (head down and without complaint) just gets on with what scholes should have been doing from day one and no doubts on peanuts for his efforts.

If they were both equals and had been down the same route to becoming manager then calling Scholes a coward and Wild the opposite would be fair.

But they really haven't.

The sad truth is that Scholes doesn't need this job and could set more (relatively) ambitious terms to try and make a success of it.  Wild really can't and I sadly doubt that he'll get a job in football anywhere near the same level as the one he's had here if he gets unceremoniously booted out of our club within the next 6 months.

Wild has gone from being a fan and our youth coach to (probably) the best thing to happen to our club this season within the space of 6 months and I'll never forget what he's done for the club, he's lived (and is living) the dream.  But he currently needs the job which is why he's putting up with the shit Marco has been throwing his way and why Scholes didn't.

13 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

If they were both equals and had been down the same route to becoming manager then calling Scholes a coward and Wild the opposite would be fair.

But they really haven't.

The sad truth is that Scholes doesn't need this job and could set more (relatively) ambitious terms to try and make a success of it.  Wild really can't and I sadly doubt that he'll get a job in football anywhere near the same level as the one he's had here if he gets unceremoniously booted out of our club within the next 6 months.

Wild has gone from being a fan and our youth coach to (probably) the best thing to happen to our club this season within the space of 6 months and I'll never forget what he's done for the club, he's lived (and is living) the dream.  But he currently needs the job which is why he's putting up with the shit Marco has been throwing his way and why Scholes didn't.

I see what you are saying but if the attitude of PS actually was that he didn't "need" the job, that already implies a lack of commitment and an "I can just walk anytime" mentality. 

The chairman and his brother meddle in the politics and it appears selection of the squad but it seems PS was playing who he wanted during his time here. 

He mentioned one instance of meddling which initiated his leaving ?  That on the face of it suggests he was looking for a way out anyway and the chairman seems to lay them out like the red carpet.

2 hours ago, maximus1267 said:

Probably not a definition for it, more of a feel of it. I'll try to explain my twist of a family club.

Run by people who care and have good values

Respect history

Respect the local area and those who reside there

Respect the fans present and those sadly departed

Understand what those fans who have been there along time expect and want from their club

Understand that new generation and young fans will have grown up with family members who were also fans of the club and will have heard lots of good and bad stories from, Dads, Grandads, Uncles, Brothers etc..

Know that we know our limits and understand we want to be entertained, shown hard work by players and staff who give 100%

Interaction with fans and the community

Local people and fans working within the club

To be not seen as an unrealistic money making project

Keeping your identity and remaining real and grounded

Promote friendly atmospheres where all feel safe and welcome

Accepting the game has changed off the pitch and the gap is huge between the top clubs and the rest of us, but not letting this change us, hard graft, dedication and on field success can still bring good times.

I would always say Everton had a more family feel than that of Liverpool and City over United but this is a different level now and to a galaxy apart from us.

There are lots of clubs who are described this way, if you have been around football a while I am sure you know this.

Is AL bothered about those things I list, no he is not, we are just a base for him, something he can use for his own means.

As for "oft spouted cliché "    It is much more than that, it describes the club I love and grew up with.

Credit for you for attempting to define this, but by your definition we haven't been a family club for over 25 years. Appointing Kevin Birkett to a role at the club, nevermind Detective Shitpeas will mean we will never be a family club for a few years anyway. 

In terms of respecting the local area and those who reside there, then I'm sorry to say that Oldham Athletic are unlikely to ever meet this target again. The population of Oldham is 22.5% non-White and likely to be rising, I doubt the crowd at the football club is a quarter of that. I think our best chance in my memory to meet 11.25% (so half the rate of the population of Oldham) is with the current owner. 

Any owner who isn't a fan is going to see the club as a money making project, although heaven knows why. Selling the club to Moore nevermind the Landlords or Marco put a dent in that. 

Any club that signed Lee Hughes, nearly signed Ched Evans and has been linked with a few other nefarious characters is already in negative credit in terms of being a family club. The fact that our Community Trust do such excellent work, and the players join in too, means that negative credit is wiped out. 

But I'm sorry to say even by my definition, which is a lot less strict than your definition, Oldham Athletic is not a family club. I doubt it ever will be. 

18 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I see what you are saying but if the attitude of PS actually was that he didn't "need" the job, that already implies a lack of commitment and an "I can just walk anytime" mentality. 

The chairman and his brother meddle in the politics and it appears selection of the squad but it seems PS was playing who he wanted during his time here. 

He mentioned one instance of meddling which initiated his leaving ?  That on the face of it suggests he was looking for a way out anyway and the chairman seems to lay them out like the red carpet.

No it doesn’t it means that Scholes thought, and quite probably articulated, that if marco tells him who to pick or not pick then that’s not acceptable and a deal breaker. Then marco told him who to pick or not pick, which was not acceptable, and the deal was broken.

1 minute ago, Monty Burns said:

No it doesn’t it means that Scholes thought, and quite probably articulated, that if marco tells him who to pick or not pick then that’s not acceptable and a deal breaker. Then marco told him who to pick or not pick, which was not acceptable, and the deal was broken.

But once? just once? that still implies his heart wasn't in it anyway

14 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

In terms of respecting the local area and those who reside there, then I'm sorry to say that Oldham Athletic are unlikely to ever meet this target again. The population of Oldham is 22.5% non-White and likely to be rising, I doubt the crowd at the football club is a quarter of that. I think our best chance in my memory to meet 11.25% (so half the rate of the population of Oldham) is with the current owner.  

I think I understand what it is you are saying rude i.e. Oldham's ethnic minorities are not represented proportionately amongst Latics' attendances.

If so, the point is not at all simplistic. There has been initiative after initiative (mostly behind the scenes) to encourage Oldham's Asian community, particularly, to support the Latics. None have worked.

Again, the reasons are complex and probably too lengthy to debate on here. I wish our Asian commmunity would come along and support us; bloody hell, we need all the support we can get! I just don't think they will.

If you want to see a really concerted effort in this regard, there can be few finer examples than Bradford City (Bangla Bantams etc.). Despite the politically correct brigade hailing it as an overwhelming success, the fact is, it's hardly made a dent in the overall % of Bradford's Asian community as a % of Bradfords's home gate.

Archived