Scholes gone

1 hour ago, PlayItLivo said:

I’m not saying he’s lying, but it’s hard to see him only lasting 30 days if he was thoroughly enjoying the job. Surely he could have tried to tough it out a bit longer? I’m just more inclined to be believe that it wasn’t necessarily untenable for him to stay, but probably more that Al’s interfered a few times and Scholes not being over enchanted managing us has decided the job isn’t for him.

And that would be fine. He could have left without releasing the statement he had. The fact that he has suggests that there is more to it. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not saying he’s lying, but it’s hard to see him only lasting 30 days if he was thoroughly enjoying the job. Surely he could have tried to tough it out a bit longer? I’m just more inclined to be believe that it wasn’t necessarily untenable for him to stay, but probably more that Al’s interfered a few times and Scholes not being over enchanted managing us has decided the job isn’t for him.

My thoughts entirely. 

Did he ever really want it and want it for the right reasons? I never thought he did and I always thought he'd walk short term...

3 hours ago, hinchy said:

To be fair I did see Abdallah In Lidl on Broadway Monday night 11/03, not to say he hasn't been in and out the country, but he's definitely been here recently.

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

A guy I know who currently works in Dubai bumped into Abdallah on 28 February - so he was definitely in Dubai until the end of February.

"I have been in Dubai over the last couple of weeks and actually at ease knowing that he was in charge." is exactly what he said in the statement - are you not all nitpicking a bit? 

He could have been back and forth or just illustrating that while he had been away he was relaxed knowing Scholes had things under control....

1 hour ago, jorvik_latic said:

If that was the case, why would he leave himself open to libel by releasing the statement he did? 

Is he leaving himself open to libel? It seemed very carefully worded to me. 

We know exactly what he's alluding to but the uninitiated wouldn't....

3 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Dave, you're coming across very "kowinecki" like here. It's a tad worrying. You're better than that...

9 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

I think Scholes dropped both bollocks by believing the voices in his head saying "Paul, you have the talent to be a top manager". In reality, he was tactically inept, has no communication skills and is crap at motivation. No use asking our players to hit that tree 50 yards away. 

I had doubts about his appointment but supported him. But after yesterday's announcement, I'm really not bothered about him going.

We need stabilisation at this level.....someone who's been around Leagues 1 & 2 for a few years. 

Unbebloodylievable!! 

Who in God's name with any credibility will come in now??!! 

20 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

"It unfortunately became clear that I would not be able to operate as I intended and was led to believe prior to taking on the role,"

Who else would stop him operating as he was led to believe? If it’s not true, surely Abdallah could seek damages. He’ll be losing revenue due to his actions. 

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Are people really blaming Scholes. Just unbelievable. 

We all know what a shit storm our club is, He knew what he was taking on, and bottled it

This is where I’m at too. The owner does seem batsh*t crazy but I’m surprised Scholes didn’t do more homework on this first. If AL is so keen to run first team matters he may as well appoint himself as manager and hire a coach to train his XI. I’ll be in the stands tomorrow with my dad and the crew we’ve been going with for over a quarter of a century. Got our tickets for next season too before this week’s s*itstorm and will be at BP next season. That’s the way I’ll be supporting. Respect anyone who wants to protest and / or stay away too.

9 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

"It unfortunately became clear that I would not be able to operate as I intended and was led to believe prior to taking on the role,"

Who else would stop him operating as he was led to believe? If it’s not true, surely Abdallah could seek damages. He’ll be losing revenue due to his actions. 

We all think we know what that statement alludes to but it still holds an element of ambiguity.
For instance, he could be referring to the state of the pitch and Lemsagam's promise to have it fixed not being fulfilled any time soon...or never.

Probably not but until more definitive information becomes available, we carry on the speculation.

Scholes was a failed PR exercise, in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Wardie said:

We all think we know what that statement alludes to but it still holds an element of ambiguity.
For instance, he could be referring to the state of the pitch and Lemsagam's promise to have it fixed not being fulfilled any time soon...or never.

Probably not but until more definitive information becomes available, we carry on the speculation.

Scholes was a failed PR exercise, in my opinion.

Just accept that this is not around speculation. What has morphed into believable by many over the last 24 hours is the tip of the iceberg.In the months and years to come if all is revealed as promised by some,you will be shocked.

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

In all the time they've ever trained at Chapel Rd, they've drove back to the club to get showered and changed...

Just gone back over the thread and somewhere, without foundation, I read Chapel Rd.

Apologies to all if they were daft enough to believe my misleading post.

2 hours ago, PlayItLivo said:

I'm with you there, it all seemed very awkward for Scholes from the off, his whole demeanor wasn't right and after the crewe game you could sense an under lying problem might surface and it did in all the following games.

The owner does himself no favours, that's a given but Scholes has proved to everyone by leaving an 18 month position after only 31 days that he's actually doubting his own ability to manage a football club, a stronger character would have manned up and got on with it, instead of choosing the path of least resistance but I guess that's easy when you're as big (small) as he is in the game.

I must confess, his stocks gone way down and a few groans during punditry might be all he's good for now.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Unbebloodylievable!! 

Who in God's name with any credibility will come in now??!! 

Dave......there are 92 clubs with several hundred out of work experienced and unproven managers of which a reasonable number are out of our league. There will be a healthy list applicants for AL to choose from. Whether he picks one of those is a different matter.

1 hour ago, SAV said:

We all know what a shit storm our club is, He knew what he was taking on, and bottled it

Yes, I'm thinking that myself, the chairman is a buffoon but Scholes must have had an idea of this prior to taking on the role.

I feel angry with them both, albeit I don't really know whats gone on.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Bollocks. That'll do for me for a while. 

So do you lay it all at AL's feet?. Scholes (the oldham fan),knew what he was in for,like we all do.HE BOTTLED IT

The issue is not how good Scholes was but do we believe his statement.  I believe Scholes would have left regardless of the performance of the team because the reality of what is now OAFC is far worse than the whispers and half truths we hear.  The truth is unlikely to be told but you have a choice between believing AL or the crowd of staff, players and managers who have left or been pushed out.

Arguing amongst ourselves will not change things.  Voting with your money might.

Archived