Scholes gone

16 hours ago, OLDHAMADE said:

I'm with you there, it all seemed very awkward for Scholes from the off, his whole demeanor wasn't right and after the crewe game you could sense an under lying problem might surface and it did in all the following games.

The owner does himself no favours, that's a given but Scholes has proved to everyone by leaving an 18 month position after only 31 days that he's actually doubting his own ability to manage a football club, a stronger character would have manned up and got on with it, instead of choosing the path of least resistance but I guess that's easy when you're as big (small) as he is in the game.

I must confess, his stocks gone way down and a few groans during punditry might be all he's good for now.

He threw in the towel...or scarf.

Untitled-1.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Can somebody post where Scholes was promised a new pitch as mentioned by 2 previous posters?

4 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Love him or hate him, it was in Keegan’s article on Scholes 31-day tenure. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6811033/Paul-Scholes-month-madness-Oldham-Athletic-manager-SPECIAL-REPORT.html

2 hours ago, Luis Enrique said:

It doesn’t really matter whether Paul Scholes was or will be a good manager. 

It doesn’t even matter whether he got cold feet because he couldn’t be bothered or thought he wasn’t up to it. It’s irrelevant. 

What matters is bailiffs, team interference,  no coaches, no gas, deals offered to unwanted players...

There is a terminal rot at the heart of our club and none of it has anything to do with a man who was manager for a month.

Whereas I agree that the issues at the heart of the club are the real concern, it has to be said that Scholes decision to walk does matter and is relevant to the current horror story that is unfolding as the club is unravelling.

That decision could well be the catalyst for many to give up on the club, it could well be the catalyst for many to choose not to renew a season ticket. 

What we need now is for Scholes to expand on the reasons why he walked. 

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Whereas I agree that the issues at the heart of the club are the real concern, it has to be said that Scholes decision to walk does matter and is relevant to the current horror story that is unfolding as the club is unravelling.

That decision could well be the catalyst for many to give up on the club, it could well be the catalyst for many to choose not to renew a season ticket. 

I said this from the start, he should be candid and blow the lid off the whole debacle.
He should do it as a professional and as a fan.

7 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

First time I have seen that. A fantastic article and all 100 percent correct. There's some things that aren't in there that I know Keegan is aware of, so I'm expecting more to come from him in the next few weeks...

3 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Spot on BigDog.

Although Scholes is somewhat of a sideshow now, you are correct in your catalyst comment. The timing could not actually be worse, in view of the fact many were about to renew STs (me included - not now). To throw my hat in the ring regarding Scholes :-

• I think he was the classic "bad loser" - he's basically been a winner most of his career. Couldn't handle the different pressure of losing too often.
  • Aside from second half in first game against Yeovil (and remember we'd just won away 3-0 under a different manager) the performances were dire. In fact, I would say Morecambe at home was as bad as I have seen in many a year and his team selection then was utterly baffling.
  • We'll never know but possibly one of those that fits into the category of "technically brilliant but don't let him manage people" - I`ve seen many over the years within industry - brilliant in their own roles - complete disasters when being promoted to management.
  • If we had experienced the "new manager bounce" we all expected for an ex-England legend, we would now be in, or around, the play-offs. Notwithstanding background issues (which have been a constant for all managers) why did the "bounce" never happen?
  • As it has turned out, I am now baffled by him taking the role in the first place. Surely he's made of sterner stuff than to just walk without at least even trying to sit down with the owner and "clear the air" over any contentious issues?

As mentioned, a sideshow now with lots of unanswered questions. Just sad, sad times for us long suffering supporters.

58 minutes ago, losesome said:

Whatever the reasons why Scholes left there was one thing very noticeable from day 1 ,

The players were far more motivated and up for it more in every game under Wild than they ever were under Scholes! !!

Never going to happen, lucky to get that

55 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

First time I have seen that. A fantastic article and all 100 percent correct. There's some things that aren't in there that I know Keegan is aware of, so I'm expecting more to come from him in the next few weeks...

Just say it man, we know it comes from wild. So just say it

30 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

I must have missed it as I didn't see anything about him being promised a new pitch.

Anyway, how come everyone beieves everything Mike Keegan says now all of a sudden.

I don’t blame Scholes, but Jesus wept if he was expecting undersoil heating a pitch he was in clouds couckoo land!

5 hours ago, Steve_R said:

Anyway, how come everyone beieves everything Mike Keegan says now all of a sudden.

I’m not saying you are doing this Steve.... but I find those who wish to discredit everything Mike Keegan says, as deluded as those who defend Lemsagam. I imagine they’d find a way of blaming Keegan if the club was liquidated.

25 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I don’t blame Scholes, but Jesus wept if he was expecting undersoil heating a pitch he was in clouds couckoo land!

Did we have undersoil heating before the Plastic was laid?

11 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Love him or hate him, it was in Keegan’s article on Scholes 31-day tenure. 

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately in untrue OWTB style no where in that article is a new pitch promised.

Anyway looking forward to waking up to a proper Shucky rant in the morning.

The Mirror are reporting that Abdallah offered contract extensions to 12 of the 20 who are out of contract in the summer without Scholes' knowledge.

If true, I can definitely see that being the catalyst for the resignation. It also has to be a massive ongoing concern because this squad is nowhere near good enough.

14 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

The Mirror are reporting that Abdallah offered contract extensions to 12 of the 20 who are out of contract in the summer without Scholes' knowledge.

If true, I can definitely see that being the catalyst for the resignation. It also has to be a massive ongoing concern because this squad is nowhere near good enough.

If true that sounds highly suspicious and surely in itself worthy of an EFL/FA investigation.

3 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

If true that sounds highly suspicious and surely in itself worthy of an EFL/FA investigation.

Chairman offers soon to be out of contract players a new contract. Really. That's suspicious? I'm all for calling out AL on the interfering side but in what world is a chairman offering contracts suspicious?

2 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Chairman offers soon to be out of contract players a new contract. Really. That's suspicious? I'm all for calling out AL on the interfering side but in what world is a chairman offering contracts suspicious?

It doesn't sound suspicious but in view of overall performance it does sound stupid!

Who would you be desperate to keep?

7 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

If, in order to persuade him to take the job, the chairman has told the manager that he will be in control of the playing staff then determines the season's retained list himself, then it shows that he can't be trusted to keep in his word.

Bit from Mirror:

Scholes wanted to make the final decisions on who stayed and who went.

The fact that a dozen of his League Two squad had already been informed they would be there next season, without his input, led him to telling Lemsagam that his short stay at the club he supported as a boy was over.

The moot point will be how many of the 12 would be under 24 and we need to offer a contract to in order to get compensation if they move. I reckon 10 might fall into that, before 100% checking. 

Not excusing Lemsagen, and if it is that issue then Lensagem can just say it. We might not want any if them but we'd be mad to let them go with no compo. 

If it is that, he should still be consulting Scholes though. And not consulting over even 1 player is totally unacceptable. 

7 hours ago, Steve_R said:

Probably the only journalist that brings some of the goings-on at the club to light but gets panned for it. Not difficult to find things that he's reported on as being correct, which things has he reported incorrectly? I'm guessing there's not many.

8 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Without the managers knowledge? Yes it is suspicious Wake up!

Archived