- Zeus 24 last week. OoC June 2019

- Gevaro 26. OoC June 2019

- Maouche 26. OoC June 2019

- Vera 31. OoC June 2019

- Missile 26. OoC June 2019

- Branger 26 in July. OoC June 2019

- Sylla 25. OoC June 2019

- Sefil 25 on June16. OoC June 2019

Going back to my point about u24 and compo, not one of those would get us any.  So that backs Scholes stance (not excusing no communication about it anyway) We'd only want a couple of them tops depending on the cost,wouldn't we.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scholes should have sat face to face with Abdullah and said the things he wasn't happy about, given him a small time frame to correct them or assurances that things would be corrected. Then followed up with the ultimatum that if not done he would walk.

He could then have gone honestly and openly  to both Abdullah and the press with his story.

The way he has done it in my opinion shows he is no better than Abdullah and whilst I have no doubt that the situation at the club is probably far worse than he imagined,  his actions  have only made the situation worse.

9 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Scholes won't be arsed about going to the press and nor does he need to do, not his style.

He did talk to the press with this statement; "Unfortunately it became clear that I would not be able to operate as intended and was led to believe prior to taking on the role."

13 hours ago, mick26 said:

Bit from Mirror:

Scholes wanted to make the final decisions on who stayed and who went.

The fact that a dozen of his League Two squad had already been informed they would be there next season, without his input, led him to telling Lemsagam that his short stay at the club he supported as a boy was over.

"When the 44-year-old took over last month, he insisted that he would be in charge of all team matters. But he blew a fuse when he learned that 12 of the 20 players who were out of contract this summer had been offered new deals."

"As Sunday Mirror Sport revealed, his predecessor Pete Wild often had his line-ups changed by either the owner or his brother Mohamed Lemsagam"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news

13 minutes ago, losesome said:

Scholes should have sat face to face with Abdullah and said the things he wasn't happy about, given him a small time frame to correct them or assurances that things would be corrected. Then followed up with the ultimatum that if not done he would walk.

Didn't he do that a month ago during the contract negotiations? As AL has immediately gone back on his word (and, most likely, Scholes has discovered things being even worse than he envisaged in terms of money, facilities, squad) then Scholes has probably worked out that it's an impossible job in the current circumstances. It's also a job that he's not desperate for.

I don't think many thought that it was going to be a success anyway. There's never been anything about his communication that made you think, "Now there is a leader of men" but his reputation in football at least gave hope that it was going to be 'interesting' particularly when it came to recruitment. 'Interesting' is obviously as pretty much as good as it gets following this club. However, that AL was never going to allow Scholes to recruit made this whole experiment pointless and so we were left with him as a coach, leader & tactician. It's unfair to judge him on those criteria over the seven games but I'm more than happy to be that twat. It would have been a loooong 18 month contract. Upon his appointment, he spoke about the importance of developing our youth products and (I'm sure) something about getting more English lads in - if the owner has a plan, then I don't see either of those things being on it.

That over and done with, it's now hard to see where the club can go from here other than downwards (either quickly or gradually). Realistically, I think apathy will prevent a strong protest movement (I love a pissboil as much as the next man but my lad still wants a season ticket next year so we won't be boycotting) and there will be a long line of coaches that will be happy to put their ego against AL's for a couple of months until the pile of straws become too much. 

49 minutes ago, losesome said:

He could then have gone honestly and openly  to both Abdullah and the press with his story.

The way he has done it in my opinion shows he is no better than Abdullah and whilst I have no doubt that the situation at the club is probably far worse than he imagined,  his actions  have only made the situation worse.

This may not be the case, others may be able to confirm our not, but I think Scholes had more than one face to face with Abdallah and arguments ensued. Perhaps that started the problems.

58 minutes ago, losesome said:

How can you correct contract offers that have already been made???

12 hours ago, mick26 said:

Bit from Mirror:

Scholes wanted to make the final decisions on who stayed and who went.

The fact that a dozen of his League Two squad had already been informed they would be there next season, without his input, led him to telling Lemsagam that his short stay at the club he supported as a boy was over.

Question. 

In the modern game, what’s unacceptable for a manager taking a job?  

IMO-

No picking team.

No coming in dressing room. 

No interference on team affairs. 

However is full say on transfers even around anymore? At any level? I wish he would of given Scholes full say, as I trust his opinion over AL all day. However I don’t think the chairman signing players is unusual, an surely Scholes knew that when he took the job. 

1 hour ago, singe said:

Going back to my point about u24 and compo, not one of those would get us any.  So that backs Scholes stance (not excusing no communication about it anyway) We'd only want a couple of them tops depending on the cost,wouldn't we.

Only Missile & Gevaro are worth retaining from that list..... which shows you how woefully bad the Lemsagam’s foreign legion have been. I’ve posted on her numerous times on here how domestic recruitment has been better over the same period.

In short, the one thing he stood any chance of being better at, he’s not even better at.

If indeed AL has ‘offered’, ‘promised’ contracts to any players without Scholes’s agreement it is in itself worthy of breach of contract. Although that is not the same as interfearing with team selection. All depends on the wording. 

In any event, other stuff that is alleged to have gone on is totally soul destroying and sadly, believable. 

I posted a few months ago how I couldn’t understand why AL had bought the club and hoped there wasn’t mischief afoot. With relegation, hopeless signings during last summer and zero effort made in January to even look like an effort to make the playoffs, I am even more concerned.

AL just doesn’t fit. 

Scholes may not have what it takes to make the grade as a coach long term (we may never find out) but he would have had some clout and contacts to attract players fit for perpus. 

It it is blindingly obvious that the guy has no money to invest in players suitable and know to our, now soon to be, 4th coaching team. Or routine financial commitments. Unforeseen circumstances have apparently skittled him. 

I am gutted. 4 of my group are delaying and maybe not renewing our STs, another is not renewing. For the first time in over 60yrs, on Saturday I did not feel disappointment when the match was postponed.

All this from an optimist.  

1 hour ago, LaticMark said:

"When the 44-year-old took over last month, he insisted that he would be in charge of all team matters. But he blew a fuse when he learned that 12 of the 20 players who were out of contract this summer had been offered new deals."

"As Sunday Mirror Sport revealed, his predecessor Pete Wild often had his line-ups changed by either the owner or his brother Mohamed Lemsagam"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news

Jeez - 12 players offered new deals. That speaks volumes.

We are in the old 4th division - look totally inept - and someone thinks we have 12 players who should be offered contracts. Laughable.

Without sitting and thinking too long, there's maybe 6 at the most I would keep out of the whole squad. In addition to an ineffective bunch of forwards and weak midfield, I think our defence is awful and also needs a complete clearout. Remember, it's the 4th division - just go and watch some of the goals we've conceded and you will realise Edmundson isn't some fantastic young prospect - he's bog standard. Clarkey's been great but age has now overtaken him. Our best left back has been Nepo - says a lot about the others (including Hunt - absolute lightweight).

It needs a wholesale clearout and I was really hoping Scholes would have done that in the summer.

Now what? 

35 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

We are in the old 4th division - look totally inept - and someone thinks we have 12 players who should be offered contracts. Laughable.

Without sitting and thinking too long, there's maybe 6 at the most I would keep out of the whole squad. In addition to an ineffective bunch of forwards and weak midfield, I think our defence is awful and also needs a complete clearout. Remember, it's the 4th division - just go and watch some of the goals we've conceded and you will realise Edmundson isn't some fantastic young prospect - he's bog standard. Clarkey's been great but age has now overtaken him. Our best left back has been Nepo - says a lot about the others (including Hunt - absolute lightweight).

It needs a wholesale clearout and I was really hoping Scholes would have done that in the summer.

Now what? 

Just imagine if those 12 were regular starters next season. Conference certs.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Add those 12 players to the 7 who have contracts until 2020, and you have the bulk of the 1st team squad for next season!

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

Only Missile & Gevaro are worth retaining from that list.....

To be honest wouldn't even keep these 2 - we've seen better players in some of the poorer teams in this piss poor league.

2 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

How can you correct contract offers that have already been made???

Nothing in football is concrete especially if not signed.

When were the offers made ?? Before Scholes came in or after???

Maybe this was not a point brought up when Scholes got the job, not supporting AL in anyway but just feel Scholes could have handled it a lot better.

Not bothered really because I was never in favour of his appointment. 

Ironic really as I think you would have seen a different Scholes under Corney!!

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Now what? 

Don’t say George is bog standard on here, you will have the mob on you😀

Archived