Scholes gone

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

AL is running things disgracefully.

AL clearly has no idea what he is doing.

AL shouldn't be allowed to run a football club.

Thought I'd get those in so nobody can twist this in support of him but...

Scholes could have just said "fuck off, I'll play who I want"

What's AL going to do? Sack him? If he does it's the same result Scholes got, but he gets a pay out for his troubles.

Scholes bottled it big time!

35 minutes ago, laticsmarra said:

Look McFluff you may be Barry Owen or not, but get real and stop supporting AL.If you are anti PS or Man U so be it, but don't bring those prejudices into this forum.Focus on the issues that Impact on OAFC

Hey look, another mug with no brain cells.

You even replied to my post above where I said AL shouldn't be allowed to run a club.

How is that defending him? Do you need someone to help you read?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, laticsmarra said:

You are told before going on Radio or TV  to watch what you say.So what you say is always balanced between what you want to say unfettered and what you feel is appropriate to say

So what is the point in paying any attention to it then?

44 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Why would you want to stay in a job where there are restrictions being put on you that you didn't agree to? How does that translate into 'bottling it'?

Anyone who knows him will tell you he's a straight up honest fella, if he felt he wasn't up to it then he wouldn't have been bothered about saying so.

Have you ever worked for a living? Name a job where you don't have to abide by other peoples rules and restrictions if you work FOR somebody else.

Perhaps you are his gardener or something because he certainly has a hold over you!

1 hour ago, laticsmarra said:

Scholes didn't bottle  it he had the financial security to say I've had enougjh of this shit which most can't, end of.

End of. 😂

Now you’ve said that, I definitely agree. 

You can dress it up any you want. Did you watch us under Scholes? Insipid, leathargic, and lacking fight. No new manager bounce. How can that be?? 

Where is his responsibility for man management, tactics, teamtalks? All he could talk about post match was the players tired. . Wtf??  

Conversley wild comes back in with exactly the same players and conditions, and results and performances instantly lift. Strange that. 

I dont like what AL is doing, but how on earth can you legislate for a rookie manager doing far better than a legend in exactly the circumstances? The only reason money comes in, is Scholes can afford to have ‘false morals’ and quit. Others need to work with people they don’t like, and the make the best of it. 

Scholes just could not be arsed with the hassle of lower league football. Which IMO undoubtedly rubbed off on the players. They say players play in the mould of the manager, well under Scholes, the players looked they just couldn’t be arsed.

I wonder why?????? 

I don't know whether or not Paul Scholes is cut out to be a successful manager. I do know that he was one of England's greatest midfielders of the modern era. I don't care that he spent his playing career with Man Utd, which seems to make him some kind of criminal in the eyes of some strange posters on here. I do care that he is an Oldham fan and was prepared to take the job.

He's now gone, so discussion of whether or not he would have done a good job for us had he stayed is pointless. People should be concentrating on the important point - his brief reign as manager offers yet further proof (as if any were needed) that the clown Lemsagam is totally unfit to be the owner of the club and needs to be removed asap.

26 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I don't know whether or not Paul Scholes is cut out to be a successful manager. I do know that he was one of England's greatest midfielders of the modern era. I don't care that he spent his playing career with Man Utd, which seems to make him some kind of criminal in the eyes of some strange posters on here. I do care that he is an Oldham fan and was prepared to take the job.

He's now gone, so discussion of whether or not he would have done a good job for us had he stayed is pointless. People should be concentrating on the important point - his brief reign as manager offers yet further proof (as if any were needed) that the clown Lemsagam is totally unfit to be the owner of the club and needs to be removed asap.

Agreed. 

But we can’t talk about his attributes as a manager while he was here?

I don’t understand the Scholes love in. 

Great player. Wank manager. 

He just, Could. Not. Be. Arsed.

Blame AL for most things, but how anyone can blame him for being responsible for Scholes actual ability to manage players is beyond me. 

Did AL tell him to say the players were tired two games into his tenture. . ? 

It’s a joke. 

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

We can, but we shouldn't because they are barely relevant.

I'd put Scholes in the same bracket as the previous manager who had 7 league games in charge.  Both managers could easily have turned out to be shit managers but neither owner gave them a fair chance to prove it.  Which means the owner should take the majority of the blame.

I didn't understand the benefits of having Darren Kelly in charge, whereas with Scholes I did.  But once they were given the job they should been given every opportunity to succeed.  They weren't.

5 hours ago, League one forever said:

Agreed. 

I don’t understand the Scholes love in. 

Great player. Wank manager. 

He just, Could. Not. Be. Arsed.

Blame AL for most things, but how anyone can blame him for being responsible for Scholes actual ability to manage players is beyond me. 

Did AL tell him to say the players were tired two games into his tenture. . ? 

It’s a joke. 

Only joke is judging a rookie manager as wank after 31 days in the job...

10 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

‘Once I get told “Don’t play him” it’s time to go’ 

And later

‘ To be fair that only happened once’

😮

Ffs....

9 hours ago, laticsmarra said:

How many times do you think it needs to happen until it is  untenable 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,.........

9 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

AL is running things disgracefully.

AL clearly has no idea what he is doing.

AL shouldn't be allowed to run a football club.

Thought I'd get those in so nobody can twist this in support of him but...

Scholes could have just said "fuck off, I'll play who I want"

What's AL going to do? Sack him? If he does it's the same result Scholes got, but he gets a pay out for his troubles.

Scholes bottled it big time!

The mcfluff post captures it for me. If it was only the once that AL allegedly said ‘Don’t pick him’  then why didn’t PS tell AL to back off? 

Watching the video only serves to confirm that Scholes realises his mistake in accepting the job,wasn’t prepared to fight and just wanted out.

5 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

The mcfluff post captures it for me. If it was only the once that AL allegedly said ‘Don’t pick him’  then why didn’t PS tell AL to back off? 

Watching the video only serves to confirm that Scholes realises his mistake in accepting the job,wasn’t prepared to fight and just wanted out.

"I pick the team, back off"

"Oh yeah, forgot, soz Paul, won't happen again"

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

"I pick the team, back off"

"Oh yeah, forgot, soz Paul, won't happen again"

It probably wouldn’t have panned out quite like that obvs 🤔 but the point still stands that, from what we are hearing, the interference was on one occasion. Why did Scholes not meet with Lemsagam and spell it out rather than resigning by WhatsApp? 

Quite simply, for me, Scholes realised that he ‘couldn’t make a difference’ and decided to get out. 

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

It probably wouldn’t have panned out quite like that obvs 🤔 but the point still stands that, from what we are hearing, the interference was on one occasion. Why did Scholes not meet with Lemsagam and spell it out rather than resigning by WhatsApp? 

Quite simply, for me, Scholes realised that he ‘couldn’t make a difference’ and decided to get out. 

What would be the point? They clearly had no intention of staying out of team affairs, how he resigned is irrelevant.

41 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

What would be the point? They clearly had no intention of staying out of team affairs, how he resigned is irrelevant.

Scholes picks the team. AL can't force him to pick differently. He could sack him. Then it's same scenario

34 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The point would be that at least he would have tried to convince AL to leave team selection to the manager as was promised. 

How he resigned is relevant in that Scholes lost the respect of many, myself included, in the way he did quit. 

I suppose my my stance is that by not engaging with Lemsagan in a professional manner Scholes lost the opportunity to leave with dignity and his reputation intact.

Highly relevant I think.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Which was it.. "Don't pick him", or "I wouldn't pick him"?...a big difference.

From watching Scholes' interview it appears that he's probably more suited to being a Coach rather than a Manager. He said he found watching videos of opposition games boring, if you aren't fully motivated to watch games then you perhaps miss the oppositions strengths and weaknesses. His record wasn't great but a few more minutes concentration and it would have been a good record and who knows where we would be now. We'll never know what Scholes could have done with a bit more time in charge, learning from early mistakes. I think the frustration with Scholes was more the ability to close games out, we had got ourselves in the position to win many games to end up drawing and losing.

He wasn't helped by the way the club is being run from the top. It would have been much easier if he didn't have to worry about the owners messing around with the players he was there to manage. Others matters such as a lack of hot water, coffee machines being taken away aren't really what the manager should be concerned with but it shows the club is struggling and being run poorly. You appoint a Manager to manage, if you are going to interfere then there's no point hiring a Manager because you are undermining their position and they can't do their job affectively.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

The point would be that at least he would have tried to convince AL to leave team selection to the manager as was promised. 

How he resigned is relevant in that Scholes lost the respect of many, myself included, in the way he did quit. 

I suppose my my stance is that by not engaging with Lemsagan in a professional manner Scholes lost the opportunity to leave with dignity and his reputation intact.

Highly relevant I think.

He wasn't getting any professionalism from those above him so why should he show any in return?

Archived