North Ferriby wound up

I believe it's a case of a small club that became a rich man's play thing who through a load of money at it, and then got bored - I expect houses on Grange Lane soon. Good news is that there is a NFU phoenix club already in place and will be the new club next season.

Nuneaton Borough have a tax bill that needs paying by the end of this month and they don't have the funds to cover it.

How many of this lot - that were all wound up - had a home/land/stadium from which to base their phoenix?

- Newport County, 1989

- Maidstone United, 1992

- Aldershot Town 1992

- Halifax Town 2002

- Darlington 2003

- Chester City 2009

- Scarborough 2010

- Rushden & Diamonds 2011

- Hereford United 2014

4 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

How many of this lot - that were all wound up - had a home/land/stadium from which to base their phoenix?

- Newport County, 1989

- Maidstone United, 1992

- Aldershot Town 1992

- Halifax Town 2002

- Darlington 2003

- Chester City 2009

- Scarborough 2010

- Rushden & Diamonds 2011

- Hereford United 2014

Newport County used to play at Somerton Park before going all nomadic.
Maidstone sold theirs and ground shared.
Council bought The Shay in the late 80's and it's leased back I think.
Darlington FC and 1883 - that's a messy one, Feethams was sold and that new stadium was a disaster.
Chester City had the Deva, and Chester FC still do - not sure if they own it.
Scarborough City didn't have the McCain Stadium, it was flogged to Lidl.
AFC Rushden and Diamonds played at the Dog and Duck with Wellingboro.
Hereford still play at Edgar Street.
74 Northwich groundshare with Winsford, Vics still play (in the same league as 74) - but they are at Witton Albion. The Victoria Stadium was another disaster. Incidentally, the Dane Bank terracing at Vics Stadium was bought by FC United, and is used in the St.Mary's Road End.

So 4 (under half) then, as Aldershot are still at the Recreation ground, which the council bought when the original Aldershot were no more.

One suspects - without a successful purchase by the fan led consortium - we’d be homeless should we end up with a phoenix.

If I allow myself to ponder it, it makes me feel sick.

On 3/18/2019 at 6:13 PM, Matt said:

Newport County used to play at Somerton Park before going all nomadic.
Maidstone sold theirs and ground shared.
Council bought The Shay in the late 80's and it's leased back I think.
Darlington FC and 1883 - that's a messy one, Feethams was sold and that new stadium was a disaster.
Chester City had the Deva, and Chester FC still do - not sure if they own it.
Scarborough City didn't have the McCain Stadium, it was flogged to Lidl.
AFC Rushden and Diamonds played at the Dog and Duck with Wellingboro.
Hereford still play at Edgar Street.
74 Northwich groundshare with Winsford, Vics still play (in the same league as 74) - but they are at Witton Albion. The Victoria Stadium was another disaster. Incidentally, the Dane Bank terracing at Vics Stadium was bought by FC United, and is used in the St.Mary's Road End.

are darlo not now back at a new stadium at the old feethams site ?

Darlo are at Blackwell Meadows (second rate rugby union side's ground). They shared with Bishop Auckland for a few years, then went there. They were refused playoffs in the Conference North as the ground wasn't up to scratch last season (I think they have now put in the 500 odd seats required, but lost a bit of the team to do so and aren't challenging that end any more).

Feethams, I think, is a bunch of cafes/cinema and such now.

On 3/25/2019 at 9:00 PM, peanuts said:

are darlo not now back at a new stadium at the old feethams site ?

On 3/25/2019 at 9:32 PM, oafcmetty said:

Think they share with a rugby club. Not sure where.

On 3/26/2019 at 8:45 AM, OldhamSheridan said:

Darlo are at Blackwell Meadows (second rate rugby union side's ground). They shared with Bishop Auckland for a few years, then went there. They were refused playoffs in the Conference North as the ground wasn't up to scratch last season (I think they have now put in the 500 odd seats required, but lost a bit of the team to do so and aren't challenging that end any more).

Feethams, I think, is a bunch of cafes/cinema and such now.

The 25,000 capacity stadium is now owned by Darlington Mowden Park RFC. They bought the whole thing for £2m. Crazy.

Image result for darlington stadium

• 5 months later...

I pass the Northern echo ( which is a newspaper ) arena often, whilst on my all to frequent visits to The James Cook hospital in Middlesbrough. And when I passed it last week, all the signage for Mowlem Park rugby club had been taken down. ?

I went to watch Darlington a few times whilst the death knell was ringing out.  Once they left the N E A , and had been forced to drop down the pyramid, something that they will struggle to recover from, it has been a very tough time for them. 

The idea that George Reynolds , ( the man who financed the stadium ) had, of Darlo playing in a brand new state of the art stadium was fanciful to say the least. 

Archived