Would you rather...

Would you rather...  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following would you prefer?

• The Trust spend their time and money trying to buy the ground from Blitz and Gazal but AL would remain running the football club
    • The Trust spend their time and money trying to buy the football club, remove AL and be tenants of Blitz and Gazal

Hobson's choice - but having witnessed the sad demise of Oldham rugby (primarily down to losing their ground) I actually think it is more important to secure the stadium first and work on the other afterwards.

The trust can only do so much. I would rather they got on board with the people who are going to attempt to buy the ground and then the club and influence them to do the right thing. The Lemsagams are a lost cause

I also think people regardless of your opinions of the Trust and or of the owners need to understand that we are all on the same side and to get them out of the club and we need to unite. If we do this is a battle we can win.

Edited by GlossopLatic

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

The trust can only do so much. I would rather they got on board with the people who are going to attempt to the ground and then the club and influence then to do the right thing. The Lemsagams are a lost cause

I also think people regardless of your opinions of the Trust and or of the owners need to understand that we are all on the same side and to get them out of the club and we need to unite. If we do this is a battle we can win.

Swinton Lions Rugby are another good example - their home went many years ago (for housing) and the Club now barely exists. 

AL had a good opportunity, most fans appeared delighted Corney had gone and he could have easily built a great deal of good will if he had been transparent/honest. Has been neither and I agree, that he is a lost cause, he isn’t going to change. 

A united front has has got to be the forward and other than the trust, who is better placed?

However, they also need to start being more open. Said before I am new to the party, but from a somewhat fresh pair of eyes, how many times are updates or action promised and then nothing? 

In their defence, small in numbers and they are volunteers. They need help. Perhaps the best way of obtaining this is by putting the cards on the table with some honesty of their own? Build some respect and TRUST and get people on board by telling them what’s going on. 

I can understand withholding things when trying to build a relationship with AL, but clearly now that isn’t going to happen. He has had more enough than chances, but has scant disregard for the staff, players, management and fans,  he doesn’t want help and appears he is going to destroy the club if he continues.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Ground first.  Whoever owns the club has to then pay us rent.  Strong position to be in.

The club has no asset value - the ground does.  No brainer to me.

Obviously, this.  Buying the ‘club’... what are you actually buying given most people think the team is worthless? 

1 hour ago, frizzell54 said:

What is the position with ‘Player Share?’  Do we stop contributing?

What happens to money already contributed?

Playershare is administered seperate from the club and Trust.

Funds are kept seperate and can only be requested by the manager of OAFC for players. 

We have been on a merry go round re managers for a while. So its business as usual nothing has changed with regards to that scheme. 

Don't forget you also have easyfundraising app that gives a monetary value kickback to Playershare for any online purchases you make, from travel, insurances, services, food shopping, ebay etc. There are over 300 retailers on there. Sorry for the bit of a plug but it was set up by the late Opinions4U and its still going. The trust want to help promote it more this season with the latics4life scheme. Both had to be put on the back burner for the time being

Hope this makes sense

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, latics22 said:

Remember when AL used player share for Baxter and tried to claim it was so the fans felt part of the club and purchase. When In reaity he was skint!

Playershare was approached to help fund Baxter but then nothing more came of it, so no funds were actually use, or have been used all season.

Baxter has not had the best of seasons, so its been a bit of a blessing in my opinion

The ground obviously .

But it seems like a pipe dream to me, without intending to be rude or ungrateful for any serious research or effort put into the possibility.

Has there been any costing or forward looking business projection on the subject.

Is it being finically supported by one/several wealthy benefactor/s? 

I just can’t see it being viable with a fan base of circa 4,000.

For two decades I was heavily involved in running a cooperative LTD company. It was a million miles away from being as complex as running a Professional Football Club  and the same  distance from being as volatile. 

There is a tremendous amount of work and responsibility involved and mostly the same few directors shouldering it. 

I am at a loss to identify anything like a solution for a Football Club that is struggling under (at least from the evidence) a seemingly out of his depth owner. 

A protest telling him to go, if it works will, produce what. A club in liquidation? A sale to one of the wealthy benefactors waiting in the wings? The protesters shaking buckets around our Metropolitan Borough?

Oldham Althletic is a ‘for profit’ business like any other. Unlike, to my knowledge, excepting other Professional Clubs, it’s core customers are very demanding on quality. When in fact every time they open their doors (30 max times a year) the opposition is trying to sabotage our product.

I was ok in league 1. Being in business for 33yrs  before retirement 13 years ago helped me appreciated any owner who came in to give it a whirl and invest for my benefit. 

To me running a Football Club is a thankless task for anyone. Every season probably 80% of all fans are throwing a wabbler for one reason or another. You only have to look at the longest serving manager in the Football League down to the shortest serving manager to identify the chaos that ensues. 7yrs, is I think, now the longest serving. Only about seven have managed over 4yrs. The magic round about has never been more apt. 

There is no White Knight on the horizon from where I’m sitting. My protest, short term is not renew my ST. I don’t think I will be able to stay away next season because that will harm my club. But if we all did that it would create an immediate problem for our owner and a simple indication that most of us are not happy. 

I won’t be joining any protest on  match day because the players will have enough on swilling around in thier minds. We need another three wins. And why on earth should we give the opposition and thier fans a leg up. 

I have no no answers but I know I don’t feel entitled to someone comeing in with millions to invest in serious potential failure, like many clubs before us. 

KTF

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Exactly.

But that’s the first we have heard of it, there was talk of a big announcement tha fizzled our to nothing. And pretty sure underdog at the time confirmed that where they money had gone. Someone good at checking back have a look?

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Nah I’ll just remember that it didn’t happen. I’m 100% on board the AL bashing bus after this latest debacle, but there’s really no need to be making stuff up.

On 7/11/2018 at 3:50 PM,  frizzell54 said: 

Where's Sinnot when you need him?

It was confirmed t eh Trust AGM that the playershare player for 2018/19 will be Jose Baxter.

we now need to crack on and get some publicity for it all and raise awareness...

cheers everyone for your patience and contributions too

Edited July 11, 2018 by underdog

38 minutes ago, latics22 said:
   On 7/11/2018 at 3:50 PM,  frizzell54 said: 

Where's Sinnot when you need him?

It was confirmed t eh Trust AGM that the playershare player for 2018/19 will be Jose Baxter.

we now need to crack on and get some publicity for it all and raise awareness...

cheers everyone for your patience and contributions too

Edited July 11, 2018 by underdog

Hello Latics.

The news broke on social media pre AGM (photos of Jose at Ground if I remember rightly) and in excitment at the time, a Playershare volunteer confirmed that we had been approached (it was not me, I posted from the AGM).

It was only verbal agreement, they have been previously and unfortunatley, the deal then did not proceed and no monies were used from Playershare

Lessons have been learned by all concerned.

Thanks

Edited by underdog

Neither of the two options are realistic any time in the next 10 years so the options are irrelevant as presented...

But I have been trying to push the idea for the last 15 years that the trust should be stock piling cash year on year to put itself in the sort of position to move in as a owner of last resort if the club should ever find itself in a post Chris Moores situation or to be in a position to apply force on removing future owners who have not got the clubs best interest at heart.

That is whole point of a trust in my eyes...

Its never too late to start doing the right thing...

Edited by oafc0000