Board of Directors (Non-Executive) Applications

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2019/march/18022019-board-of-directors-applications/

Oldham Athletic are looking to appoint fan representatives to join the newly formed Board of Directors.

Over the past year under new ownership the club has tried to rebuild, with millions being invested in the team whilst also paying off past debts.

Not everything has gone to plan, with issues on and off the pitch and for certain areas the club has been rightly criticised.

With a owner who has the clubs best interests at heart, the events of last week have shown that there is now a disconnect between the fans and the club and the owner wants to repair that. Without the fans there is no club.

As a result, the owner (and currently the sole director) is in the process of reforming the board and is looking to appoint people that can add value in non-executive positions, through fan representatives. 

Ultimately, the board will run this football club for the benefit of the supporters to create a better future. The board makes decisions on all aspects of the running of the club including commercial, property and staffing issues.

The club would now like to invite applications from those with a genuine love for Oldham Athletic to become a director, setting out their skill set and explaining in writing what they could bring to the role.

The role will not be remunerated and there is a requirement to attend all home and away games as a representative, whilst also passing the English Football League’s fit and proper person test.

Please email applications@oldhamathletic.co.uk by Tuesday 26 March 2019 to be considered.

Now that's interesting.

If this is genuine it suggests a massive shift in direction.

Trouble is who are we going to get and how open minded will the Lemsagams be if someone comes in and challenges them. Does anyone have clout to go toe to toe with them on major decisions or are we going to get a bunch of cronies.

Id very very cautiously welcome this.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Only making changes because the future of him owning this club is under threat. Simon Brooke was part of the board but presumably he left because Lemgasam wouldn't listen. We have a Trust as well that Lemgasam won't speak to. 

We cannot be persuaded to think he has changed his thinking, he says one thing and does another. The only option for the club is for Lemgasam to sell up.

• Like 1

How i read this is an attempt to stop people boycotting which effects him financially as he knows he will not be able to sustain any sustained boycotting, fans not renewing season tickets etc, he did not have the finances required to take over a club  & take it forward.

I genuinely can't work this guy out (AL).

I fully believe everything (okay most things, theres always bound to be one or two little things that arent true about whats said about someone) said about this guy. He then goes and does this.

A PR exercise? A genuine attempt to open the door to fans? How does he gain from this? All it does is give a fan a chance to see up close the day to day running and provide further evidence of how bad things are.

I imagine most arent arsed about this and would just prefer to see AL run the club properly. If AL can judge the feeling of the mood against him right now by offering this, why cant he also see that we are angry because of how he has run things until now. A lot of our gripes are not actually money related (treatment of staff, interference in team matters) and surely he must be aware of them now so why bother with the charade as so far hes not changed for anyone.

In most other circumstances this would be a great bit of news however raises more questions than answers. I very cautiously welcome it though im not holding my breath.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

This is nothing more than a desperate attempt at getting the fans back on side. 

I just hope we don't have anybody naïve enough to fall for this.

We will do. I'm sure there's a few fans that still think he's doing the right with the club.

I joined the Trust and believe in what they’re wishing to achieve on behalf of our football club irrespective of who’s currently the owner.

All fans should reject this desperate attempt to engage - its too little and definitely too late.  It should be Trust member or members that make up this role - safety and strength in numbers..... that’s if we accept.

However I’m 100% in agreement that we push on - boycott every home game - and stuck two fingers up to this olive branch.  This latest attempt is clear that Lemsagam has no funds and now relying on whatever matchday income is generated to pay bills.  He’s trying to delay the inevitable.

To suggest he has the club at heart shows this clown’s contempt for the fans.  He forces Scholes out of the managers role through his own interference and no funding.  We’ve gone backwards under his tenure and the future looks even more bleak than under Corney.

Time to turn the heat up and smoke the charlatan out!

Edited by Midsblue
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Oafc88 said:

I genuinely can't work this guy out (AL).

I fully believe everything (okay most things, theres always bound to be one or two little things that arent true about whats said about someone) said about this guy. He then goes and does this.

A PR exercise? A genuine attempt to open the door to fans? How does he gain from this? All it does is give a fan a chance to see up close the day to day running and provide further evidence of how bad things are.

I imagine most arent arsed about this and would just prefer to see AL run the club properly. If AL can judge the feeling of the mood against him right now by offering this, why cant he also see that we are angry because of how he has run things until now. A lot of our gripes are not actually money related (treatment of staff, interference in team matters) and surely he must be aware of them now so why bother with the charade as so far hes not changed for anyone.

In most other circumstances this would be a great bit of news however raises more questions than answers. I very cautiously welcome it though im not holding my breath.

You have to question why he's doing this now and not before. As admitted in the statement "With a owner who has the clubs best interests at heart, the events of last week have shown that there is now a disconnect between the fans and the club and the owner wants to repair that. Without the fans there is no club."

It's only happening because the fans are disconnected with the club and this threatens his future ownership. He would just continue like he has done if we hadn't been so vocally critical of how he is running the club. All he wants to continue to run the club as he sees fit, he doesn't care about the fans.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

A non exec director does have the same legal duties, responsibilities and potential LIABILITIES as their executive counterparts. 

Anybody want that?? 

When he is Dubai, untouchable, and you're on "can't pay we'll take it away" I am not sure the free match tickets and free butties will be worth it.

• Like 5