Administration

I think it's harsh to blame the players. The clubs are (almost literally) throwing cash at them. The cap on spending should come way down - clubs shouldn't be able to spend more than £xm on their wage bill, and for me, the x should be unrelated to revenue - hence stopping the big staying big for ever, and reintroducing some competition and challenge. Who can get the best out of their squad etc.

I'd like to blame it all on fergie and his crew - for years their aim was to throw cash at the best player from their rivals, leading to a spending arms race. There are probably others who deserve some of the share too though, although they'll always be the biggest culprits in my eyes.

• Like 1

And if there was a cap and not as many foreign players came, we could focus on putting more money into developing young english talent which should have been a priotity years ago.

Also cap the number of players a club can hoard. Loaning out 50 plus players per season is a joke. Those players would then have to drop down the leagues to get a game and it would benefit all leagues through the pyramid

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

And if there was a cap and not as many foreign players came, we could focus on putting more money into developing young english talent which should have been a priotity years ago.

Seems to be a lot of young English talent around at the moment ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

The thread title seems one step closer this morning...

Pure speculation by someone on Twitter.
Doesn't help anybody except the doom mongers.

It's obvious everything isn't rosy in the garden but these kind of tweets really get me pissed off.

By the way, it's 'owner' not '"owners". Can't even get that right.

47 minutes ago, Wardie said:

It's obvious everything isn't rosy in the garden but these kind of tweets really get me pissed off.

You're right that the leap to it can "only be because the owner has something to hide" is speculation on his part. In our case it could just as easily have been done because the club sacked the person who used to prepare the accounts and no one else has picked it up.

But I think his speculation is informed by his experience of such matters. He studies this type of thing for  a living and has experience of seeing these events unfold at several clubs throughout the football pyramid. I suspect that him speculating that there is something to hide comes from the fact that, more often than not, there is when this happens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

That was 2018, its only 3 months to the next deadline.

TBF Corney did the same in June 2017 and the Trust raised it at the AGM that year.

I honestly don't know if it's a common business practice to do this

3 hours ago, Wardie said:

You do realise that he is a renowned lecturer on football finance at Liverpool University? He uses similar words for all the clubs that do this, and those that publish very limited financial info. Plenty of other clubs post signifciantly more detail than we do. Extending  it by a day is a well used/known Accounting tactic, given his expertise I'll wager it is by those performing poorly too.

We have more than one owner by the way, and a slight typo is a ridiculous reason to dissmiss the post.

• Like 2

Some people will believe what they want to believe.

Just somebody give me a bona fide business reason why you would change the accounting date from the 27th June to the 26th of June just days before you are due to file the accounts.

Just somebody give me an example of an EFL club that went into administration and the football team didn't survive.

5 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Just somebody give me an example of an EFL club that went into administration and the football team didn't survive.

Ex-EFL clubs that went into Admin and didn't survive. I think the 1st three were still competing in the football league when they were wound up. The other 6 had lost their league status before they were liquidated.

- Newport County, 1989

- Maidstone United, 1992

- Aldershot Town 1992

- Halifax Town 2002

- Darlington 2003

- Chester City 2009

- Scarborough 2010

- Rushden & Diamonds 2011

- Hereford United 2014

Edited by lookersstandandy

In three months time, he can do the same trick again (albeit only a second time for the one set of accounts as I understand it)

Anyone wants odds he'll do that.

PS there are certain beone fide reasons to do it, such as aligning acounting dates with companies in the same group, avoiding extra work at a busy time of year etc but I don't think any apply.

Edited by singe

38 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Ex-EFL clubs that went into Admin and didn't survive. I think the 1st three were still competing in the football league when they were wound up. The other 6 had lost their league status before they were liquidated.

- Newport County, 1989

- Maidstone United, 1992

- Aldershot Town 1992

- Halifax Town 2002

- Darlington 2003

- Chester City 2009

- Scarborough 2010

- Rushden & Diamonds 2011

- Hereford United 2014

I'm confused!  I meant gone disappeared never to be seen again.  I agree Administration now would probably see us relegated.  I wonder if there is anyone who is owed money if they might get a bit jumpy when they learn that season ticket sales are not going so well.

3 minutes ago, Hands on said:

I'm confused!  I meant gone disappeared never to be seen again.  I agree Administration now would probably see us relegated.  I wonder if there is anyone who is owed money if they might get a bit jumpy when they learn that season ticket sales are not going so well.

There's a team in all of those places but just because they are in the same town doesn't make it the same club