Radio Manc tonight. 6pm. 9th April

24 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

A long, long time ago when the Bear (Darren Beckford) scored the solitary winning goal against them in an FA cup tie at Burnden Park, the Oldham fans were told to stay behind whilst the police could disperse the locals. At 5.30, we boarded our coach with instructions to lie on the floor...….we passed a blue Oldham Transit van, about 200 yards from the ground with a smashed windscreen, and a woman sat on the side of the road with blood pouring from her head, after several Bolton fans "bricked" their van.

Sorry (not really)...…..I can live with verbal abuse but that all changes when verbal changes to physical.

So, in response to the thought of Bolton going under...…...F^CK 'EM!!! 

I recall that game! Sadly I wasn’t there , but I remember hearin  on the radio. Must have been gmr! From memory Bolton were flying in the championship ! I still recall the bears goal! Happy times

8 hours ago, latics22 said:

I recall that game! Sadly I wasn’t there , but I remember hearin  on the radio. Must have been gmr! From memory Bolton were flying in the championship ! I still recall the bears goal! Happy times

I was there standing on the open terrace, half of which had been sold off to build a Superstore. Latics fans were crammed in and I remember spending most of the game standing in the walkway with my view partially obscured by a floodlight stanchion. 

We were under a lot of pressure as I recall but The Bear came good. A great Away Day.

https://images.app.goo.gl/a91FLmMFMfK8XbXq9

10 hours ago, kowenicki said:

I know what you are saying. They did effectively cheat and I know fans should perhaps be more live to the massive overspending in good times, but it’s not really the fans fault. I wouldn’t wish the demise of a club on any fan.... except perhaps Man U  and MK Dons  😁.

FIFY

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

I was there standing on the open terrace, half of which had been sold off to build a Superstore. Latics fans were crammed in and I remember spending most of the game standing in the walkway with my view partially obscured by a floodlight stanchion. 

We were under a lot of pressure as I recall but The Bear came good. A great Away Day.

https://images.app.goo.gl/a91FLmMFMfK8XbXq9

We were stood under cover on the side next to the open end weren't we? Unless I am forgetting we had the open end as well. I know we were crammed in like sardines.

37 minutes ago, al_bro said:

We were stood under cover on the side next to the open end weren't we? Unless I am forgetting we had the open end as well. I know we were crammed in like sardines.

I was stood in the open end behind the goals, think we may have had part of the stand to the left as well.

32 minutes ago, stevesidg said:

I was stood in the open end behind the goals, think we may have had part of the stand to the left as well.

The view in that open end was shite, myself and the missus were obstructed by the floodlight stanchion, after the game some of the Bolton fans were utter arse holes, I remember a bloke carrying a young kid on his shoulders getting punched in the face as the police looked on. My wife who is a reasonable forgiving person has a mild hatred of Bolton supporters to this day. 

2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

The view in that open end was shite, myself and the missus were obstructed by the floodlight stanchion, after the game some of the Bolton fans were utter arse holes, I remember a bloke carrying a young kid on his shoulders getting punched in the face as the police looked on. My wife who is a reasonable forgiving person has a mild hatred of Bolton supporters to this day. 

Oh w4nk1 w4nk1 w4nk1 w4nk1 wanderers 

25 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I sometimes wonder if things would have turned out better if we'd have lost that game..

I don't think so, we were a team who was on the slide. We were fortunate to win this game, our performances pointed us towards relegation. 

9 hours ago, disjointed said:

I don't think so, we were a team who was on the slide. We were fortunate to win this game, our performances pointed us towards relegation. 

That's not how I remember it. 

We were getting the results which were putting us on course to survive around the time of the Bolton game and the run up to the semi-final.  Then THAT goal happened and we were then shit from that moment and then for the next 25 years and counting...

Edited by JoeP
  • Like 1

Going into that 1st Man U game at Old Trafford we had been on a good run of form something like 1 defeat in 14 including that win at Burnden Park it was those 3 games against Man U that knocked the stuffing out of us and we never recovered. Despite having numerous opportunities to do so.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

That's not how I remember it. 

We were getting the results which were putting us on course to survive around the time of the Bolton game and the run up to the semi-final.  Then THAT goal happened and we were then shit from that moment and then for the next 25 years and counting...

You could well be right, I know one thing we were definitely the 2nd best team on the pitch that day, a lucky break got us the win. 

• Like 1

Starting from the United league game at Old Trafford we played 8 League games to the end of the season and got 3 points. Relegated by 3 points! Tottenham beat us at Boundary Park in our penultimate game (played on Thursday night). If we had won that then Tottenham would have been relegated and we would have stayed up. Milligan was either sent off very early or they deliberately injured him. 

1 hour ago, milnrow latics said:

Starting from the United league game at Old Trafford we played 8 League games to the end of the season and got 3 points. Relegated by 3 points! Tottenham beat us at Boundary Park in our penultimate game (played on Thursday night). If we had won that then Tottenham would have been relegated and we would have stayed up. Milligan was either sent off very early or they deliberately injured him. 

I remember going up for that game - two days before we had Norwich away. The article below captures the occasion well. And Joe’s quote sums it up succinctly ☹️

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-samways-perfect-way-to-rescue-spurs-oldham-subside-on-their-own-beach-of-a-pitch-as-ardiles-1433916.html

For Royle, the torment goes on, at least until tomorrow evening. 'If we go down, we deserve to go down,' the Oldham manager sighed,  'Having said that, we haven't had a single break since that Hughes goal. Now we need a spectacular win - and a few other spectacular results too.'

1 hour ago, milnrow latics said:

I

22 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I remember going up for that game - two days before we had Norwich away. The article below captures the occasion well. And Joe’s quote sums it up succinctly ☹️

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-samways-perfect-way-to-rescue-spurs-oldham-subside-on-their-own-beach-of-a-pitch-as-ardiles-1433916.html

For Royle, the torment goes on, at least until tomorrow evening. 'If we go down, we deserve to go down,' the Oldham manager sighed,  'Having said that, we haven't had a single break since that Hughes goal. Now we need a spectacular win - and a few other spectacular results too.'

Me too!

16 hours ago, disjointed said:

Hmmm. We had lost 1 of 9 games (we won 5) leading up to the semi cup tie.  We were quite unlucky to lose the 10th against Man U at Old Trafford (I was there) and so it was definitely and evidentially the semi final that killed us. If we would have won that then I do not believe we would have dropped.

So we lost 2 in 10 games up to the semi-final, 18 points from 30.  Then took 3 points from the last 21 available. 

Edited by kowenicki

51 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Hmmm. We had lost 1 of 9 games (we won 5) leading up to the semi cup tie.  We were quite unlucky to lose the 10th against Man U at Old Trafford (I was there) and so it was definitely and evidentially the semi final that killed us. If we would have won that then I do not believe we would have dropped.

So we lost 2 in 10 games up to the semi-final, 18 points from 30.  Then took 3 points from the last 21 available. 

If you look at a later post I said I may have got it wrong, we were definitely poor that day. 

• Like 1

It's results across the season that count as we all know. The fact is that we never got going that season. After 12 league games, the record was W1 D5 L6, relegation form however you look at it. Between mid-December and late January we played 7 and lost 5, drew 2, including 4 defeats in a row. I don't disagree that results fell off a cliff after United knocked us out of the cup, but at the time of that match we had just 9 league wins from 34. We'd also had some drubbings, 5-0 away to Spurs 5-2 at home to United among them.