Swindon (h) Sat 13th April

5 hours ago, losesome said:

The chance has gone now so time to be looking now for next season's manager so he can start as soon as this season ends.

5 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

We've already tried that

5 hours ago, losesome said:

Yeah but with the wrong manager! !

That's laughable.

We're on our third different manager this season.

If it gets to that stage and we still need to change the manager after that, then it's pretty certain that the manager isn't the problem.

FWIW I'm amazed just how well Wild is doing under what is now notoriously difficult circumstances.

I guarantee that any other manager who could make us successful wouldn't have the slightest bit of interest in taking the job on.

If Wild isn't in charge then we'll be forced to settle for shit managers until Marco goes.

• Like 1

Disappointing performance after a good previous week, not really sure we deserved a point so perhaps a point gained in the circumstances though I think realistically it’s killed our chances of snatching a play off spot.

Dont know why but just didn’t seem any intensity from the team yesterday despite getting an early goal and we sat off Swindon allowing them to have so much possession it was clear they would eventually score, although it appeared a soft penalty to me.

Mouche then gives the ball away easily when he should have just cleared it in that area of the pitch and we are 2-1 down. Strange end to the game as we scored an equaliser out of nothing but then in fairness the game could have gone either way as we showed a small spark at the death with Lang having a couple of good chances but we still needed a great save from Iversen at the death or we could have lost it. Like I say perhaps a point gained overall.

Wasnt impressed with Wellens on the touchline, especially with him telling his player off for giving us the ball back after it was kicked out for Branger to get treatment and then abusing Mouche as he came off, not sure who he thinks he is as he’s hardly achieved a great deal as a manager to appear so so arrogant!

Sad to hear Scholes comments on BT last night, sounds like a right mess behind the scenes. Shows what a good job Wild is doing in the circumstances and I think he should be announced now as manager for next season so he can start planning for the new campaign now it looks like this one is pretty much over. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

Hahahahaha Richie thinks he’s something special, definition of gobshite that man. He’s a dick head and next year should get a lot more abuse. Yeah Swindon passed it around well but the never really threatened as such. The pitch being an issue ? I don’t think, pitch is far better than previous years. He’s clearly bitter and he’s come across as a right prick as we could have won that game. Stupid tosser with severe little man syndrome. Twat 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Why are people bothered about an interview he gave to his own clubs website? Bizarre.

Well I suppose it's because he's giving his views on a match which involves our club.

I've no axe to grind with Wellens but he does give an overly jaundiced view of the match I attended in that interview.

4 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Well I suppose it's because he's giving his views on a match which involves our club.

I've no axe to grind with Wellens but he does give an overly jaundiced view of the match I attended in that interview.

Lot of our fans are incapable of accepting that the other team might have played well. Always down to what our players/manager didn't do or the referee.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Lot of our fans are incapable of accepting that the other team might have played well. Always down to what our players/manager didn't do or the referee.

Not disputing that.....but Wellens' likes an excuse as well as shown in his interview.

From what I saw yesterday I would say a draw was a fair result. They knocked the ball about well whilst we backed off but didn't show much penetration, and their goalie made a couple of decent saves late on. 

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Hahahahaha Richie thinks he’s something special, definition of gobshite that man. He’s a dick head and next year should get a lot more abuse. Yeah Swindon passed it around well but the never really threatened as such. The pitch being an issue ? I don’t think, pitch is far better than previous years. He’s clearly bitter and he’s come across as a right prick as we could have won that game. Stupid tosser with severe little man syndrome. Twat 

Like your style 👍

18 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

To be fair when I saw him bringing Sylla on I questioned his judgement for a defensive midfielder when losing. Put extra pressure on them and changed the game in our favour by taking control of the midfield

Sylla  did a good job when he came, rather than Maouche, who is a better footballer but had just gifted them their second goal 

20 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

I don't blame Richie Wellens for last season I blame the owner.

Wellens hardly did a good job though did he. Some of the formations and results under him were really poor. Buck stop with the manager. As far as I’m concerned he took us down and it was his fault. 

Wild is showing that no matter what is Happening behind scenes u can still motivate and get performances out of teams. Did wellens get the best out of that lot last year?? Not so sure he did 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Careca9 said:

Wellens hardly did a good job though did he. Some of the formations and results under him were really poor. Buck stop with the manager. As far as I’m concerned he took us down and it was his fault. 

Wild is showing that no matter what is Happening behind scenes u can still motivate and get performances out of teams. Did wellens get the best out of that lot last year?? Not so sure he did 

He's only shown that for a very short period of time though, no guarantee that he would continue to do so.

Just had the opinion of my Swindon Town mate, whose opinion I value (he's an ex semi-pro himself and football through and through).

Said we were poor for the first hour with the "spine" of our team looking weak. Said our central defence was slow and couldn't cope with speed/power. Despite us taking the lead, he thought it would be a comfortable 3 or 4 to one victory. Then said, we looked a changed team later in the game; much brighter and a game they should have won comfortably, they could quite easily have lost. Wondered why did we not look "up for it" for an hour?

So, he says the "first hour team" - poor lower table team; the "last half hour team" - play-offs for sure.

Sounds like a game of three thirds - and we were great for one of them!

P.S. also said glad they never signed COG (apparently he was a target) - thought he was a passenger and looked as though he should retire.

1 minute ago, wiseowl said:

Just had the opinion of my Swindon Town mate, whose opinion I value (he's an ex semi-pro himself and football through and through).

Said we were poor for the first hour with the "spine" of our team looking weak. Said our central defence was slow and couldn't cope with speed/power. Despite us taking the lead, he thought it would be a comfortable 3 or 4 to one victory. Then said, we looked a changed team later in the game; much brighter and a game they should have won comfortably, they could quite easily have lost. Wondered why did we not look "up for it" for an hour?

So, he says the "first hour team" - poor lower table team; the "last half hour team" - play-offs for sure.

P.S. also said glad they never signed COG (apparently he was a target) - thought he was a passenger and looked as though he should retire.

Look forward to hearing more from your mate on soccer Saturday. 😩😳

23 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Look forward to hearing more from your mate on soccer Saturday. 😩😳

Right over my head that one, sorry.

Unless..... was he on Soccer Saturday? He certainly never mentioned he was...

10 hours ago, Paul said:

Wasnt impressed with Wellens on the touchline, especially with him telling his player off for giving us the ball back after it was kicked out for Branger to get treatment and then abusing Mouche as he came off, not sure who he thinks he is as he’s hardly achieved a great deal as a manager to appear so so arrogant!

Also shouted "go down" to robinson as he headed towards the box late second half. Clarke was about 5 yards away at the time..... 

Talking of ruthless, had we been more so with our chances in the second half the points would have been ours.

Swindon were a decent looking mobile unit but for all their industry didn't have too much in the way of end product, typical Wellens team.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Agree pretty much with that assessment. Missilou the only one in the first hour even getting close to their players, and the forward line did nothing to help move us up the pitch and keep hold of it. Maoche had a stinker, and Nepo and Branger didnt help out like they have in the last week by playing inside the field. Bennett was a huge problem for them, enjoyed watching him the first hour. That said, Swindon hit the post and won a soft penalty and scored from a stupid Latics mistake, but otherwise didnt create masses of chances.

Baxter coming on with Sylla helped us dominate the middle of the park and look more lively, and Afolayans touch was fantastic (unlike COG) meaning we retained possession up the park. 

Weird game really as the last 20 minutes really made me think we deserved the points, but overall I think we should be lucky for the 1 point. The first hour showed just how poor some of our players can be (they dont shine so impressively when they are good tbh), and a reason why they are at this level, very incosistent.

Happy with a point but we need to masively improve if we are to a) mount a final playoff push b) compete at all should we get there.

Edited by youngen

16 minutes ago, youngen said:

Agree pretty much with that assessment. Missilou the only one in the first hour even getting close to their players, and the forward line did nothing to help move us up the pitch and keep hold of it. Maoche had a stinker, and Nepo and Branger didnt help out like they have in the last week by playing inside the field. Bennett was a huge problem for them, enjoyed watching him the first hour. That said, Swindon hit the post and won a soft penalty and scored from a stupid Latics mistake, but otherwise didnt create masses of chances.

Baxter coming on with Sylla helped us dominate the middle of the park and look more lively, and Afolayans touch was fantastic (unlike COG) meaning we retained possession up the park. 

Weird game really as the last 20 minutes really made me think we deserved the points, but overall I think we should be lucky for the 1 point. The first hour showed just how poor some of our players can be (they dont shine so impressively when they are good tbh), and a reason why they are at this level, very incosistent.

Happy with a point but we need to masively improve if we are to a) mount a final playoff push b) compete at all should we get there.

I don't think that Maouche should be singled out as having a stinker. He was at fault for the second Swindon goal its true, but up to that point he was on a par with the rest of our ineffective forwards. Thereafter his head dropped and was rightly subbed. 

Agree with your point that Baxter and Sylla made a huge difference. O'Grady simply failed to hold the ball up and that meant that the ball kept coming back at us.

It was a strange performance by the team, similar to the second half at Colchester. Having said that, we looked by far the better side for the last quarter and Lang could have won it for us.

Baxter and Sylla to start at Cheltenham.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I don't think that Maouche should be singled out as having a stinker. He was at fault for the second Swindon goal its true, but up to that point he was on a par with the rest of our ineffective forwards. Thereafter his head dropped and was rightly subbed. 

Agree with your point that Baxter and Sylla made a huge difference. O'Grady simply failed to hold the ball up and that meant that the ball kept coming back at us.

It was a strange performance by the team, similar to the second half at Colchester. Having said that, we looked by far the better side for the last quarter and Lang could have won it for us.

Baxter and Sylla to start at Cheltenham.

I thought Maoche was having a torrid time, gave away a few needless fouls in the first half when caught in possession also, and thats when he actually got close to being in the game. Just so happened they finally capitalised on it 2nd half. COG, Branger and Nepo also had stinkers imo, just none of their mistakes or lack of playing led to goals. Was definitely not a game where we "defended from the front".

No real basis for this opinion but I cant see him starting Sylla, even though I agree with you that he should play. I think the only change may be Baxter for COG on Friday.