"The best times at the club was when he wasn't there"

I'm still of the belief that scholes wouldn't have done any better even if he was in charge of Brazil and that tells you all you need to know about his future management credentials.

Half the man, Pete wild is 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OLDHAMADE said:

I'm still of the belief that scholes wouldn't have done any better even if he was in charge of Brazil and that tells you all you need to know about his future management credentials.

Half the man, Pete wild is 

I might be tempted to agree 

1 hour ago, True Tic said:

And you behave yourself talking about goals which might not have been conceded but actually were!

The brief stats for both Wild and Scholes speak for themselves.

Scholes could and should have given it longer, unfortunately he didn't and all we can do is judge him on what actually happened, not what could have happened.

Interfering once with player selection should have prompted a further chat with the chairman to remind him what was agreed initially, not, "right that's it I'm off", its pathetic.

How do you know that there wasn’t a further chat with the Chairman?

The TV chat will not have been a full transcript of events leading up to his departure and he’s probably diluted the whole scenario, what is apparent is that AL is still trying to effect team selection.

If he was prepared to interfere in team selection with Scholes then he will continue to do it with any future manager, again and again!

Our chance of progression with this lunatic in charge is zero!!

I don’t have a clue as to what the alternative could be but what I do know is that AL is slowly slowly destroying this club and everything it stands for...I want him out ASAP!!!

Edited by oafc1955
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am glad that it has now been established that Scholes will never have a future career in football.

Don't know why he bothered to speak out about his month in charge because people have already come to the conclusion that Scholes knows nothing, has no bottle and is not half the man Wild is. 

Some of our fans and that :clown: are a marriage made in heaven.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, archiecat said:

I am glad that it has now been established that Scholes will never have a future career in football.

Don't know why he bothered to speak out about his month in charge because people have already come to the conclusion that Scholes knows nothing, has no bottle and is not half the man Wild is. 

Scholes is respected by millions. People listen to what he has to say (rightly or wrongly) and our club’s reputation and circumstances will now be fixed in peoples mind.

The nuanced points being raised aren’t appreciated by non-oldham fans who will take what scholes says on face value, as each of us does when only fleetingly engaging in an issue which is not personal to us. 

4 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Scholes is respected by millions. People listen to what he has to say (rightly or wrongly) and our club’s reputation and circumstances will now be fixed in peoples mind.

The nuanced points being raised aren’t appreciated by non-oldham fans who will take what scholes says on face value, as each of us does when only fleetingly engaging in an issue which is not personal to us. 

I don't know what the viewing figures are for that program but I can't imagine it's very many. I would personally put my head into a bucket of sick to avoid listening to Steve Macmanaman's "insights" on football. Beyond some Latics fans I doubt there will be much of a change in the reputation of our club in the rest of the country. 

36 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

I don't know what the viewing figures are for that program but I can't imagine it's very many. I would personally put my head into a bucket of sick to avoid listening to Steve Macmanaman's "insights" on football. Beyond some Latics fans I doubt there will be much of a change in the reputation of our club in the rest of the country. 

Not saying there is a change, but scholes piece is one in a long line of things which are defining and then reinforcing the club’s  reputation. 

People will listen to what scholes has to say and will believe his interpretation of the club and how it is managed. 

We all have different opinions and without knowing the true facts regarding everything that has been said and done, most things on this board are hearsay, assumptions, made up, wrote to wind up certain individuals or Chinese whispers, the truth probably constitutes a tiny percentage of what is wrote on these matters behind the scenes.

The rot started to set in after our relegation from the PL, we were a well respected club with the term family club always used to describe us. We have spiraled out of control ever since and we are not alone, lower league football is in trouble, the game has got too big for the majority of clubs and even those with long respected standings and histories are struggling to survive but things can change quickly in football, look at Bournemouth and how the tides have turned if you compare our two clubs.

I can't see a bright future for us with this guy in charge, opinions on Scholes differ and have changed since his departure. He was in my opinion preparing to build a team for next year, I am sure of this.

We have all wanted Frank Bunn & Andy Rhodes to speak out and spill the beans but they are not in the same position as Scholes. He didn't need the job, he wanted it but I had a feeling if the owner meddled Scholes would just quit. Difference is, he has been willing to spill some beans on the state of the club and the interference from the owner.

Could Scholes have stayed longer and told AL to back off yes he could but he knows much more than any of us about what is really going on, Scholes isn't the bad guy here, AL is.

I know people who think AL is a nut job and has no idea what he is doing or how to behave in business and more so in football ownership in this country. He needs yes men to work under him and that is how some bosses conduct their business in all walks of life. Scholes would not be a yes man to him.

Pete Wild is different, he need some form of security, he won't rock the boat or it would mean his demise also. He does seem to get a tune out of the team but is he really in charge, I wonder !!

Our club needs a strong character running the team affairs but this type of character will not last under the restrictions or behavior of AL.

Pete Wild may get the job, but his job security will turn from secure to extremely high risk. He is a fan and you can see he cares, the difference for him now is, he would get a job elsewhere in football if it turns out bad for him here because he has become a known name this season so that is a plus for him.

AL appears to be the bad egg in our club, evidence is now leading me to believe this after I was willing to give the guy time.

Scholes like him or loathe him should have been stronger but he didn't need the hassle, weak or very clever of him to walk so soon, I don't know and I won't judge him.

Football is a mess, I work with an ex Premier league player who in his peak was earning over £20K per week, he now earns less than me but he his happy out of the game, he hates football and the state of it now. He could have stayed in the game but chose to distance himself from it.

People like AL are one of the reasons football is dying at lower level, a big time charlie way out of his depth and not willing to listen to good people around him, the once community and family club will no longer be that if he remains to act and run the club in his manner.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Andy b said:

Don’t think anyone is praising scholes for his managerial performance or indeed suggesting he would have been a good manager.

The fact of the matter is that after less than one month in charge, following lots of   careful thinking about whether and when to take the job, he decided that he couldn’t work under the conditions presented.

Given his experience of lower league football both through Salford City and being a Latics fan I think it would be unfair to suggest he was a pampered premier league star with no grip on the reality of life in league 2. You might level that sort of criticism at many others but not scholes.

We need to focus on what his actions and decision to potentially harm his own reputation tells us about OAFC at the current time.

Completely agree. Arguing about Scholes' reign, or comparing Scholes' results to Wild's, is futile and misses the bigger picture. Fiddling while Rome burns. The 🤡 needs to be removed.

Much ado about nothing, me thinks. PS states several times that he knew what he was going into i.e. regarding facilities commensurate with a team in the basement league. The "play him" scenario just happened the once and it looks as though he jumped at the chance to go on the back of that! Surely he could simply have made a stand and said to AL - lay off, or I`m gone?

More than anything his body language did not indicate a huge and irreconcilable clash with the owner - more a sense of he realised pretty quickly he was not manager material. Very telling that he said, in the background, at one point that it was "easy to change a game as a player" (i.e. but not as a manager, in his case).

Steve McManaman was quite a laugh really - you certainly wouldn't take him seriously would you! Was great when he said something like, "well no managers going to come in at a club like that and it's win, win win is he?". Erm.............. Pete Wild did mate as soon as PS went.

Glad I`ve seen that - just re-inforces my decision never to have subscribed to shit TV like BT or Sky. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

How do you know that there wasn’t a further chat with the Chairman?

The TV chat will not have been a full transcript of events leading up to his departure and he’s probably diluted the whole scenario, what is apparent is that AL is still trying to effect team selection.

If he was prepared to interfere in team selection with Scholes then he will continue to do it with any future manager, again and again!

Our chance of progression with this lunatic in charge is zero!!

I don’t have a clue as to what the alternative could be but what I do know is that AL is slowly slowly destroying this club and everything it stands for...I want him out ASAP!!!

And we will never get a true transcript will we! Obviously only get Scholes slant on it where he just couldn't operate in those terrible conditions etc - nothing on perhaps he had bitten off more than he could chew with this management lark as suggested by his one win in seven matches.

This chairman is clearly a major problem and his way of running things just doesn't suit this club (or any club), but don't tell me that Scholes poor run of results in charge is all down to him because that's absolute nonsense. What was it that AL did that caused that poor run? The long term future of our club with the current chairman doesn't look good but that run of results and then his subsequent premature disappearing act is probably more down to himself deciding to cut and run when things weren't working from the off.

Would Scholes have made a good manager? who knows, he didn't give himself and anyone the chance else to find out!

4 hours ago, archiecat said:

I'd say most of those comments aimed at scholes are fully warranted and he should have been man enough to admit his own failings in all of this, given his pedigree.

Best thing scholes did for this club was leaving!

6 hours ago, Andy b said:

Don’t think anyone is praising scholes for his managerial performance or indeed suggesting he would have been a good manager.

The fact of the matter is that after less than one month in charge, following lots of   careful thinking about whether and when to take the job, he decided that he couldn’t work under the conditions presented.

Given his experience of lower league football both through Salford City and being a Latics fan I think it would be unfair to suggest he was a pampered premier league star with no grip on the reality of life in league 2. You might level that sort of criticism at many others but not scholes.

We need to focus on what his actions and decision to potentially harm his own reputation tells us about OAFC at the current time.

Indeed , and nobody criticising Scholes is praising the chairman which some on here seem to be getting mixed up with, but how can we focus on rumours, biased comments (clearly Scholes isn't going to criticise himself) and come to any realistic conclusion? We cant

Did Scholes take as much care with his thoughts about leaving, and the impact that would have on the club? Only he knows

I'm not labelling him a pampered premier league player either, he has always shown an interest in our club and seems to love football in all its forms!

The bigger picture involves much more than Scholes and I suspect the issues with this chairman will unravel as time goes on, the truth does have a habit of getting the last word!

My point is (and its my point/opinion) that Scholes walking away was not just down to the antics of this chairman but more a mixture of things including his ability and confidence to manage.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, True Tic said:

And we will never get a true transcript will we! Obviously only get Scholes slant on it where he just couldn't operate in those terrible conditions etc - nothing on perhaps he had bitten off more than he could chew with this management lark as suggested by his one win in seven matches.

This chairman is clearly a major problem and his way of running things just doesn't suit this club (or any club), but don't tell me that Scholes poor run of results in charge is all down to him because that's absolute nonsense. What was it that AL did that caused that poor run? The long term future of our club with the current chairman doesn't look good but that run of results and then his subsequent premature disappearing act is probably more down to himself deciding to cut and run when things weren't working from the off.

Would Scholes have made a good manager? who knows, he didn't give himself and anyone the chance else to find out!

7 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Indeed , and nobody criticising Scholes is praising the chairman which some on here seem to be getting mixed up with, but how can we focus on rumours, biased comments (clearly Scholes isn't going to criticise himself) and come to any realistic conclusion? We cant

Did Scholes take as much care with his thoughts about leaving, and the impact that would have on the club? Only he knows

I'm not labelling him a pampered premier league player either, he has always shown an interest in our club and seems to love football in all its forms!

The bigger picture involves much more than Scholes and I suspect the issues with this chairman will unravel as time goes on, the truth does have a habit of getting the last word!

My point is (and its my point/opinion) that Scholes walking away was not just down to the antics of this chairman but more a mixture of things including his ability and confidence to manage.

A few weeks ago, you were bitching and moaning telling us all that Scholes should come out and say what happened.  Now that he has, live on TV, you’re telling us it’s just rumour and bias.  Last night, you said you hadn’t listened to the discussion and judging by your ill informed comments, you still haven’t, or you’re choosing to hear what supports your argument.

Did someone mention bias?

AL said he had asked his legal people to look into ‘the lies told in the press’ following Scholes’ departure.  Do you really think the BT Sports Producer told Scholes to shoot with both barrels in a live TV discussion?  He said a lot more than I thought he would to be honest - including that he hadn’t done a particularly good job.

What he has done though is totally expose our obnoxious owner publicly.  Whatever anyone thinks, that’s possibly the best thing that could have come out of this sorry saga.  

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

A few weeks ago, you were bitching and moaning telling us all that Scholes should come out and say what happened.  Now that he has, live on TV, you’re telling us it’s just rumour and bias.  Last night, you said you hadn’t listened to the discussion and judging by your ill informed comments, you still haven’t, or you’re choosing to hear what supports your argument.

AL said he had asked his legal people to look into ‘the lies told in the press’ following Scholes’ departure.  Do you really think the BT Sports Producer told Scholes to shoot with both barrels in a live TV discussion?  He said a lot more than I thought he would to be honest - including that he hadn’t done a particularly good job.

What he has done though is totally expose our obnoxious owner publicly.  Whatever anyone thinks, that’s possibly the best thing that could have come out of this sorry saga.  

Well said Mr Carpet, we will never all agree on Scholes for various reasons but we SHOULD all be singing from the same hymn sheet with regard to the owner,the guy is an absolute rotter !

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

7 minutes ago, archiecat said:

Well said Mr Carpet, we will never all agree on Scholes for various reasons but we SHOULD all be singing from the same hymn sheet with regard to the owner,the guy is an absolute rotter !

Totally agree.PS didn't come out all guns blazing in the interview and was keen to put forward positives around the players. There is clearly a fracture within the squad between ALs mob and the rest. Having spies in the camp and trying to marginalise Peter Clarke plumbs new depths for me.I wouldn't be surprised if Clarke and Baxter aren't at Salford next season.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Bitching and moaning ? Damn right I am. This club I love is being pinged around like a kid in a divorce court and you just continue with your bleating oh if only Scholes had been allowed to operate properly etc etc.

What a manful thing to do of Scholes, betting paid a tidy sum of money as a pundit and as a little side show just talk about his time at Latics, only a few little convenient snippets obviously because of legalities, and you are taking every bit of that as the gospel? - and you tell me hes come out and told us now so that's that! ok sorted then! Jesus.

Settle down and behave yourself...

17 minutes ago, archiecat said:

And I repeat myself!!!  Because we dare to criticise our Paul doesn't mean we all love AL.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Bitching and moaning ? Damn right I am. This club I love is being pinged around like a kid in a divorce court and you just continue with your bleating oh if only Scholes had been allowed to operate properly etc etc.

What a manful thing to do of Scholes, betting paid a tidy sum of money as a pundit and as a little side show just talk about his time at Latics, only a few little convenient snippets obviously because of legalities, and you are taking every bit of that as the gospel? - and you tell me hes come out and told us now so that's that! ok sorted then! Jesus.

Settle down and behave yourself...

So you struggle to read as well as listen.

I’m out.