Proper ‘proper’ forgotten away days

This is the point I wanna go on about Hughesys winner at Bournemouth and Millwall.

One of my all time favs, the Porter double at Forest. (That night, for Chubbs 💙 2006)

I won’t though as they’ll never be forgotten.

I’m talking about the proper forgotten ‘good’ away days

My pitch is Walsall 0-2 Oldham in February 2006.

Finished 10th that season. 6 points off the play-offs. 

Stuck 1,500 of us on the side. Sh*te.

Then Luke and Warney bagged 72’ and 74’ carnage in that corner. Pointless carnage but it’s a bit of pointless forgotten carnage I love. 

This f*cking club 💙🙏🏻

Some of my better memories include winning away at MK Dons at the hockey arena, we got battered for the majority of that, and (I think it was) Beckett popped up with a winner, absolute scenes in tbe away end, and a brilliant atmosphere.

Used to love our battles at Bristol City, when we were both up at the top of the league, I think we were 2-0 up at HT, and it was bouncing, then they battered us second half, If I remember correctly Scott Murray missed a pen and the away end was in raptures, next thing I remember is him stepping up again and I had no idea why, he scored the re-take. Can’t actually remember the final score, 2-2 perhaps. 

Huddersfield was always tasty, and we had a good record up there, great scenes when Allott scored that worldie. 

I always enjoyed Swindon away, that 3-0 away win in the boiling sun, in those yellow away shirts, Jermaine Johnson and Paul Murray were excellent, and the atmosphere that day still ranks as one of the best I have been to. Also the 1st away game 1 season, on a Tuesday night. Won 3-2 having been 3 up, Liddell scored a worldie, top atmosphere, and the Swindon fans were furious next to us when we sang ‘small town in Oxford’.

• Like 1

May 2009 Walsall 1 - Latics - 2 Ryan Brooke scoring the winner last game of Joe Royles second stint in charge.

I was sat with my mate and his father in law who is a Walsall fan in their end , could barely keep quiet...

Danny whittaker was playing for us then

• Like 1

0-0 away at West Ham one Tuesday night (might have been Wednesday) in the very early 80's. Memorable because :-

1) I think there was only our "van full" there that night from Oldham - so seven of us - seriously.

2) Never laughed so much seeing my mate running towards the van being chased by a large gentleman wielding a machete! He was screaming, "start the van, start the van" - transpired he'd not paid as much as he should have for the services of a lady in Soho - and the pimp was not amused. We got away safely.

3) We played well. It was a good 0-0 draw. We did make the mistake of singing one Oldham song in their main stand at the time - big mistake - later.

4) The West Ham fans were a sporting lot and applauded Latics off for their efforts.

5) It was only once outside the gound we realised it was a mistake having revealed ourselves by singing because there were literally hundreds of very mean looking skinheads on the hunt for us. One even asked one of us if we'd seen the "Norvern Cants" and my mate was as cool as a cucumber when replying in the negative in his best cockney accent! Call us shithouses but we would literally have been dead had we been found out.

Great days they were when away support (for Latics anyway) was sparse to say the least (I even recall us only taking about 50 to Sheff Weds away) - the coppers threw us in the bloody Sheffield end - was a nightmare! The camaraderie amongst the loyal few was amazing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

0-0 away at West Ham one Tuesday night (might have been Wednesday) in the very early 80's. Memorable because :-

1) I think there was only our "van full" there that night from Oldham - so seven of us - seriously.

2) Never laughed so much seeing my mate running towards the van being chased by a large gentleman wielding a machete! He was screaming, "start the van, start the van" - transpired he'd not paid as much as he should have for the services of a lady in Soho - and the pimp was not amused. We got away safely.

3) We played well. It was a good 0-0 draw. We did make the mistake of singing one Oldham song in their main stand at the time - big mistake - later.

4) The West Ham fans were a sporting lot and applauded Latics off for their efforts.

5) It was only once outside the gound we realised it was a mistake having revealed ourselves by singing because there were literally hundreds of very mean looking skinheads on the hunt for us. One even asked one of us if we'd seen the "Norvern Cants" and my mate was as cool as a cucumber when replying in the negative in his best cockney accent! Call us shithouses but we would literally have been dead had we been found out.

Great days they were when away support (for Latics anyway) was sparse to say the least (I even recall us only taking about 50 to Sheff Weds away) - the coppers threw us in the bloody Sheffield end - was a nightmare! The camaraderie amongst the loyal few was amazing.

Most fans don't believe those sort of away followings but we haven't always taken many away, even in the Prem days we took less than 100 away on more than one occasion.

One of my best away days was Brighton in the promotion season at the Goldstone, Ritchie scored a cracker and Holden came over at full time pumping his chest in front of us, hardly missed a game that season and at fulltime I really believed we were going to do it.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

This. Saints away 1990 league Cup QF. 

We were packed in like sardines and hundreds were locked out! 

https://youtu.be/uCN4dnpGQRQ

Probably still my favourite ever Latics game, as you say, we were sardines in there. That team was unbelievable, that Manager was unbelievable and this is why I’ll always keep the faith

• Like 2

3-0 Gillingham (Dec 2006)
Came during that fantastic purple patch which took us top of the league. Not a bad following considering it was during the festive period and it hosed it down all match on an uncovered stand.

1-0 Swansea (Feb 2007)

Real rugged away performance which sent us top. Warney with an opportunistic goal. Long away trip on the train interspersed with snowball fights.

3-1 QPR (Nov 1991)

Our second away win of the first season in the top flight. We went in decent numbers as it was our first in the capital that season and put in a stellar performance.

1-0 Chelsea (Oct 1993)

A hard grafted win with the Bear grabbing our winner. Backs to the wall as per and a hardy 250 or so on that huge terrace at Stamford Bridge.

2-1 Aston Villa (April 1988)

Hit Easter bang in form and went to Champions elect Villa. No-one seriously expected us to get anything. The seeds of Royle's "Bovis Cheats" were sewn then.

14 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

1-0 Chelsea (Oct 1993)

A hard grafted win with the Bear grabbing our winner. Backs to the wall as per and a hardy 250 or so on that huge terrace at Stamford Bridge.

Plus about 8 in the seats. I seem to recall a bunch of Frankfurt lads there too.

John Eyre came on for his debut, Beckford did his ankle celebrating, but was subbed off with about 15 minutes to go. 

One of my favourite away days that.

3rd oct 1981 norwich 1-2 tics last season under jimmy frizz fantastic start to the season playing some excelent football .realy good following to carrow road hell of an atmosphere tics win real buzz about the place think we went third that day little did we know how our season would fall apart after the wendies "riot" 

1 hour ago, peanuts said:

3rd oct 1981 norwich 1-2 tics last season under jimmy frizz fantastic start to the season playing some excelent football .realy good following to carrow road hell of an atmosphere tics win real buzz about the place think we went third that day little did we know how our season would fall apart after the wendies "riot" 

By wendies riot do you mean the match v Sheff Wed at BP which was held up for 20 minutes following Curran's sending off?  If so that was the season before, September 1980.

1-0 win at West Ham in the League Cup. Won it with a Corrazin header. Was worried about coming out with all the WHU fans, but the ones we walked out with were great. Then found out they'd shut the tube station and had to walk miles to another one. Was living in Bath at the time and was booked on the last National Express back. Made it to Victoria, extremely breathless, with about 2 minutes to spare. Happy days.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

1-0 win at West Ham in the League Cup. Won it with a Corrazin header. Was worried about coming out with all the WHU fans, but the ones we walked out with were great. Then found out they'd shut the tube station and had to walk miles to another one. Was living in Bath at the time and was booked on the last National Express back. Made it to Victoria, extremely breathless, with about 2 minutes to spare. Happy days.

Yep remember that well and the chaos after the game with the tube shut! Seem to also remember winning 2-1 at Derby's new ground the round before, with Clyde Wijnyard scoring an injury time late winner!! Great days.... 

5 hours ago, Sparkleking said:

By wendies riot do you mean the match v Sheff Wed at BP which was held up for 20 minutes following Curran's sending off?  If so that was the season before, September 1980.

sure it was the same season just goes to show old age a senility catching up ........ wheres my pudding ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Yep remember that well and the chaos after the game with the tube shut! Seem to also remember winning 2-1 at Derby's new ground the round before, with Clyde Wijnyard scoring an injury time late winner!! Great days.... 

I did derby, we were flying that season