Proper ‘proper’ forgotten away days

4 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

1-0 win at West Ham in the League Cup. Won it with a Corrazin header. Was worried about coming out with all the WHU fans, but the ones we walked out with were great. Then found out they'd shut the tube station and had to walk miles to another one. Was living in Bath at the time and was booked on the last National Express back. Made it to Victoria, extremely breathless, with about 2 minutes to spare. Happy days.

Great night that.  Only one entrance was open before the game until they realised how many of us was queuing.  Carlos header then the tube shut.   Two of us also walked miles as we didn’t have a clue where next tube was.  Just walked towards the city centre until we flagged down a taxi.  

QPR away (play-off semi) was a great atmosphere despite result.  

Had many over the years, few notable ones for me 

Sheffield Weds 1990 (my first away match)

Manchester City 1991 

Stoke City 1994 (cup)

Noblot 1994 (cup) 

Bratfud 1996/2006

Stockport County 2003

Wycombe Wanderers 2003 

Huddersfield Town 2006

Dirty Leeds x2 2008 (what a time to be alive)

Fulham 2019 

and a few cracking weekends away including Portsmouth 1995, Southend 1996 and Bournemouth 2000 to name a few. 

Happy days. 

Edited by Dick_Valentine
  • Like 1

Grimsby away Boxing Day 2003. 3-3 draw but their defensive frailties that we exploited on celebration Sunday a couple of months later were definitely on display. 

Ernie scored one of our best team goals that I've seen, Dowie had recently left to go to Palace. Despite being almost dead and buried a few months prior to that game, it showed we were going to stay up for me. 

Edited by rudemedic
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Great night that.  Only one entrance was open before the game until they realised how many of us was queuing.  Carlos header then the tube shut.   Two of us also walked miles as we didn’t have a clue where next tube was.  Just walked towards the city centre until we flagged down a taxi.  

QPR away (play-off semi) was a great atmosphere despite result.  

The only way we found the right tube station was someone walking with us had a London map that he carried when delivering cars in the Capital. 

QPR play off; wasn't that when Pogliacomi played virtually on one leg rather than play Miskelly who'd cost us the equaliser (I think) in the first leg? (No pun intended)

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I used to have a VHS of that season. Watched it so many times as a kid.

It was the same day Inspiral Carpets topped the bill at the Reading Festival. I was there the following day with a backstage pass and told Clint (then a Latics fan) and Graham about the match.

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

The best atmosphere I've ever experienced in any match. It was like a tinderbox that night. So tense.

I sat on the tube on way home thinking that we’d automatically go up next season...especially when Chris Moore was telling everyone in the pub beforehand that he’s going nowhere and ready to pump more in and push us on

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

I sat on the tube on way home thinking that we’d automatically go up next season...especially when Chris Moore was telling everyone in the pub beforehand that he’s going nowhere and ready to pump more in and push us on

I already knew that was an out and out lie. Took a lot of the excitement out of that day. 

16 hours ago, League one forever said:

I used to have a VHS of that season. Watched it so many times as a kid.

I still do. It’s on dailymotion too (part 1). That person has uploaded so many Latics related videos from the ‘pinch-me’ years it’s brilliant, if the person responsible is on here then thank you very much.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I still do. It’s on dailymotion too (part 1). That person has uploaded so many Latics related videos from the ‘pinch-me’ years it’s brilliant, if the person responsible is on here then thank you very much.

Just incredible. I am so grateful to have been at an age at that time which meant that I was able to enjoy it to the full and still remember it so vividly.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Just incredible. I am so grateful to have been at an age at that time which meant that I was able to enjoy it to the full and still remember it so vividly.  

You are, the rest of us have next to fuck all to cling onto.

On 4/20/2019 at 11:50 AM, Londonboy said:

Yep remember that well and the chaos after the game with the tube shut! Seem to also remember winning 2-1 at Derby's new ground the round before, with Clyde Wijnyard scoring an injury time late winner!! Great days.... 

I was just going to mention that as much as i enjoyed the result at UP (club coach so travel wasn't an issue) i can't remember the round before apart from the fact we won! Great times 

Forgetting the result - we generally lost! I remember one particular visit to Brighton where a number of fans congregated in the local pub/hotel named after the ground iirc.

Anyways, the barman had a bit of a fall out with his manageress and promptly walked off leaving the bar unattended .. not the best idea they ever had!

Our lot took full advantage and my endearing memory is a replica shirt adorned fan acting like the head barman at the savoy ha ha ha .. it resembled the ale trail when the last train home was about to arrive .. I've never seen so much drank in such a short time ha ha 

18 minutes ago, thetramfixer said:

Forgetting the result - we generally lost! I remember one particular visit to Brighton where a number of fans congregated in the local pub/hotel named after the ground iirc.

Anyways, the barman had a bit of a fall out with his manageress and promptly walked off leaving the bar unattended .. not the best idea they ever had!

Our lot took full advantage and my endearing memory is a replica shirt adorned fan acting like the head barman at the savoy ha ha ha .. it resembled the ale trail when the last train home was about to arrive .. I've never seen so much drank in such a short time ha ha 

I think at least one member of this board doesn't remember that day very well. 

Unfortunately muggins here was driving and I'd already had my one pre-match drink. 

• Like 1

one that does stand out is wrexham in the 81  traveled on the latics liner  fantastic following and we did em 3-0  roger wylde in his pomp  tics singing there hearts out from start to finnish  in a packed standing end  proper away day 

• Like 1

A lot of the older ones mentioned have resonance, the Villa game at Easter 88 was the one and only time I've had a kicking when we were followed after match by some of the Villa knobheads.

One's not mentioned so far, Ipswich away when we sealed promotion was an epic day.

Beating City 4-1 at Maine Road in the 80's

Southend away, lost 1-0, can't remember the year, our driver had worked all day in his taxi on Friday and picked us up after shift at 2am Saturday. By Saturday tea time he was dead on his feet and we were pissed. He had a little pick me up before setting off back, never shut up all the way home and thought it was hilarious going through the Peak District to turn all the lights off on the car going up a hill when he could see one coming up the other side before putting them on full beam as the other car crested the hill.

West Brom away, notable for a couple of our younger contingent coming into the pub by the ground saying they'd bribed the gate stewards to let them in. Much hilarity as we went to queue up and they sauntered down to said stewards with knowing smiles on their faces. The stewards nodded to a copper who promptly lifted them.

Many others, 50 years this year supporting, dad started taking me when I was 4, been some good times had.