Proper ‘proper’ forgotten away days

West Ham away, League Cup SF 1990. I was working in London at the time, popped down to Upton Park for a ticket and told the guy in the ticket office I didn’t mind where I went - 6-0 up from first leg, game over after all.

After about (?) 25 mins WH are 3-0 up and battering us. An extremely large, shaven-headed WH fan clamped his hand on my shoulder and asked how long to h/t (pre-mobiles remember!). I thought about a Cockney accent and then just rolled up my sleeve and showed him my watch. Lived to tell the tale.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

West Ham away, League Cup SF 1990.

Speaking of West Ham, we played them the week before Xmas that season. Did 'em 2-0 a week after we got trounced at Watford 0-3. My dad told me to choose which of the two I'd rather go to. Of course I fucking chose Watford.

West Ham were absolutely sick of us by 1991. There's a Hammer I'm acquainted with who never lets me forget that.

• Like 1

Back in the days before life intruded and I was like a moth to a flame when the floodlights were on I left my sisters church wedding before the bride and groom did to go to an away game at Derby. They'd arranged it at 11am to accommodate me but the vicar dragged on a bit. Mate had a bag of clothes in the car, he stuck his head round the church door as they were away signing the register and I did one. Stripped down to my boxers to get changed out of my wedding suit on the forecourt of the garage that used to be next to the White Hart as we filled the car up. With hindsight I'm amazed she still speaks to me and we lost as I remember....

Edited by inspectormorose
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, inspectormorose said:

Back in the days before life intruded and I was like a moth to a flame when the floodlights were on I left my sisters church wedding before the bride and groom did to go to an away game at Derby. They'd arranged it at 11am to accommodate me but the vicar dragged on a bit. Mate had a bag of clothes in the car, he stuck his head round the church door as they were away signing the register and I did one. Stripped down to my boxers to get changed out of my wedding suit on the forecourt of the garage that used to be next to the White Hart as we filled the car up. With hindsight I'm amazed she still speaks to me and we lost as I remember....

My mum and dad went to watch Latics away on their wedding day too. Got married, went to Huddersfield and then back for their reception in the evening. February 1984...

Notts County, 4th game of the 1994/95 season after we'd been relegated from the Premier League. Won 3-1. Sean McCarthy hat-trick. Was as sure as I could be we were going straight back up after this game. We lost the next 4 on the bounce and I went to every one.... in fact, I only missed 1 of the first 11.

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

Notts County, 4th game of the 1994/95 season after we'd been relegated from the Premier League. Won 3-1. Sean McCarthy hat-trick. Was as sure as I could be we were going straight back up after this game. We lost the next 4 on the bounce and I went to every one.... in fact, I only missed 1 of the first 11.

IIRC we went top after that. We released a commemorative video too. 

Shame it didn't last...

10 hours ago, rudemedic said:

IIRC we went top after that. We released a commemorative video too. 

Shame it didn't last...

Brilliant night match. Sean McCarthy on fire, smashed an unstoppable 20-yarder in. I was sure we were going straight back up to the Prem after that but then everything went to shit..  

Wycombe away - 2012, 2-2 last minute Simpson penalty to basically ensure we stayed up. Pissed myself on the mini bus outside Tesco as I just didnt make it in time.

Pompey away x 2 1-0 first game with montano/og, and then the 2-1 last year was an amazing show of how not to police a football match, like what I imagined football in 70s/80s was.

Bury away - Collusso last minute, my first memory of an away game.

Sheff Wednesday when Sheridan came out of retirement, bagged a penalty, and got us a point at the favourites whilst playing on one leg.

Leyton orient away last game of season, Baxter nutmegging for fun, and a baby waving at the away end from the apartments on the corner of the stadium after chants of "baby baby give us a wave"

One for @Lee Sinnott - Jesus died for Connor Brown to bag at Col U away!

The list is endless, for all the moaning and the shit they do give us some great days out!

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 9:23 PM, oafcmetty said:

Chesterfield in the rain on boxing day

Hereford 5-0. Hammered, in both senses of the word.

God I remember that Hereford game. Got to the ground and I remember how pleased I was that it was a standing terrace behind the goal. Then the match kicked off........

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

God I remember that Hereford game. Got to the ground and I remember how pleased I was that it was a standing terrace behind the goal. Then the match kicked off........

Dean Windass calling us balloons, the fat cunt

5 hours ago, youngen said:

Wycombe away - 2012, 2-2 last minute Simpson penalty to basically ensure we stayed up. Pissed myself on the mini bus outside Tesco as I just didnt make it in time.

One of your favourite memories is of pissing yourself on a minibus?  You must be looking forward to old age - every day will be a party!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Bournemouth away 2000, lads & I arrived Friday teatime, chucked bags in the rooms and got a taxi to town. Asked taxi driver to take us somewhere we could pull, got dropped off at a gay bar 🤦🏼‍♂️

Well go on then we’re all dying to know ? Did Dick get dick ? 

Edited by simplythemostimportantkick
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

One of your favourite memories is of pissing yourself on a minibus?  You must be looking forward to old age - every day will be a party!

It was a “proper” away day. Not a fantastic memory of the day, but the day itself was fantastic! Change of clothes in the car at the rifle so it turned out sound, it’s like I knew it would happen!!