Proper ‘proper’ forgotten away days

Spurs 4 Latics 1 1993

The game before the escape.

My Dad and I went to loads of away games that season, for some reason I remember Dad trying to park in a tiny space and us laughing that it didn’t matter if we bashed  the cars either side because they belonged to southerners! 

Then being so depressed on the way home.....

oh yea of little faith 

Aston Villa 0 latics 1 

THE greatest day of my life.  We live in Birmingham and I fucking hate Villa  

Shrewsbury - losing then Roger rescued the situation (Corrie WAG to the left)

Huddersfield - old ground they got relegated it was sunny 

Liverpool - League Cup / Midweek the blue star was about to rise 

City - Roger destroyed 'em , things turned out alright for them in the end.

Bury - little Argie fella scored and approx. 35892 oldham fans went mental

Leeds - horrible fans , we seemed to beat them at their place at least two times before October each year - Roger shut them up one year from outside the box and they sent there best players over for a three year period 

The above - all from memory not from a search engine so go easy if it's slightly blurred around fact 

On 4/19/2019 at 7:38 PM, Ritchierich said:

Hi I'm a new member on here yet been following latics since I was a boy and  I'm 42 now...  Ive been to many memorable games over the years but the one that stands out to me was the Everton game away in the rumbelows cup ?? We got beat 2-1 Neil Adam scored a free kick for Everton.. I remember Andy Gorton having a blinder for us..But the one thing that stands out for me was the noise in the away end ..Coming up the steps and hearing the Oldham fanss loud as f@@k stamping their feet on the wooden floor the stand shaking  ! Still gives me goose bumps today !! 

Barnsley in the promotion season, open terrace and was about 6,000 there..

Man City away as kid - Roger's hattrick

Liverpool - first game in the top flight

Everton - Neil Adams last gasp two goals 2-2 and everyone bouncing in that wooden stand 1993

Huddersfield demolition job 3-0 in 2006

Leeds - had Chris Taylor first goal scorer and 2 nil, then had to walk to the home side to collect the winnings after the game 2008

Fulham - Never expected that turn out or result

Exeter/Newport ????

8 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Most of these aren't 'forgotten' away days...

A few of them are. Granted, things like Fulham away are just a great away day that everyone recalls, but ones like that Notts County away where McCarthy scored that hattrick had totally fallen off my radar. Great thread, this.

Another couple.

Hednesford (1999, w4-2)

Back in the days where playing in the FA Cup 1st Round was a novelty. A classic against a plucky non-league side. Good Latics following.

Sunderland (1990, w3-2)

A bit forgotten since it fell right in that mad spell of games at the end of the pinch-me season. Roaster of a day, great following again and a fine win in a great old school stadium. Not sure but I think we may have still a shout of the play-offs. Sunderland beat Newcastle in the play-offs and went up that season.

Torquay (1991, w2-1)

League cup 1st leg tie (think we won the second leg 7-1). An absolutely huge Latics flag (one of those old naval ensign ones I think) was in the home end side terrace IIRC. Sticks in my mind that one. Got banned from Barlows after the rapscallions that we were pilfered the services of soft drinks, chocolate and jazz mags. A blessing in disguise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Sunderland (1990, w3-2)

A bit forgotten since it fell right in that mad spell of games at the end of the pinch-me season. Roaster of a day, great following again and a fine win in a great old school stadium. Not sure but I think we may have still a shout of the play-offs. Sunderland beat Newcastle in the play-offs and went up that season.

17 hours ago, fleetwood Blue said:

Liverpool - first game in the top flight

Everton - Neil Adams last gasp two goals 2-2 and everyone bouncing in that wooden stand 1993

Could be wrong but from memory think our play off hopes had gone at home against Wolves 2 days before. Didn't we play Tuesday, Thursday, Sunderland on Saturday and again on Monday when the season had finished in the week following the Littlewoods Cup Final the previous Sunday, so 5 games in 9 days?

Liverpool, elbowed someone in the face when I jumped up to celebrate Earls opener, if you're reading this I apologise, I know it's nearly 30 years on but better late than never.

That Everton game, we got in early doors and a lad pitched up with a rucksack and took it off and put it down next to us. Couple of minutes later he says in a broad Irish accent "Will you watch this while I nip away under the stand?" to which the mates dad who'd tagged along replied "Son, if you're going, we're all going."

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

The day we got relegated from the Premier League, result apart, was a good day out.... I remember being in a pub before the game and loads of Norwich fans wanting us to stay up and the expense of "Ipshit" as they called them......

Was it ever possible for us to stay up on the final day...?

7 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Not unfeasible at all. Think a win with an Ipswich loss and a 2 goal swing would've done it. Remember listening on GMR and my old man fretting that we didn't get tickets when we went 1 up. Fuckin Hughes!

Edited by longtimeblue

The Southampton League Cup QF

Got through to near the front , where there was some room  , but looking behind people were struggling to get off steps into the stand.

The gate at the front was open, which was very good to see a year on from Hillsborough.

2-2 at Sheff Wed in promotion year

An incredible game , 2-0 up at half time and they must have our woodwork 4 or 5 times.

But the best was 

City 1 Oldham 4 , Roger's hat trick at Maine Road on an August Bank Holiday some time in the Jurassic era.

On 4/26/2019 at 2:54 PM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Sunderland (1990, w3-2)

Had forgotten this but what a great game.

Think promotion hopes had gone, playing Sat, Tue, Thu, Sat, Mon or something crazy. 

No pressure on this one, just knocked it around like demons. Think Sunderland fans clapped us off.

4 hours ago, stargazer said:

But the best was 

City 1 Oldham 4 , Roger's hat trick at Maine Road on an August Bank Holiday some time in the Jurassic era.

Without doubt,  plus the perfect hatrick.

One right foot.

One left foot

and a header. 

9 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Yeah. We needed to beat Norwich and Ipswich lose at Blackburn and see a 3 goal swing... and Everton to lose too.

At HT, we were 1-0 up, Everton 2-0 down at home to Wimbledon and Blackburn v Ipswich was 0-0, which was how the game ended.

Everton scored 3 in the 2nd half in a game that was later considered to be suspicious. We conceded in the 2nd half and it was game over.