Latics announce End Of Season Awards Dinner 2018/19

13 minutes ago, owdumer said:

But should be cheaper and more convenient at OEC all things being equal.

That's what I was thinking. Why go all the way to Manchester and pay £45 for something cheaper at the ground, with a MasterChef winner.

24 minutes ago, al_bro said:

That's what I was thinking. Why go all the way to Manchester and pay £45 for something cheaper at the ground, with a MasterChef winner.

Isn’t this a great illustration of the mess we would appear to be? 

A brand new stand with decent function facilities at our ‘own ground’ yet we hold our awards ceremony in a different location and not even in a 

venue which will support oldham businesses/people. 

Don’t blame anyone as such and clearly the reasons are not straightforward but it’s just a ridiculous situation to be in.

Edited by Andy b
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not convenient for the fans who will have to stump up more than £20 extra to get to Manchester and back.Presumably more convenient for some of the players and others at the club that live in Manchester. Local community,employment,identity etc,etc...need I go on anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, laticsmarra said:

Not convenient for the fans who will have to stump up more than £20 extra to get to Manchester and back.Presumably more convenient for some of the players and others at the club that live in Manchester. Local community,employment,identity etc,etc...need I go on anymore.

This defines where the club is at the moment I am afraid 

I have never been to an awards dinner and can't imagine ever wanting to go.

However I don't get the mockery of them having one this season (regardless of where it is). We had one whenever we finished 14th-19th in League One didn't we?

We're still mathematically in with a shot of the play offs with 4 games to go. We've got a striker with 15 goals. A goalkeeper who is likely to finish just off the club clean sheet record. A defender who has made the L2 team of the year and his CB partner who has actually been better than him. A manager who has put up with a load of shit and from a PPG perspective is (I assume) one of the best we've had. There are some likeable characters in the current team/coaching staff.

That is all stuff that can and should be recognised. The need for some people to gripe and have a go all the time is absurd.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

I have never been to an awards dinner and can't imagine ever wanting to go.

However I don't get the mockery of them having one this season (regardless of where it is). We had one whenever we finished 14th-19th in League One didn't we?

We're still mathematically in with a shot of the play offs with 4 games to go. We've got a striker with 15 goals. A goalkeeper who is likely to finish just off the club clean sheet record. A defender who has made the L2 team of the year and his CB partner who has actually been better than him. A manager who has put up with a load of shit and from a PPG perspective is (I assume) one of the best we've had. There are some likeable characters in the current team/coaching staff.

That is all stuff that can and should be recognised. The need for some people to gripe and have a go all the time is absurd.

100% agreed. The last few years these have been celebrating mediocrity. This time we're at least still in the fight (albeit barely). 

I don't think this is a bad season, we're up there. If someone had offered me our current position in preseason I would have snapped their hand off. It was unrealistic to expect us to bounce straight back up. 

Agreed - while we’d all like to be further up the league, and would have been if Surridge hadn’t cleared off, don’t forget that Sky weren’t the only ‘experts’ that had us down for the drop. In the circumstances surrounding the club Bunn and Wild have done a remarkable job.

1 minute ago, JED said:

Agreed - while we’d all like to be further up the league, and would have been if Surridge hadn’t cleared off, don’t forget that Sky weren’t the only ‘experts’ that had us down for the drop. In the circumstances surrounding the club Bunn and Wild have done a remarkable job.

Lol.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JED said:

35 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Lol.

Are we not taking in to account that the standard of this league is far and away worse than anyone could have possibly imagined ? Not going up is an underachievement IMO

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jimbooth said:

100% agreed. The last few years these have been celebrating mediocrity. This time we're at least still in the fight (albeit barely). 

I don't think this is a bad season, we're up there. If someone had offered me our current position in preseason I would have snapped their hand off. It was unrealistic to expect us to bounce straight back up. 

I agree. It’s been a relatively successful season on the pitch (relative being the key word). 

1 minute ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Are we not taking in to account that the standard of this league is far and away worse than anyone could have possibly imagined ? Not going up is an underachievement IMO

Quite agree. Wasn't expecting too much this season but the standard of football is miles lower than League 1 and with a well balanced team, both on and off the pitch, the play-offs at least was easily achievable. 

• Like 1