Expectations For Next Season

14 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

As long as we serve up better than that drivel in the ECL final, I will be happy

Yes it was a terrible game. Liverpool couldn't string 2 passes together, but were more dangerous in front of goal. Lots of hoofball from both teams.

So it’s the 3rd June today, from reading articles on news pages of other clubs, it would appear a number of teams start pre season training on the 24th June so exactly 3 weeks today. So far no manager/head coach or backroom team has been appointed and barely any new signings. 

“Fail to Prepare.....Prepare to Fail” 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Paul said:

So it’s the 3rd June today, from reading articles on news pages of other clubs, it would appear a number of teams start pre season training on the 24th June so exactly 3 weeks today. So far no manager/head coach or backroom team has been appointed and barely any new signings. 

There's a months money to be saved you know.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul said:

How much tactical work and the like gets done in the first week of pre-season training? 

Very early in pre-season training I know we usually go to Bolton uni to use their physiology lab for biometrics etc. I'd guess most clubs do something similar. 

PS What time of year do the rich Arabs decamp to London due to extreme heat in their home countries?

Edited by rudemedic

16 hours ago, Paul said:

Yeah I kind of think that maybe their thinking but it’s still not good preparation 🙈

I actually think it’s prudent. 

Why would you sign players now, when your effectively paying for them to go holiday until July? Plus you’ve got to pay all the current squad with no income coming in. Why would you add to that? 

It it doesn’t make any sense. 

As long as the manager is appointed before the first of July, and he has a bit of squad and additions coming in, we’ll be fine. (In terms of prep) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Why would you sign players now, when your effectively paying for them to go holiday until July? Plus you’ve got to pay all the current squad with no income coming in. Why would you add to that? 

As long as the manager is appointed before the first of July, and he has a bit of squad and additions coming in, we’ll be fine. (In terms of prep) 

Is four weeks enough time for a new manager to get to know his squad and prepare for the season start? Possibly yes.

Is this ideal preparation? Probably no.

Financial prudence or penny-pinching?  🤔

False economy? Definitely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Depends how you budget.  If done properly you're prepared for the off season when there's no match day revenue.  Plus season ticket money has come in.  It really shouldn't be a case of having to have skeleton staff in June to save money.

The better players will be in demand, and will go where they are wanted and where they are paid.  Plus a new head coach and a couple of key signings may generate a bit of excitement and see some increased season ticket sales.  If we're holding off until the last minute to save on wages, we'll end up with the dregs.

Like most years I suppose.

50 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Is four weeks enough time for a new manager to get to know his squad and prepare for the season start? Possibly yes.

Is this ideal preparation? Probably no.

Financial prudence or penny-pinching?  🤔

False economy? Definitely. 

Come off it. 

So let’s say he signs 4 players today. What prep are they getting before they report back? How are the squad gelling when their all on holiday??? 

How is it a false economy? If money is tight, are you suggesting you want what little we’ve got to go on players who won’t even be here for another month? 

We do this every year. An every year people seemed surprised. 

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Depends how you budget.  If done properly you're prepared for the off season when there's no match day revenue.  Plus season ticket money has come in.  It really shouldn't be a case of having to have skeleton staff in June to save money.

The better players will be in demand, and will go where they are wanted and where they are paid.  Plus a new head coach and a couple of key signings may generate a bit of excitement and see some increased season ticket sales.  If we're holding off until the last minute to save on wages, we'll end up with the dregs.

Like most years I suppose.

This assumes we are a well run club, with a bit in the bank. Who can afford to pay 3/4 weeks wages for players who are away. 

We haven’t been this for as long as I can remeber. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

This assumes we are a well run club, with a bit in the bank. Who can afford to pay 3/4 weeks wages for players who are away. 

We haven’t been this for as long as I can remeber. 

It shouldn't be a surprise that there's a revenue drop in the off season.  I expect us to be a club that's run well enough to be able to cope with this.

@TheBigDog is right when he says it's a false economy.  How much would it cost to pay new players for a couple of months?  For example, a head coach and 3 new players on £2000 per week for 8 weeks = £64,000.  Not taking in to account signing on fees (as I don't know if they happen or how much they'd be) then you'd need to sell about 200/250 additional adult season tickets to pay for that.  Doesn't seem a stretch to suggest that a decent new head coach and some new signings on board would bring a couple of hundred of last seasons non-renewers back.

25 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Come off it. 

So let’s say he signs 4 players today. What prep are they getting before they report back? How are the squad gelling when their all on holiday??? 

How is it a false economy? If money is tight, are you suggesting you want what little we’ve got to go on players who won’t even be here for another month? 

That is not really the point I was making. 

I was commenting on the managerial appointment. Any new manager/coach brought in will need time to get up to speed with the club’s approach/facilities/budget. Any players he recommends will need researching and then the negotiations would take place.

With any players that our owners ‘recommend’ there will also be a lead time.

An extra month for a coach/manager would prove beneficial I feel.

9 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I was commenting on the managerial appointment. Any new manager/coach brought in will need time to get up to speed with the club’s approach/facilities/budget. Any players he recommends will need researching and then the negotiations would take place.

It won't take anyone long to count our budget

46 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Come off it. 

Morning Simon.

34 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Fair enough. 

The manager I definitely agree on. For the reasons you point out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leeslover said:

Not in Saudi Arabia it isn't 

57 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Not for Muzlamics it isn’t.

Not sure if you're trying to wind me up here, but you can have one bite. The Islamic calendar is lunar which is about ten days shorter than the solar one. Ramadan moves forward about ten days each year. 

26 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Not sure if you're trying to wind me up here, but you can have one bite. The Islamic calendar is lunar which is about ten days shorter than the solar one. Ramadan moves forward about ten days each year. 

Yeah, but if you're using the Islamic calendar to tell when Ramadan is, which you sort of would, it's consistent. Dr Medic asked when Gulf Arabs do a runner, for the reasons you mention an answer in the Gregorian calendar will get out of date each year.