Expectations For Next Season

4 hours ago, losesome said:

Sadly this is where our problems started. 

When we were in the prem we had a small minded div 4 board of directors. Their attitude was , Wow never thought I would live to see this so let's just enjoy it whilst we are here.

There was no attempt to try and sell the club or attract investment,  it was a bunch of old men with no foresight. When we did eventually get relegated our then board were just celebrating the fact we had 3 glorious years in the prem. The first thing they did after relegation was to clear out anyone earning more than £500 week.

Inevitably another relegation followed and the rest is history.

Look at the teams that finished below us when we won the old div2.

WHU, Newcastle, Leeds, Southampton, Wolves to name just a few and look where most of these are now. Also look at the stadiums they are playing in and the investments ploughed in.

I know their fan bases are much bigger than ours etc but teams like Burnley & Bournemouth have proved this doesn't need to be an obstacle. 

I know people slam the likes of Moore's, Corney  and now AL but it all started with a group of very small minded business men who made one very lucky decision ( based on taking a cheap option ) by appointing Joe Royle.

We can only prey that sometime in the future whoever the owner is makes the same very lucky decision we did back in the 80s.

I agree about the small-mindedness following relegation, but it was a completely different game to what it is now when we were in the top flight (the Premier League mega mega money started the season after we went down, typically..). Jack Walker bought Blackburn the title as a fan, but such investment wasn’t the norm that it is now. I think everyone tried their best while we were there - we smashed our record transfer fee, played three seasons and reached an FA Cup semi-final. It’s what came after that should have been better thought out.

There’s been some bad management at the top, but we’ve also been bloody unlucky. I still believe we’d be in a much better place now if Mark Hughes hadn’t scored that goal.  Even things like Manchester’s bid for the 1996 Olympics - stand to be corrected, but I think if they’d have got it we’d have got a brand new stadium out of it..

What a place Boundary Park will be when all this evens itself out...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Salford on their way up. Yet another club we can’t compete with financially...

The biggest shareholder at Salford is a Singaporean Billionaire. The class of 92 lot, who are all probably individually worth more than AL only own 10% each. 

There are Premier League sides who can't beat that financial backing. 

6 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Looks like we can more than compete in the support department though. Pisspoor in my opinion playing this at Wembley !! 

Agreed. They should play it somewhere like Ewood Park or Deepdale. Both sets of fans outnumbered by neutrals in a total crowd under 8,100 - pathetic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Salford on their way up. Yet another club we can’t compete with financially...

Who can in the bottom two leagues?   They won’t be allowed to splash the cash the same way in EFL... unless they cheat of course with some creative accountancy. Which, with that mob as owners, they will. 

1 hour ago, Oldham82 said:

Sol Campbell if named to take us up. Positive thinking people 

Dampen down your expectations, for who knows what's going to be left playerwise???

We've had one season down here and hope we don't have another 20.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

Dampen down your expectations, for who knows what's going to be left playerwise???

We've had one season down here and hope we don't have another 20.

As poor as it is I’d snap your hand off at 20 seasons in league 2

4 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Who can in the bottom two leagues?   They won’t be allowed to splash the cash the same way in EFL... unless they cheat of course with some creative accountancy. Which, with that mob as owners, they will. 

Creative accounting is not required. All it needs to be is cash in from the owners that isn’t a loan. 

On 5/10/2019 at 10:50 AM, losesome said:

When we were in the prem we had a small minded div 4 board of directors. Their attitude was , Wow never thought I would live to see this so let's just enjoy it whilst we are here.

There was no attempt to try and sell the club or attract investment,  it was a bunch of old men with no foresight. When we did eventually get relegated our then board were just celebrating the fact we had 3 glorious years in the prem. The first thing they did after relegation was to clear out anyone earning more than £500 week.

WHU, Newcastle, Leeds, Southampton, Wolves to name just a few and look where most of these are now. Also look at the stadiums they are playing in and the investments ploughed in.

I know their fan bases are much bigger than ours etc but teams like Burnley & Bournemouth have proved this doesn't need to be an obstacle. 

I know people slam the likes of Moore's, Corney  and now AL but it all started with a group of very small minded business men who made one very lucky decision ( based on taking a cheap option ) by appointing Joe Royle.

We can only prey that sometime in the future whoever the owner is makes the same very lucky decision we did back in the 80s.

Sure Leeds and Southampton were both in the division above us in 91... Bang on otherwise.

On 5/10/2019 at 10:50 AM, losesome said:

Sure Leeds and Southampton were both in the division above us in 91... Bang on otherwise.