Expectations For Next Season

19 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Everytime one of you blows smoke up this guys arse on the back of one of his rants I always seem to immediately see contradiction... 

This is a long thread bemoaning a lack of assistance, financial or otherwise, from the Fa and EFL yet in that same thread, his own same thread, he says "We are profitable and have net assets rather than liabilities."

So, if he can do it, and get a small club promoted whilst doing it, why can't everyone else? Why is he saying clubs need more handouts (I think that's what he's saying?) rather than more clubs should run themselves in the manner he does? 

Why is he not pushing the idea of just paying players less, or having fewer highly paid players and living within your means, like he seems to be saying Accy are...? 

He doesn't say that, he states that the EFL is weak and subservient to the PL and is not structuring the game for the good of the clubs.
He gives an example of the Checkatrade and asserts that he believes the clubs are trying to get B teams theough the back door.

People either believe that will happen or they implicity trust the FA & EFL.

Another example is the structing of the broadcasting rights to the Top 6, who are due to recieve £75m more than the bottom half teams.

So basically the choice is free market or a fairer distribution to ensure success for more3 clubs.

Rugby League had a closed shop, followed the Aussie model. Market forces (and loss of viewers..) meant they reverted to promotion an relegation as the excitement dwindled.

Leicester were a classic exa mple of not just ensuring survivial of the fittest.

He also  points out the lack of fiscal oversight that has led to Bolton and Blackpool situations.

Look at our club.

How many are happy that the EFL have approved our purchase and also the Board of Directors we have now appointed?

It should not be beyond the wit of the EFL to ensure that some more neutral non execs are appointed.

What I do acknowledge is that many would still feel it was the same Oldham if we went pop, and started again from the North West Counties. But why would anyone not want the EFL to intervene and try and prevent that.

I'm perplexed by those happier to see political dogma of free market and no intervention above the health of their team.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Deeper than what? 

Back in the 80's Liverpool/United/Spurs/Everton etc... had all the money and many other top flight clubs had shithole grounds and little money.

Division 2 clubs were in even worse states, us included. 

You could argue any gulf has narrowed when you look at the facilities etc of many Championship clubs....

and how many of those clubs gained at least some of the money for the facilitites from the Premier LEague parachute "handouts" and gratns that you rail against?
Lets look at the table:
Norwich, Sheff Utd, Leeds, West Brom, Villa, Derby, Boro,  Bristol City not, Forest, Swansea, Brentford not, Sheff Weds, Hull, Preston not, Blackburn, Stoke, Birmingham, Wigan, QPR, Reading, Millwall not, Rotherham not, Bolton Ipswich.
Just 5 clubs have not benefitted.

1 hour ago, singe said:

and how many of those clubs gained at least some of the money for the facilitites from the Premier LEague parachute "handouts" and gratns that you rail against?
Lets look at the table:
Norwich, Sheff Utd, Leeds, West Brom, Villa, Derby, Boro,  Bristol City not, Forest, Swansea, Brentford not, Sheff Weds, Hull, Preston not, Blackburn, Stoke, Birmingham, Wigan, QPR, Reading, Millwall not, Rotherham not, Bolton Ipswich.
Just 5 clubs have not benefitted.

"Rail against"? 

12 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

....the day the top 22 clubs - and we were one of them - voted to leave the football league and set up a separate league able to retain the vast, vast majority of money generated, was the day the gap began to widen. Now, if you agree wholeheartedly with free market economics - I’ve just watched the Thatcher documentary on BBC2 - then I agree with you both, there is nothing wrong with it.

The problem is, it just perpetuates the security of the richest clubs at the top table. United, Liverpool, Spurs, City & Chelsea (numerous times) were relegated between the 60s and the 80s..... they will NEVER be relegated again.

This filters down - via parachute payments, able to invest in infrastructure, with those clubs that yoyo between the top two Tiers. They acquire the potential customers of smaller clubs/businesses and mop up all the available workforce by employing hundreds of more employees than they could once afford.... so the mini-marts will NEVER be able to compete without enormous injection of funds, or without borrowing that will see them go out of business if their gamble fails.

Wimbledon, Northampton, Carlisle, Luton, Oxford, us.... all teams that made it to the promised land on merit before the Premier League began, it won’t happen again.

I firmly believe we will see many L1 & L2 clubs go out of business in the years to come, and both leagues will eventually end up as regional leagues again (Div 3 N & S) and probably part time.

Is this progress? I’d suggest not.

No, it's a prediction from you about something that might happen in the future. 

Edited by HarryBosch

12 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Wimbledon, Northampton, Carlisle, Luton, Oxford, us.... all teams that made it to the promised land on merit before the Premier League began, it won’t happen again.

It happened with Huddersfield very recently.. 

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

No, it's a prediction from you about something that might happen in the future. 

If you remove/ignore the prediction and look at things today, I don’t believe - unless you are one of the big 6/7 - there has been progress.

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

It happened with Huddersfield very recently.. 

...I guess you could argue Burnley too.... but the majority of those clubs gate crashing the greedy league do so from the benevolence of rich benefactors, as opposed to organically.... and as a result, are often unsustainable. See Bolton.

Edited by lookersstandandy

17 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Tesco don't subsidise Jav's Mini Market, why should United subsidise us?

Clubs at our level just need to pay players less. There's always been a monopoly at the top and there always will be. Liverpool won everything when I was a kid just like City are doing now.

The only difference was smaller clubs didn't publicise or bleat about their financial woes the way they do nowadays... 

None of them ultimately went bump then, none of us do now... 

Come on Harry. With respect that is a superficial analysis. “There’s always been a monopoly at the top” - are you seriously saying that the game is no different now to the way it was when clubs like Derby and Forest could win the league and the latter the European Cup? And before you come back with Leicester or Blackburn, both of those great achievements were one/offs with rich owners.

As LSA says, the birth of the “P”L and subsequent swamping of the top tier with Sky money changed the game - for the worse, in my view. At that level, now, it’s a business with a sport attached. Pre-1992, it wasn’t.

5 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Come on Harry. With respect that is a superficial analysis. “There’s always been a monopoly at the top” - are you seriously saying that the game is no different now to the way it was when clubs like Derby and Forest could win the league and the latter the European Cup? And before you come back with Leicester or Blackburn, both of those great achievements were one/offs with rich owners.

It's been a while since we've had an addition to Pawel's Laws.....

1 minute ago, Worcester Owl said:

Ah, the pseudo-intellectual response, always the mark of a guy who’s lost the argument. Back to arse-blowing for you, laddie.

"are you seriously saying that the game is no different now to the way it was when clubs like Derby and Forest could win the league and the latter the European Cup? And before you come back with Leicester or Blackburn  the rules of my game are that you aren't allowed to come back with the actual answers...."

5 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

"are you seriously saying that the game is no different now to the way it was when clubs like Derby and Forest could win the league and the latter the European Cup? And before you come back with Leicester or Blackburn  the rules of my game are that you aren't allowed to come back with the actual answers...."

The rules of your game are that you fabricate expressions such as "Pawel's Laws" in an attempt to make yourself out to be clever.

You're not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

It's been a while since we've had an addition to Pawel's Laws.....

21 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Are you not familiar with Pawel's Law? 

Is it law or laws? 

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

The rules of your game are that you fabricate expressions such as "Pawel's Laws" in an attempt to make yourself out to be clever.

You're not.

TBF to Harry I don't think he coined Pawel's law, I think that was Leeslover. It was ages ago so I may be mistaken. 

On 5/20/2019 at 8:44 PM, HarryBosch said:

....There's always been a monopoly at the top and there always will be.

....The only difference was smaller clubs didn't publicise or bleat about their financial woes the way they do nowadays... 

None of them ultimately went bump then, none of us do now... 

On 5/20/2019 at 8:47 PM, Lee Sinnott said:

Gotta agree with that...

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/premier-league-epl-efl-league-one-two-championship-miguel-delaney-a8926126.html

28 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I might read it all later but have stopped for now at "It is more digitised, less dependent on the physical act of going to a local club" - the Football League has just seen the highest attendances since sometime in the 60's...

There's a lot wrong but there always has been. But I don't ultimately see much, if any difference, to past era's. 

Football, politics, life - we live in a very hysterical time.

12 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Football, politics, life - we live in a very hysterical time.

I can’t argue with that. It’d be nice to get hysterical about Latics achieving something, alas I suspect i’ll be a while longer yet. If it could be when my little boy is just getting into football that would fkin handy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Tranmere promotion has knocked me sick.

Those who are so accepting of mediocrity put on Sky Sports and tell me you’re not jealous.

Who are these people that are “accepting of mediocrity”.   Never spoken to one on here, never met one at a match. 

So did Lincoln and Tranmere both so double promotions, looks like the national league maybe stronger than this tin pot league ! Which is rather worrying if we go down again. 

Predictions for the season, to quote clubber Lang! “Pain” 

42 minutes ago, latics22 said:

So did Lincoln and Tranmere both so double promotions, looks like the national league maybe stronger than this tin pot league ! Which is rather worrying if we go down again. 

Predictions for the season, to quote clubber Lang! “Pain” 

If we go down we never come back. Despite Abdallah’s so called ‘vision’ I presume the real aim is to scale back costs and just stay in the football league as long as possible.

Next season could be the last. We have no core, no leadership and no foundations. 

• Like 2

Tranmere amd Lincolns promotions tell us how important momentum is for a football club. Both got forward traction in the national league and carried it on in league 2. During our league 1 years we saw plenty of clubs get promotion from league 2 and then followed it up with promotion to the championship. 

• Like 1

Just in in case we get Liverpool in the Cup..........

“We’ve conquered all of Europe

on our mates stag do

we’ve travelled all of England

in tangerine and blue

from Hartlepool to Plymouth 

we’ve lost at every one

but we are loyal supporters 

and we come from OL1

allez, allez, allez

allez, allez, allez”

• Like 1