Promotion & Relegation since 1991

We already know that, of the 92 professional football clubs in England, we hold the unenviable record for going the longest period of time [28 years] without winning anything, a cup or a promotion.

Our promotion/relegation record reads 0-3 in that time. I've managed to cobble together everyone else's record - as of today - for comparison. Cardiff and Rotherham have enjoyed 6 [Six] Promotions apiece. Bury, Wigan, Bolton & Blackpool all 5 each. Fook me.

I'm not religious.... but if god exists, he'd better have grand plan for me when I get there for all this suffering.

aLDhcSV.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

We already know that, of the 92 professional football clubs in England, we hold the unenviable record for going the longest period of time [28 years] without winning anything, a cup or a promotion.

Our promotion/relegation record reads 0-3 in that time. I've managed to cobble together everyone else's record - as of today - for comparison. Cardiff and Rotherham have enjoyed 6 [Six] Promotions apiece. Bury, Wigan, Bolton & Blackpool all 5 each. Fook me.

I'm not religious.... but if god exists, he'd better have grand plan for me when I get there for all this suffering.

aLDhcSV.jpg

Top quality work.

Good work Andy

I have a relation who is a Luton fan. Over the last 15 years he has had a rollercoaster of emotions. Promoted to the championship twice, consecutive relegations and promotions, and 5 years as a non league side.

I have not experienced the same despair he has had. I have been mainly on the edge of depression during the same time.

Although he was not happy when Luton were in non league I think I would have preferred his emotions/experience to mine.

However, if he was a Stockport fan I would be happy with what I have got, but another Stockport promotion I might change my mind.

I think you might find a long queue of Latics fans at the pearly gates. Or is this already purgatory?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Confirms my recent assertion on another thread that Villa and Leeds are pound for pound football's shittest two clubs....

You have a point, however Leeds have won a 1st Tier title and Aston Villa 2 League Cups during the same period....

Interesting but I think there may be a flaw in the data. I presume the records only go down to Conference level because Darlington, for example were promoted in 2013, 2015 and 2016 yet this shows them as not being promoted. 

What at is the criteria used for being on the list? Most Premier League clubs aren’t there but some are and we include some clubs from outside the league but not all down to a specific level.

It it would be interesting to see cup wins too and date of last ‘success’. I think that barring us and Ipswich there is nobody who has waited more than a decade for something positive but that might be outdated.

I am am not criticising what is an interesting data set, just trying to understand it.

Edited by Latics and England

51 minutes ago, Latics and England said:

1.  I presume the records only go down to Conference level because Darlington, for example were promoted in 2013, 2015 and 2016 yet this shows them as not being promoted. 

2. What at is the criteria used for being on the list? Most Premier League clubs aren’t there but some are and we include some clubs from outside the league but not all down to a specific level.

3. It it would be interesting to see cup wins too and date of last ‘success’. I think that barring us and Ipswich there is nobody who has waited more than a decade for something positive but that might be outdated.

Some people are never happy are they? :lol:

1. You presume correctly, Tier label is across the top. I can't be arsed checking out who won the Beazer Homes division 4 in 1993.

2. The title of thread should tell you, clubs that have been Promoted or Relegated. I'm not interested in comparing us to Manure, Chelski, Arse, Spursy, Liverpyool et al.... I nearly removed Citeh, other than it's good to remind ourselves they were sh1t and our bunnies once.

3. Cups & Greedy League champs added, you can bugger off with year.

fyyicWA.jpg

Edited by lookersstandandy
  • Like 1

Good work that. There are many that were content that we were not getting relegated from league one and were adament that yo yo ing was no better than the constant shit of 16th. I couldn’t disagree more. Even this season we were in it until the last two weeks. When was the last time that happened?

Get the club into a stable place off the pitch and we will get out of this league and we won’t look negatively on our relegation in the grand scheme. It might go tits up but that won’t be because of our relegation to league two. 

SC fooled so many in to thinking that he was doing a good job in keeping us in league one and that league two was to be feared. Utter bull shit 

I would rather have had bury, tranmere and Rochdale’s hand over the last 20 years. With Luton, tranmere and Leyton O back up there are few ‘well at least we aren’t...’ teams left

Edited by Andy b
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy b said:

Good work that. There are many that were content that we were not getting relegated from league one and were adament that yo yo ing was no better than the constant shit of 16th. I couldn’t disagree more. Even this season we were in it until the last two weeks. When was the last time that happened?

Get the club into a stable place off the pitch and we will get out of this league and we won’t look negatively on our relegation in the grand scheme. It might go tits up but that won’t be because of our relegation to league two. 

SC fooled so many in to thinking that he was doing a good job in keeping us in league one and that league two was to be feared. Utter bull shit 

I would rather have had bury, tranmere and Rochdale’s hand over the last 20 years. With Luton, tranmere and Leyton O back up there are few ‘well at least we aren’t...’ teams left

I doubt anyone was adamant that yo-yoing was no better than finishing 16th every season.  But the fact is, if you go down there's absolutely no guarantee we'll come back up. 

Next season we're going to be well and truly ingrained in this woeful division with loads of other also-rans, who will be in a more "stable place" than we are now.  I'm excited about a time we can not look negatively on this relegation (and maybe the other two that went before it..) but at the moment that seems ridiculously far away..

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I doubt anyone was adamant that yo-yoing was no better than finishing 16th every season.  But the fact is, if you go down there's absolutely no guarantee we'll come back up. 

Next season we're going to be well and truly ingrained in this woeful division with loads of other also-rans, who will be in a more "stable place" than we are now.  I'm excited about a time we can not look negatively on this relegation (and maybe the other two that went before it..) but at the moment that seems ridiculously far away..

But we have a damn sight better chance of getting out of league 2 than we had of getting out of league 1. Shortern the odds and it’s more likely to happen my friend. Doesn’t guarantee it but it’s a hell

of a lot more likely. We can compete.

In any case being ingrained in this division is no worse than being ingrained in league one as far as I can see. Not that I think that will happen.

We are at the right level for the size of this club. Am afraid that after about 2006, we were well and truely out of our depth in league one in all senses.

6 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Some people are never happy are they? :lol:

1. You presume correctly, Tier label is across the top. I can't be arsed checking out who won the Beazer Homes division 4 in 1993.

It’s a trick question....there was no 4th Division only Premier and 2 x second (N & S)....the good news is in 1993 Athletic won the Premier division.........Dover Athletic that is 😀

Seriously though, it’s quite interesting looking at older non league tables, 2-3 years after you mentioned, Newport County and FGR both win promotion from the N&$ divisions respectively at a time when we were barely out of the Premier League....how times have changed

6 minutes ago, Andy b said:

But we have a damn sight better chance of getting out of league 2 than we had of getting out of league 1. Shortern the odds and it’s more likely to happen my friend. Doesn’t guarantee it but it’s a hell

of a lot more likely. We can compete.

In any case being ingrained in this division is no worse than being ingrained in league one as far as I can see. Not that I think that will happen.

We are at the right level for the size of this club. Am afraid that after about 2006, we were well and truely out of our depth in league one in all senses.

No worse in this division?  We've lost out on extra revenue from bigger away followings, higher funds from the EFL and we would be a step further away from the football league trap door.  Plus we'd be more attractive to potential investors in the division above (which really says something about how attractive we must be now!).

Our best chance of getting out of this division quickly has just gone - we had some good players who will probably be on their way and replaced by hopeless individuals that no one else in the entire league wants and more of AL's clients..

Stuff the fact we are at the right level for the size of the club - we should be aiming to be as high up the ladder as possible.  We're a football club - relegation is the worst thing that can happen to club in a season.  Give me 16th in League One and rebuild from there, rather than where we are now.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, JoeP said:

No worse in this division?  We've lost out on extra revenue from bigger away followings, higher funds from the EFL and we would be a step further away from the football league trap door.  Plus we'd be more attractive to potential investors in the division above (which really says something about how attractive we must be now!).

Our best chance of getting out of this division quickly has just gone - we had some good players who will probably be on their way and replaced by hopeless individuals that no one else in the entire league wants and more of AL's clients..

Stuff the fact we are at the right level for the size of the club - we should be aiming to be as high up the ladder as possible.  We're a football club - relegation is the worst thing that can happen to club in a season.  Give me 16th in League One and rebuild from there, rather than where we are now.

We can compete and have a better chance of success on the pitch in this division. That’s a fact.

I like to see wins. Don’t really care what division we are in right now. I am sure I will in the future but after the last 25 years I just want to see some sort of success on the pitch. Whether that’s league 1 or conference doesn’t bother me at this moment in time. Maybe that’s the difference in our respective outlooks.

Edited by Andy b

42 minutes ago, Andy b said:

We can compete and have a better chance of success on the pitch in this division. That’s a fact.

I like to see wins. Don’t really care what division we are in right now. I am sure I will in the future but after the last 25 years I just want to see some sort of success on the pitch. Whether that’s league 1 or conference doesn’t bother me at this moment in time. Maybe that’s the difference in our respective outlooks.

Barry Owen appears to have hacked your account

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Andy b said:

Sorry Andy you seem to be settling for mediocracy

Give him a break.... what he’s saying is we’ve got to bottom out to start rebuilding. Blitz, Gazal & Corney are to blame for making us uncompetitive in the 3rd tier. If it means rebuilding from the 4th so be it. What we must have however, is a Plan from our owner that we can all unite behind, otherwise we’re all pulling in different directions. This is where the Trust must get firmer. No more passive behaviour. Tell the owner what we want/expect... and let him convince us otherwise if he disagrees.

• Like 1

Not having we’re a 4th tier sized club. Our (home) crowds might be poor after years of mismanagement by our various different owners but Oldham Athletic are so much bigger than this joke of a league, facts.

• Like 3

Give him a break.... what he’s saying is we’ve got to bottom out to start rebuilding. Blitz, Gazal & Corney are to blame for making us uncompetitive in the 3rd tier. If it means rebuilding from the 4th so be it. What we must have however, is a Plan from our owner that we can all unite behind, otherwise we’re all pulling in different directions. This is where the Trust must get firmer. No more passive behaviour. Tell the owner what we want/expect... and let him convince us otherwise if he disagrees.

So you'd have no issue if we got relegated again? How about again after that? If it means rebuilding from the 6th tier so be it...?

As long as the owner says words you like the sound of?

This rhetoric has been spouted out after each relegation we've had and where has it got us in the long-term?  Just another relegation.

The "I don't mind getting relegated" take seems to almost be a protest against Corney, because survival in League One is what's perceived he saw as an achievement.

If that's what the Trust are going to go to AL with as a suggestion, it's not something I can support.  AL would go away and piss himself laughing.

Balls to getting relegated and rebuilding - rebuild now.  The further down we go, the harder it will be to find investors because there'll be more and more attractive propositions above us.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, JoeP said:

This rhetoric has been spouted out after each relegation we've had and where has it got us in the long-term?  Just another relegation.

The "I don't mind getting relegated" take seems to almost be a protest against Corney, because survival in League One is what's perceived he saw as an achievement.

If that's what the Trust are going to go to AL with as a suggestion, it's not something I can support.  AL would go away and piss himself laughing.

Balls to getting relegated and rebuilding - rebuild now.  The further down we go, the harder it will be to find investors because there'll be more and more attractive propositions above us.

Stand by my position chaps/ladies.

What the trust wants from the club is the six expectations set out in our letter issued in March. Achieve that and we will be content that the club is being well run. That is the focus, not league positioning. 

It’s not the trust’s job to set ambitions for the club and success on the pitch. It’s the trust’s job to do what it can to ensure the club is run properly and viably, with fans listened to and to create the conditions whereby the club can feasibly achieve something. If the trust were able to effect positive change in that regard, it would be doing its job very well and the club would be far better set up for sucess. 

That’s my focus. League position is a symptom of where the club is at. The trust doesn’t have specific ambitions to change that league position but to change the conditions which have created it.

My personal perspective on football as a fan is that want to see my team compete and be in with a chance. Many teams get releagated and it galvanises them. Do I want relegation? No. Do I fear it? Not really.

However, very clearly if we dropped from league two to the conference that would indicate some major issues within the club. To that end, the trust (and me) are trying to take steps to make sure that that doesn’t happen (ie a focus on a well run club). 

Its the off field stuff rather than the on field stuff which is our focus and rest assured i am on the same page as you all there.

No one is advocating relegation to the conference. I agree that would be a step too far. There was a case for relegation to league two being no bad thing in the grand scheme of things though. It won’t kill the club. 

Edited by Andy b
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Andy b said:

No one is advocating relegation to the conference. I agree that would be a step too far. There was a case for relegation to league two being no bad thing in the grand scheme of things though. It won’t kill the club. 

Really struggling with that. Relegation is always, unequivocally, a bad thing. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1