Squad movements, summer 2019

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only positive crumbs I take from this:

- we've kept Missilou (for now)

- we've binned Taylor and Vera

- it sounds like we're negotiating with Maouche to bring his wages down (otherwise we'd just take up the option)

4 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

A few mentioning what’s happened at the awards but not responding when pushed on it ? Can anyone please shed some light ? 

He was pissed and very open with people about AL and all the French lads bar Missilou (who he said was alright).

Rumour that he went for AL at some point but nobody  has confirmed that they saw that personally, me included. 

23 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

Has Clarke been released or decided not to stay?

I thought he didn't want to stay in the current circumstances. 

I don't claim to be in the know about it but it's so weird for us not to offer him a contract after his performances, his professionalism and his awards. Even AL must have seen fit to offer him one.

Gutted to lose Baxter and Gardner as well. Any truth in what happened at the awards? He's very pally with Davies, Byrne and Gerrard, so no shock if it's anything to do with his relationship with AL.

Our squad is very poor as it stands currently. 

Currently, I'm struggling to worry about who will be playing for us next season or who the next manager is.  Clearly it's not going to be good but there are more fundamental concerns about the future of the club.

However, I'm not really sure how anyone can feel 'gutted' at Baxter and Gardner departing, given what they've contributed.

Just now, Stevie_J said:

Currently, I'm struggling to worry about who will be playing for us next season or who the next manager is.  Clearly it's not going to be good but there are more fundamental concerns about the future of the club.

However, I'm not really sure how anyone can feel 'gutted' at Baxter and Gardner departing, given what they've contributed.

I think with Baxter it’s we know how good he CAN be and he seems a good lad imo. I also think at times  he’s shown glimpses of his old self too. I wish him well. Gardner can fuck off to non league for me. 

Not too bothered about who we’re letting go. You can make a fair argument for keeping and releasing Baxter and Clarke. Baxter’s just not been as good as we were hoping, and has suffered from fitness and injury problems too. Clarke is getting on and is only going to get worse. Although as a leader and a character to have at the club he’s inspirational. 

O’Grady I can only assume has triggered a clause due to games played, but frankly he’s not good enough. Coke, no explanation needed there. Benteke, the same. De La Paz we’re talking to, but no idea why, he’s not forced himself into the team in two years, we’d be better off promoting a youngster to the back up goalkeeper role.

If we can get Maouche on a reasonable wage then he’s good enough for this squad. Nepo I really hope signs.

Going forward I’m more worried about who we’re going to sign in the summer and who is signing them.

On This Day in 1993, Oldham Athletic beat Southampton 4-3 at Boundary Park to secure a place in the Premier League for the 1993/94 season. Who would have thought 25 years later we’d be in this mess. It’s like AL I’d doing his best to drive us all away!

32 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

He was pissed and very open with people about AL and all the French lads bar Missilou (who he said was alright).

Rumour that he went for AL at some point but nobody  has confirmed that they saw that personally, me included. 

Pissed and mouthing off? Surely not. He comes across so eloquently.  I won’t miss him one bit. 

On 5/2/2019 at 11:29 AM, Crusoe said:

Every year I think I'll give this thread a miss, yet here I am again.

Confirmed

George Edmundson (2020)

Tom Hamer (2020)

Rob Hunt (2020)

Sonhy Sefil (2020)

Jamie Stott (2020 plus option)

Javid Swaby-Neavin (probably 2020 plus option)

Johan Branger-Engone (2020)

Giles Coke (2020)

Christopher Missilou (2020)

Harry Robinson (2020 plus option)

Mohamad Sylla (2020)

Chris O'Grady (2019, but club says he's in contract)

In negotiations

13. Zeus de la Paz (2019)

14. Jonathan Benteke (2019)

27. Gevaro Nepomuceno (2019)

28. Mohamed Maouche (2019 plus option)

Released or leaving

Jose Baxter, Peter Clarke, Dan Gardner, Jay Sheridan, Andy Taylor, Chinedu Uche, Urko Vera - released

Ousmane Fane - seems to have left earlier in the season, not officially announced

Oladapo Afolayan, Zak Dearnley, Alex Iacovitti, Daniel Iversen, Callum Lang - end of loan

Samuel Amankwaa, Declan Baldwin, Ewan McFarlane, Max Norman, Harry Norris, Ryan Scholes-Beard, Kelfala Sheriff - second year scholars, presumably released

Notes

Robinson contract length was announced on the Irish FA website; Swaby-Neavin presumably got the same

It's a very light squad isn't it. I expect we will go big on frnech lads or the loan market.
We've only got about 6 first teamers, and La Paz who might be promoted.

Just now, latics22 said:

On This Day in 1993, Oldham Athletic beat Southampton 4-3 at Boundary Park to secure a place in the Premier League for the 1993/94 season. Who would have thought 25 years later we’d be in this mess. It’s like AL I’d doing his best to drive us all away!

Just the latest in a long line of bad owners... every single one since (and before) we were promoted have been lacking. 

44 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Are the rest of the #FrenchLads knobheads? I thought the general consensus was that team spirit had been good this season and the foreign players had integrated well?

On 5/14/2019 at 9:10 AM, Hands on said:

Peter (C) was asked to take over when Paul (S) threw in the towel.  When unsurprisingly he declined Marco (AL) said something like do it or no contract next year.

Clarke was never staying and he held that squad together, honestly think we will struggle next season without him as captain.

Who signed who:

2018/19 Apperances indicated that this is the core of our squad. Worry is that midfield that was easily overrun, as well as all the other positions! No psine to that team.

Archived