Pre Season 2019

43 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

The thing I most object to about modern football is the fact that wingers no longer cross the ball. I used to love watching a winger and full back overlap, get to the bye line and whip a cross in for a striker/forward to attack, be that the "big lad" heading in, or someone else ghosting in. Its partly what defined us. Wright, Holden, Adams, Eyres, Liddell. You just don't see it anymore do you? It got you out of your seat. 15 passes between the back 4 most certainly doesn't.

I kept hearing Eden Hazard decribed as a winger.  No, he's not.

42 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

The thing I most object to about modern football is the fact that wingers no longer cross the ball. I used to love watching a winger and full back overlap, get to the bye line and whip a cross in for a striker/forward to attack, be that the "big lad" heading in, or someone else ghosting in. Its partly what defined us. Wright, Holden, Adams, Eyres, Liddell. You just don't see it anymore do you? It got you out of your seat. 15 passes between the back 4 most certainly doesn't.

Go look at the Liverpool team of last season or the Man City team they both got plenty of crosses in but it was often the full backs that would provide the crosses and the wingers the likes of Sterling Mane or Salah who would arrive for a tap in at the back post.

12 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Top scouting

It's called observation,  you might be among those when the season starts who will be shouting at him in frustration to go forward.

Unless of course you prefer backwards and sideways football?

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

It's called observation,  you might be among those when the season starts who will be shouting at him in frustration to go forward.

Unless of course you prefer backwards and sideways football?

BP you should know better than most on here first game of pre season is nothing more than a leg stretch. Especially in the heat they played in. When we get back that’s when the ‘observations’ should start kicking in. 

Surely, if there's one thing that watching football for many years has taught us it's this; pre-season friendlies give no indication whatsoever of the season to come. 

It's merely "easing back into it" (particularly this early!).

You don't need to be a manager, scout, coach, genius (or "pre" any of those) to know that we need a quality centre back (maybe 2), someone who can score regularly and a couple of quality midfielders to stand any chance of seriously competing this season. Not difficult really.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

BP you should know better than most on here first game of pre season is nothing more than a leg stretch. Especially in the heat they played in. When we get back that’s when the ‘observations’ should start kicking in. 

I can tell traits straight away, just you watch.

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I can tell traits straight away, just you watch.

We will see. Don’t agree, nothing should be looked at from the first game especially technically. 

Edited by adamoafc
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I kept hearing Eden Hazard decribed as a winger.  No, he's not.

Exactly. The game generally is so narrow now.... because it’s defensively more secure. I’d rather try to win 3-2 & accept I’ll lose some 2-3, than always set up trying for a 1-0.

3 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Presumably an Oldham XI as we are playing Rochdale on Saturday at 3pm aren’t we? 

Yeah it will be the youth, who are playing a few senior sides in pre-season. They already got a creditable 1-1 draw with founder members of the newly formed Welsh second tier Buckley Town.

44 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Tomorrow Night 16th of July at Glossop

Glossop north end vs Oldham Athletic (I assume its a youth team Xl)

KO 7pm

Price is £5 entry

Anyone going?

Pick season tickets up - mixed grill at Wetherspoons  -  match at Glossop  -  back in time to drop car off and a few pints  -  nice round trip !

1 hour ago, Andy-latic said:

Surely we’re about 7/8 players short still?

Yeah we need at least one first team player for each position except Keeper. Maybe just one winger if he is going to be using Robinson to challenge Nepo and The Johan.

Have we ever been so close to a season with this little optimism, the squad is currently at his poorest ever and we lack quality throughout..

It’s as if we are all just going through the motions and cant be arsed if the next season starts or not..

Never felt as down being an Oldham supporter of 36 years but i can only see it getting worse once AL picks his first 11 for the opener at fgr..

• Like 3

9 hours ago, fleetwood Blue said:

Have we ever been so close to a season with this little optimism, the squad is currently at his poorest ever and we lack quality throughout..

It’s as if we are all just going through the motions and cant be arsed if the next season starts or not..

Never felt as down being an Oldham supporter of 36 years but i can only see it getting worse once AL picks his first 11 for the opener at fgr..

They say it's the hope that get's you. What gets you when that's gone?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fleetwood Blue said:

Have we ever been so close to a season with this little optimism 

I would say three weeks before the Ernie Cooksey season and three weeks before the Steve Robinson season were far worse squads. Optimism, l find, is a personal thing, with scarification from those times affecting thought processes now. I think it is more your stomach for the fight which is low and this is a cumulative factor l have seen in a few fans this summer, which is sad.

Being naturally overly optimistic (which somehow translates as not having a nice word to say about anybody to a few of the weapons on here, not sure how that happens but that’s another story!!) l have a reasonable amount of [quite possibly misplaced] confidence that most of the first team are settled now and if we can start right then we can fly.

Flipside being that there is a large group of fans hoping we start badly so that they can instantly come wading in at the first mistake and recreate cewe away type poisonous atmospheres.

I think l’m more aprehensive at that prospect than l am about anything else.

• Like 1