Laurent Banide

11 hours ago, latics22 said:

Youre on fire today bp😂

I was just imagining after Brexit ALs imports having to take soccer skills tests at Dover before being allowed in. 

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 2

I have kept quiet since Banide was appointed as to be quite honest I didn’t really have much to say.

It was exactly what I expected. Somebody we have never heard of who had coached in some capacity before but would have no links to the English game. This is exactly what we have got.

Is it a risk? Yes, a tremendous one. However, any managerial appointment is a risk. Penney came to Oldham on the back of a decent managerial record, was dross. We hired rookies left, right and centre yet Dowie (albeit with a load of cash) and Johnson were seemingly pretty decent so this is a risk just like any other previous managers we have had to date.

English players signing? I’d guess probably not, in fact, I’d be quite confident that we will not be signing any.

AL has chosen to go down this route, so let’s see what happens. Sadly, I see it ending virtually as soon as it begins, sacked in October and left scratching around, using our bingo ball machine for the next poor sod to take on the challenge of being the custodian of Oldham Athletic for the 3 months following.

When he announced his vision/plan, I was willing to see whether actions speak as loud as his words do. I am still am but an appointment of a 51 year old on a one year deal doesn’t seem to enthral me sadly.

I am, like with anybody, willing to give Banide the chance to prove my initial theory wrong and I would love nothing more than going into October/November bouncing our way to Scunthorpe in droves following a tremendous start to the season, sadly I don’t think that will be the case.

Edited by unsworthlatic
Mispelling
  • Like 6

46 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Despite everything I'd be very surprised if we didn't sign any English players.. 

I forget the regs, but we have to have some in the sqaud don't we. 

I agree though, we'll ll have to have some, purely on saving hotel costs. 

I guess the million dollar question is which will be the majority. 

1 hour ago, unsworthlatic said:

I have kept quiet since Banide was appointed as to be quite honest I didn’t really have much to say.

It was exactly what I expected. Somebody we have never heard of who had coached in some capacity before but would have no links to the English game. This is exactly what we have got.

Is it a risk? Yes, a tremendous one. However, any managerial appointment is a risk. Penney came to Oldham on the back of a decent managerial record, was dross. We hired rookies left, right and centre yet Dowie (albeit with a load of cash) and Johnson were seemingly pretty decent so this is a risk just like any other previous managers we have had to date.

English players signing? I’d guess probably not, in fact, I’d be quite confident that we will not be signing any.

AL has chosen to go down this root, so let’s see what happens. Sadly, I see it ending virtually as soon as it begins, sacked in October and left scratching around, using our bingo ball machine for the next poor sod to take on the challenge of being the custodian of Oldham Athletic for the 3 months following.

When he announced his vision/plan, I was willing to see whether actions speak as loud as his words do. I am still am but an appointment of a 51 year old on a one year deal doesn’t seem to enthral me sadly.

I am, like with anybody, willing to give Banide the chance to prove my initial theory wrong and I would love nothing more than going into October/November bouncing our way to Scunthorpe in droves following a tremendous start to the season, sadly I don’t think that will be the case.

Maybe we will be the Arsenal of the 2nd division?

Then again maybe not.

21 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Despite everything I'd be very surprised if we didn't sign any English players.. 

20 hours ago, singe said:

I forget the regs, but we have to have some in the sqaud don't we. 

I agree though, we'll ll have to have some, purely on saving hotel costs. 

I guess the million dollar question is which will be the majority. 

33.8 Home Grown Players. Each Club shall be required to nominate a minimum of seven Home Grown Players on their Team Sheet of Players for all League Competition Matches (including Play Off Matches).

33.9 ‘Home Grown Player’ shall mean a Player who irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with:-

33.9.1 his current Club; and/or

33.9.2 a Club and/or any other football club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales, for a period, continuous or not of three Seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the Season during which he turns 21). For the purposes of this definition of Home Grown Player only, a Season will be deemed to commence on the date on which the Summer Transfer Window in that Season closes (including the Extended Period) and expire on the date of the final League Match of the Season.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-5--fixtures/

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

33.8 Home Grown Players. Each Club shall be required to nominate a minimum of seven Home Grown Players on their Team Sheet of Players for all League Competition Matches (including Play Off Matches).

33.9 ‘Home Grown Player’ shall mean a Player who irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with:-

33.9.2 a Club and/or any other football club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales, for a period, continuous or not of three Seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the Season during which he turns 21). For the purposes of this definition of Home Grown Player only, a Season will be deemed to commence on the date on which the Summer Transfer Window in that Season closes (including the Extended Period) and expire on the date of the final League Match of the Season.

https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-5--fixtures/

That excludes all the current foreign players we have then, let alone new signings. That would blow AL's plans out of the window. 

On 6/12/2019 at 1:22 PM, dannyboy55555 said:

Giles Coke, Chris O'Grady, Ishmael Miller, Andy Taylor - all Bunn/Rhodes signings no?

Do you really believe that a two well respected coaches with a good knowledge and connection throughout the premier league academy network would have chosen to drag players out of retirement had they been given the budget ????

On 6/12/2019 at 5:23 PM, HarryBosch said:

I imagine it would be nice to be just a few Dirhams and Dinars behind him....

Maybe he's really good and just likes the lifestyle and money out there? 

That maybe so,  but them that raises two questions,

1. If he enjoys the lifestyle so much , why has he swapped guaranteed sunshine to manage at ice station zebra .

2. Successful (“ really good”) coaches tend to be retained by clubs, so there is a reason as to why he’s has 15 clubs in as many years .

could it me he’s not.very good 

Homegrown does not mean English.  In another few years it might mean British.  However the qualification still allows us to have 66% who are not homegrown so not a problem for Marco (grown very mush abroad in style and honesty) and Mo ( don't know anything about him).

Looking forward to see the accounts at the ned of June!

5 hours ago, LaticMark said:

That's the 7on the bench taken care of.

20 hours ago, Jack_The_Lad said:

That maybe so,  but them that raises two questions,

1. If he enjoys the lifestyle so much , why has he swapped guaranteed sunshine to manage at ice station zebra .

2. Successful (“ really good”) coaches tend to be retained by clubs, so there is a reason as to why he’s has 15 clubs in as many years .

could it me he’s not.very good 

It could be, yes. 

We may or may not find out soon..