Laurent Banide

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Plenty of managers who struggle with the language still get results. 

As as with any manager, that’s what I’ll judge him on. Not his ability to say bouncebackability in a northern accent. 

There's 92 managers, turnover is high. Almost half of them get sacked. 

So out of 100, how many managers struggle with the language?

And more pertinently, how many League 2 managers struggle?

And even more pertinently, how many managers who have got their team to a play off in L2 ?

Currently only 3 non UK. Cioffi at Crawley, Maarmria at Sevenage and Banide.

Cioffi struggled in the fans forum in Nov 2018 that I saw on YouTube.

Dino Mararmia had no problem, speaks better than many English having been here  over 20 years.

Time will tell, but initially hopes do not feel high.

Edited by singe

11 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

With regards to the language barrier, Mauricio Pochettino spoke no English and required a translator in interviews when he first arrived at Southampton. It's clearly not posed a problem to him in becoming a success.

Well he can speak English judging from the very brief interview on the official site. So he's got one up on him and Bielsa who needed an interpreter all season. Thing is though Pocchetino and Bielsa can claim to be coaching genius's.

I mean I hope he Claudio Ranieris the fuck out of this season but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

With regards to the language barrier, Mauricio Pochettino spoke no English and required a translator in interviews when he first arrived at Southampton. It's clearly not posed a problem to him in becoming a success.

Didn't he speak conversational English, and used a translator because he didn't want his words manipulated by the press?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Oh Heck C-Beck said:

I'd be amazed he speaks no English at all if he has been managing in the Middle East for a while. 

What a bizarre supposition. Do English speakers get deprogrammed when they go through UAE passport control? 

• Like 1

Sadly there's a lot of members on here that are almost hoping that our new manager fails so they can give it he big "I told you so"

My personal preference would be to have all the playing staff and management team to have been born in the North West of England, the English equivalent of

Athletic Bilbao, who have an unwritten rule to only recruit staff from the Basque Region of Spain  

Not having saved enough money up yet to buy the Club, I'm going to have to hope someone else can at the very least get us back to being half decent both on and off the pitch

Good luck to Mr Laurent Banide and Mr Bouziane Benarabi

Hopefully you can build a strong team ethic we can be proud of, play attractive attacking football and our fans will come back in numbers

:chubb:

• Like 7

1 hour ago, tGWB said:

Sadly there's a lot of members on here that are almost hoping that our new manager fails so they can give it he big "I told you so"

My personal preference would be to have all the playing staff and management team to have been born in the North West of England, the English equivalent of

Athletic Bilbao, who have an unwritten rule to only recruit staff from the Basque Region of Spain  

Not having saved enough money up yet to buy the Club, I'm going to have to hope someone else can at the very least get us back to being half decent both on and off the pitch

Good luck to Mr Laurent Banide and Mr Bouziane Benarabi

Hopefully you can build a strong team ethic we can be proud of, play attractive attacking football and our fans will come back in numbers

:chubb:

That's ridiculous, why would any supporter of oldham athletic want the manager to fail, fuck knows there has been enough shite over the last 20 or so years, I'm sure even the biggest critics would welcome success. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, disjointed said:

That's ridiculous, why would any supporter of oldham athletic want the manager to fail, fuck knows there has been enough shite over the last 20 or so years, I'm sure even the biggest critics would welcome success. 

Sadly he's right. 

We do have a lot of fans who adopt a stance and would then rather be proven "right" to the detriment of the club than give credit where it's due if they're proven wrong. 

They're a psychologists dream I'd imagine.... 

A lot of them also wrongly use the word "fickle" to describe those of us who just try to call it as we see it - i.e. praise us when we're good, slate us when we're shit - rather than adopt an agenda that must not be deviated from.... 

Edited by HarryBosch
  • Like 12

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Sadly he's right. 

We do have a lot of fans who adopt a stance and would then rather be proven "right" to the detriment of the club than give credit where it's due if they're proven wrong. 

A lot of them also wrongly use the word "fickle" to describe those of us who just try to call it as we see it - i.e. praise us when we're good, slate us when we're shit - rather than adopt an agenda that must not be deviated from.... 

Succinctly put, sir! 

4 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Sadly he's right. 

I don't think there's a single Latics fan who "wants" Banide (or any other OAFC manager) to fail.

People may well be pissed off with the endless shite we've endured year on year, now culminating with this berk running us like a shitshow and turning us into some 2nd rate European football talent school - and rightly so - but I still don't think a single fan will be 'willing' a manager to fail at Oldham. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

I don't think there's a single Latics fan who "wants" Banide (or any other OAFC manager) to fail.

People may well be pissed off with the endless shite we've endured year on year, now culminating with this berk running us like a shitshow and turning us into some 2nd rate European football talent school - and rightly so - but I still don't think a single fan will be 'willing' a manager to fail at Oldham. 

I'm not so sure I agree with you on this one, but I suppose it's how you define a "fan".

Some on here only post when bad things happen, and revel in them.

Then again I suppose I'm a "happy clapper" not a "fold the club" brigade.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Hope he smashes it and that Abdallah has uncovered the secrets on how to get out of this rancid league and the french recruitment strategy will work wonders. I hope it works but I think you would be a fool if you think this is going to be a definite success.

Yes you would. Good job nobody thinks anything even close to that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Would have been decent if the interviewer actually thought about what he was going to ask. Just watched it again, think Banide did well to even make sense of the questions. 

That guy doing the interviews these days is hopeless, not a patch on Sam.

• Like 2