Alan Groves

Also living in Worcester now and from what I can gather the RU, basketball and Hockey teams are well funded and are on the rise. Where as the football team has been fighting with the council for land to build a stadium on since the last ground was demolished for housing (don't know why without digging into it, so they may never have owned it)

Around the time Lee Hughes (the same) was there manager they got in financial issues and had no ground so they elected to be relegated down further in the leagues to avoid alot more financial fines etc.

So not too dissimilar to other football teams where it's not the go to sporting event for that town/area.

At least that's the story from fans I know at work and also throw into it the lower league clubs like Kidderminster etc they are also competing with.

On 6/21/2019 at 7:39 PM, wiseowl said:

I remember Stainrod at Wrexham doing one of the most mesmerising runs/dribbles you could witness. Turned several defenders inside out (two fell over trying to tackle him) and then stormed into the box. He pointed to where he was going to blast the ball into the net.............. and the keeper saved it. Had it gone in it would have gone down as possibly the best goal I`ve witnessed by a Latics player. Superb stuff to watch.

Stainrod at Blackburn was brilliant, even better because I think it was his debut and given our terrible record there before that game

8 minutes ago, petera1 said:

Stainrod at Blackburn was brilliant, even better because I think it was his debut and given our terrible record there before that game

Stainrod was like a ballet dancer, great balance and flowing movement.

The Nureyev of football.

Groves was similar.

Edited by BP1960

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The Nureyev of football.

Groves was similar.

Steady on there BP1960...

The other elegant player I remember is Roger Wylde - stylish footballer.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

The Nureyev of football.

Groves was similar.

... but also hard as nails - he was cock of his school !

• 3 years later...
7 hours ago, David G said:

Just browsing, looking at Alan Groves articles across the interweb thingy. A number of references here to his afro, does anyone know if he actually had any black heritage or just a very good perm?

No black heritage needed to have an afro type perm in the 70's as I can confidently vouch from experience!  

7 hours ago, David G said:

Just browsing, looking at Alan Groves articles across the interweb thingy. A number of references here to his afro, does anyone know if he actually had any black heritage or just a very good perm?

A little black heritage I would say.

8 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

A little black heritage I would say.

Who can say but then again, did the guy from Boney M and he had a cracking perm? Carl Valentine, yes

We were very lucky to be around, I'd of hated to miss those brilliant times,

They'll never be forgotten.

42 minutes ago, TangerineDream said:

No black heritage needed to have an afro type perm in the 70's as I can confidently vouch from experience!  

seconded my sister who has no black heritage had a huge afro around that time it was fashion 

2 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

Am I missing something? Even without the afro, it's clear that Groves was mixed-race.

I would say he was but I haven't been able to find anything regarding his family origins. I knew his wife as she was at school with me and she was a very attractive and popular girl who looked much older than her age. Saw Grovesy with her more than a few times.

10 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Can't say I have ever given it a moment's thought, even though he lived in the house backing onto mine

Met him once and had  a meal with him, contrary to his exuberance on field  he was a really quiet and shy guy off it.

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Met him once and had  a meal with him, contrary to his exuberance on field  he was a really quiet and shy guy off it.

He was a good neighbour although I still can't believe he didn't see my keepy uppies in the garden and get me signed up....

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Just out of curiosity for any Oldham fans that can remember that far back. Was there any uproar when he was 28 years of age and he married his 16 year old girlfriend? Can't imagine he'd get away with that these days...

There certainly was Lee, I think his missus had to leave school 9 days before she was officially allowed, by her DOB she should have had to have done another school term or year... (think thats right). 

Was plastered all over the newspapers at the time - scandalous in the day