Carabao Cup 2019/20

48 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Will we drop the new golden boy tho 

im guessing until the 6'3 CB is fully match fit its going to be Sefil and Wheater... Sefils reading of the game  is not great but he wasnt solely responsible for blackburns goals. They went direct on us in the 2nd half and if you watch the Highlights they targeted Alex Lavotti on more than one ocassion, im guessing due to height.. 

The whole team can certainly hold their heads up high on tuesday night , they did us all proud with that performance and if we take that performance into our league games we really have nothing to worry about ... just need to tighten up at the back going forward we looked good, alot of pace and energy.. alot of positives to take forward and i guess the longer the team are together and being coached well hopefully a promising season ahead...

22 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

im guessing until the 6'3 CB is fully match fit its going to be Sefil and Wheater... Sefils reading of the game  is not great but he wasnt solely responsible for blackburns goals. They went direct on us in the 2nd half and if you watch the Highlights they targeted Alex Lavotti on more than one ocassion, im guessing due to height.. 

The whole team can certainly hold their heads up high on tuesday night , they did us all proud with that performance and if we take that performance into our league games we really have nothing to worry about ... just need to tighten up at the back going forward we looked good, alot of pace and energy.. alot of positives to take forward and i guess the longer the team are together and being coached well hopefully a promising season ahead...

Lavotti 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

Actually thought Ivacotti had a better game than Sefil. Prefer him at centre-back to full back and would play him and Wheater in the interim.

We’re also lacking a big striker who can hold the ball up (so not Vera..). Dare I say it - come back Chris O’Grady..

Can’t decide if Tuesday was a good performance or not. It was 110% effort all round (generally) against a good Blackburn team - reserves or otherwise Bradley Dak and Stuart Downing are Championship players. That said, we lacked a lot of quality and I think even having an O’Grady type - and definitely Peter Clarke - would have seen us over the line. We also did ride our luck during the 90 minutes and, again, created little going forward.

There’s cause for cautious optimism, but still a hell of a lot of work to do..

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Actually thought Ivacotti had a better game than Sefil. Prefer him at centre-back to full back and would play him and Wheater in the interim.

We’re also lacking a big striker who can hold the ball up (so not Vera..). Dare I say it - come back Chris O’Grady..

Can’t decide if Tuesday was a good performance or not. It was 110% effort all round (generally) against a good Blackburn team - reserves or otherwise Bradley Dak and Stuart Downing are Championship players. That said, we lacked a lot of quality and I think even having an O’Grady type - and definitely Peter Clarke - would have seen us over the line. We also did ride our luck during the 90 minutes and, again, created little going forward.

i didnt go to FGR but i was told we was really poor against them, Went to the crewe game and yes we were crap.,Tuesday night a massive improvement on those 2 games.. Yes alot to improve but alot of positives to take out this games,  long way to go , only 2 games in and way to early to start spitting our dummies out and demanding sacking coach and bringing in yet another fall giy lets see where we are after 10 games... 

5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Has there been a single post saying sack him? 

No, getting ahead of myself, sorry for  jumping the gun on this..i do hope we get some stability this season.. instead of hastily  pulling the trigger on the Manager / Head Coach whatever they call them today...

10 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

No, getting ahead of myself, sorry for  jumping the gun on this..i do hope we get some stability this season.. instead of hastily  pulling the trigger on the Manager / Head Coach whatever they call them today...

We can see you...

1 hour ago, Frankies6 said:

I find it hard to give Banide credit for success or criticism for failure due to his limited responsibility.  Not really bothered whether he stays or goes.

I quite like his criticism of the team and saying things aren't good enough.  Shows that he cares a little bit at least.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Frankies6 said:

i didnt go to FGR but i was told we was really poor against them, Went to the crewe game and yes we were crap.,Tuesday night a massive improvement on those 2 games.. Yes alot to improve but alot of positives to take out this games,  long way to go , only 2 games in and way to early to start spitting our dummies out and demanding sacking coach and bringing in yet another fall giy lets see where we are after 10 games... 

Cautious optimism I agree,  I didn't go to Blackburn so not sure what the commitment levels were. Problem for me is ive seen some of this lot turn in an impressive performance in the past against higher opposition,  then a week later it's back to the usual standard. The league games are the gauge for form. I just hope we pick up some form very soon or things are going to be even more stressful than the last few seasons 

• Like 1

Once again, took a couple of days to reflect properly on Tuesday nights performance and result on Tuesday at Blackburn. Again, I have seen mixed comments but for me, it was a clear improvement than anything I have seen so far this season. I felt that we battled well for the most part, kept in shape well albeit with some costly lapses and I thought we broke well on the counter with pace and precision. It was almost, I stress ALMOST as this isn’t enough quite clearly, the perfect away cup performance.

Woods – Looked assured once more and doesn’t look fazed about playing behind a shaky back line. Made a good save first half to keep it at 1-0 and didn’t really have too much to do other than that. Goals not down to him. Solid game. 7/10

Mills – Not too bad at full back. Did okay although caught with the diagonal ball over the top at least twice first half which nearly cost us dear. Prefer him higher up but wouldn’t be too bothered about him being full back. Not bad. 6/10

Sefil – Looked a lot better rather surprisingly, especially first half. That said, the positioning for a couple of chances, one of which their winning goal is horrendously bad. Also, blames everybody else but himself which annoys me no end! Sadly, culpable of costing us the game. As such, not good. 5/10

Iacovitti – Not bad. First half did well. Last ditch tackle was brilliant if he actually played the ball. Looked a foul to me. Second half struggled against Graham when Dack was running off him. Alongside Wheater I should imagine he’d be fine. Looked okay but defense cost us the game. 5/10

Smith-Brown – Again, looked alright. Not much came down their right but that could have been them being inept. His yellow card knocked him then the goal. Where do I start? Boot it away first time! They were panicking at 0-1 and offered very little. Needs to stop silly errors like those. 5/10

Missilou – Solid once more. Breaks the play up and works hard to retrieve the ball when out of possession. Also didn’t panic when on the ball and broke with purpose allowing us to break with 4/5 rather than the usual 1 or 2. Looked a lot happier with Sylla alongside him too. Good game – 7/10

Sylla – Looked good to me. Broke up play well and played the ball into more creative, forward thinking players. Held his position well and really helped Missilou in the 2 man holding role. Good game. – 7/10

Maouche – Better than Saturday, not hard I know. Much more reliable when in a 3 man midfield and can effectively attack without having to hold his midfield position. Set pieces absolutely woeful again but insistent he is taking everything! Great finish to make it 2-1 but sloppy passes too ended too many dangerous looking attacks. Not bad – 6/10

Fage – Worked extremely hard and very quick going forward. Impressed with his recovery runs once out of possession and his end product isn’t bad either. Always ends up getting something. Only gripe with Fage is too many fancy flicks where 1 in every 5 come off. That said, I’m sure he will learn. Good game – 7/10

Nepomuceno – Best player for Oldham and most creative by far. Quick on the break, direct and often has an end product. Put in a couple of decent crosses that required defending and his run and effort for the goal was fantastic. Has to play on the left, cannot stress this enough! Great game – 8/10

Azankpo – Doesn’t stop running. Works extremely hard and always makes the defender do something. Runs into the channels well and offers pace in abundance on the break. Didn’t have too many chances but defended from the front very well. This is required when a team isn’t great. Good game – 7/10

Subs:

Branger-Engone – A couple of nice touches but not much else. Scuffed a chance late on as did Mills. Also makes the wrong decision too often. Nowhere near as good as Nepo but did okay. 5/10

Hamer – Came on to protect at 2-1 lead with 3(+6) minutes to go. However, didn’t come off. Then got moved to right wing at 2-2, strange decision. Barely touched the ball. – 5/10

Wilson – Ran well once more up front but didn’t have much in the way of seeing the ball. Hard to judge really – 5/10

5 hours ago, unsworthlatic said:

Hamer – Came on to protect at 2-1 lead with 3(+6) minutes to go. However, didn’t come off. Then got moved to right wing at 2-2, strange decision. Barely touched the ball. – 5/10

Understatement much! 😁

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JoeP said:

You talk a lot of sense - until I read the word O`Grady.

Since when has he been able to hold a ball up well? 

14 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

You talk a lot of sense - until I read the word O`Grady.

Since when has he been able to hold a ball up well? 

He could do it better than any attacker we've got at the moment. Beggars can't be choosers, and all that..