Carabao Cup 2019/20

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

If we looked so solid with missilou and Sylla in the middle tell me who was supposed to be picking the runners from midfield for the winning goals? Neither of them are anywhere to be seen when Blackburn walk it into the back of the net.

They were I'm sure but for 90 minutes they were excellent and against oppostion much weaker will be fine.

10 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Soooo unlucky  there.  Should have grabbed an equaliser. 

Can't really have a pop. It’s away against a championship side ffs. 

10 hours ago, archiecat said:

Nowhere near as bad as your spelling BP <_<

10 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

Sounded like there were some positives there, unlucky really (apart from the shocking defending for the 3rd). 

9 hours ago, JoeP said:

On the upside, I think we've got a decent 'keeper..

9 hours ago, welshgaz said:

Just back. Lots of positives with a midfield of Sylla and Missilou we look solid despite the goals we conceded tonight. With Wheater and Egbert to come back we should be ok. 

Woods impressive too.

8 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Anyway, onto the match. I thought we played OK in the main. I was just disappointed we offered far too much time and space in and around our penalty area. We really ought to have conceded before their first went in. Fantastic character from us and we deserved at least a draw if not the win. It's slightly injected a little bit of optimism in but we need to really tighten up at the back if we're going to keep a healthy distance away from teams around the bottom I feel.

8 hours ago, Frankies6 said:

Thoroughly enjoyable Cup game ..Completely different performance to that which we witnessed on Saturday. Not many teams in this league will want to play against that Forward line of ours tonight..We broke with purpose and plenty of pace about us. Yes we do need a leader at the back and maybe if we had tonight the final scoreline might have been different.Not taking anything away from the 4 who played in defense tonight everyone out in a shift maybe tiredness got to them as mistakes leading up to two goals, but thsts what The coaching team are there for

If we can take what we witnessed tonight into the bradford game we wont be far off .. 

7 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

Couldn’t agree more. A balanced opinion of the game instead of all the negativity that some people are only too happy to write.

We looked a decent side tonight, much much better than Saturday - not difficult I know.

An extra man (Sylla) in the middle made things much easier for Maouche and Missilou, and going forward with the ball we looked to have quite a bit of pace.

We played with a lot of energy and enthusiasm and despite the gutting feeling of conceding those 2 late goals I was happy with the performance.

On Saturday it was difficult to pick a MoM because they were all poor apart from Woods, but tonight it was difficult to choose one because no one had a bad game, including Sefil who seems to be the whipping boy at the moment. He won some very commanding headers as far as I could see, and yes he’s definitely lacking in some areas, but maybe he’s inexperienced at this level and he’s still finding his feet. Give him a break. 

2 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

Players make mistakes, some players are cleverer than others, especially Championship players against League 2 ones. Goals happen in games!

it was still a much better performance than Saturday.

Definitely some positives to take from it going forward.

45 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

On a more positive note Nepo's goal was a super strike Maouche's wasn't bad either.

Good to see so many positive comments. Yes, there is a long way to go and yes we conceded two in added time but Banide demanded a reaction and he got it. We competed for 92 minutes but then seemed to lose our shape and discipline.

Something to build on or more of the same this Saturday? Intrigued to see who starts at Bradford. 

We can but hope that Wheater is back. As for the rest of the defence will Stott and Hamer return to the starting line up and will Nepomuceno retain his place? Did Fage do enough to convince Banide of his worth?

*disclaimer - This post concentrates solely on any positives to be gleaned from Team performance - the rest of the shenanigans going on at the club have been (and will continue to be) dealt with elsewhere.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Good to see so many positive comments. Yes, there is a long way to go and yes we conceded two in added time but Banide demanded a reaction and he got it. We competed for 92 minutes but then seemed to lose our shape and discipline.

Something to build on or more of the same this Saturday? Intrigued to see who starts at Bradford. 

We can but hope that Wheater is back. As for the rest of the defence will Stott and Hamer return to the starting line up and will Nepomuceno retain his place? Did Fage do enough to convince Banide of his worth?

*disclaimer - This post concentrates solely on any positives to be gleaned from Team performance - the rest of the shenanigans going on at the club have been (and will continue to be) dealt with elsewhere.

I'd really like to see a back 4 of Mills/Hamer/Wheater/Smith-Brown on Saturday.  I think Hamer has more about him as a defender than Stott, Iacovitti or Sefil and would do well next to Wheater in the middle.  Smith-Brown reportedly had a decent game last night (howler aside) so could be a decent acquisition.  Woods is playing well, so we have a chance of a settled back 5 if that all works.

For a long time now we've been susceptible to midfield runners, so hopefully Banide will find a solution to that.

Sefil did well first half when Blackburn were quite static in attack, when they changed it up in the second half he struggled.

to be fair to the lad he was the one player encouraging the team and showing some leadership when we conceded, unfortunately his positional play near the end was abysmal but the whole team looked on their arse they’d put one hell of a shift in which was a good sign.

maoche did ok, it’s just frustrating that he can do a bit at a decent stadium or on TV but a wet Saturday against Crewe he’s nowhere to be seen.

i hope we can bring same level of performance to valley parade on Saturday 

9 hours ago, welshgaz said:

I know I will get hammered for this but Sefil did well first half. With a experienced player alongside him he will do ok. Fans need to give the lad a break.

Having not been at the game and read comments on here I assumed he caused the whole breakdown. Having watched the highlights it looked as though he was the only one of the back four not at fault for the goals. For downings he wins the header then has to run to close his own clearance down coz noone else did. He's not great but as u said with someone telling him where to be he will be ok. Also ppl on here saying Branger-Engone came on n we conceded three. How an out n out winger caused us to concede three I'll never no. A lot of our players aren't very good. But we r in league two. We won't get decent players. But ppl jus can't deviate from he's shit even when someone has an ok or decent game

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Having not been at the game and read comments on here I assumed he caused the whole breakdown. Having watched the highlights it looked as though he was the only one of the back four not at fault for the goals. For downings he wins the header then has to run to close his own clearance down coz noone else did. He's not great but as u said with someone telling him where to be he will be ok. Also ppl on here saying Branger-Engone came on n we conceded three. How an out n out winger caused us to concede three I'll never no. A lot of our players aren't very good. But we r in league two. We won't get decent players. But ppl jus can't deviate from he's shit even when someone has an ok or decent game

You can get decent players if you recruit properly.

• Like 1

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

Sounds like this is up there with the 0-0 win against Millwall a few years ago. Let's not forget we have been beaten by a reserve side - they made 11 changes yesterday...

Foreign lads raising their game a bit in a nice stadium shocker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris15Arm said:

Gr8 post m8

1 hour ago, Chris15Arm said:

Nepo tracks back well, Branger doesn't is your answer.

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

27% possession counts as a positive these days...

Against a team who made 11 changes and effectively played their reserves. Wasn't too long ago that we went there and competed being in the same division.

I accept the performance was a positive and we've not had many of those to cling onto lately but it will count for nothing if we don't show any improvement in performance on Saturday, couldn't be a better time to play Bradford as they seem to be struggling even more than ourselves.

1 minute ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

27% possession and all the positive lads are in agreement that they really should have had 6. 

Reminder that we lost. 

We lost but the majority of them can hold their heads high although we played against a team who had made 11 changes, with the two centre backs coming in from injury and a couple of loans (midfield and cf) then we shouldnt be far off being a top half league 2 team..

They days of us discussing the chances of promotion are long gone years ago, we should be looking to improve on last season but i believe last seasons team was a lot stronger than this.

We should have game managed better lastnight, we had a couple of chances to take it into the corner in the last few mins but maoche and Branger decided against it, instead of defending for our lives knowing they had put 4/5 upfront we kept our players in the midfield and this ultimately was too much for the CB’s to handle..All ifs and buts but i agree overall they could have scored 6..

On to Bratford on Saturday, hopefully Wheater is back to organise the back 4 and Nepo keeps his place on the wing and Vera is nowhere near the starting 11..

7 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

27% possession and all the positive lads are in agreement that they really should have had 6. 

Reminder that we lost. 

Blackburn should've had a penalty and the goal what got disallowed was a joke. so basically we should have lost by a lot more 

Edited by oafcmb

1 minute ago, oafcmb said:

Blackburn should've had a penalty and the goal what got disallowed were a joke. so basically we should of lost by a lot more 

Looked like a stonewaller the hand ball with Mills? They are supposed to be given now aren’t they? 

Fluking a 1 goal loss might be more damaging than actually getting hammered for 6 which is what should have happened. 

Lets see what happens on Saturday.

• Like 1