Edmundson gone to Rangers

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

He played very well at Fulham and I'd suspect Celtic wouldn't be much better, he will do just fine continuing to develop and getting better with time, physically he's got all the attributes to do very well in that League.

Better?. Celtic aren’t anywhere near Perm standard. Celtic and Rangers are Championship, the rest are league 1. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I agree, Fulham were a Championship (at best) standard team last season.

We played superbly at Fulham, but by God they were in the perfect time and place for us. I hope George has a great career post Rangers, I think he could play Championship level. Still think Griffith and French Eddy will bum him.

24 minutes ago, leeslover said:

We played superbly at Fulham, but by God they were in the perfect time and place for us. I hope George has a great career post Rangers, I think he could play Championship level. Still think Griffith and French Eddy will bum him.

I thought about the same for Tarky when he was playing for us. I really hope he pushes on to that next level similarly. Good luck to the kid

2 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I thought about the same for Tarky when he was playing for us. I really hope he pushes on to that next level similarly. Good luck to the kid

He's not in Tarky's class in any aspect of his game (maybe a bit quicker?) - different level but he can still do well

4 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Some doubted Tarky and never thought he'd be where he is today, hence no sell on.

The Judge in the latest round of Sports Direct vs The Rangers slaughtered the latter in his ruling and indicated they're liable for, "many millions." Hope we aren't too reliant on the other instalments coming in on time.

Tarky was much more comfortable on the ball than Edmundson, and that’s a requirement for a premier league defender these days. Edmundson has plenty of time to develop though, and will most likely end up in the championship I reckon. Playing mainly league one level football up there isn’t where he future lies in my opinion.

3 hours ago, ghostofcecere said:

Tarky was much more comfortable on the ball than Edmundson, and that’s a requirement for a premier league defender these days. Edmundson has plenty of time to develop though, and will most likely end up in the championship I reckon. Playing mainly league one level football up there isn’t where he future lies in my 

To many fancy dan centre backs in the Premiership, they can be a liability. Won't be long before the big solid defenders come back into fashion again after more embarrassments by the likes of Stones.

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

To many fancy dan centre backs in the Premiership, they can be a liability. Won't be long before the big solid defenders come back into fashion again after more embarrassments by the likes of Stones.

Agree BP - I`ve said for years that Stones is shit. One of those who thinks he's better than he is - and many have fed his ego. Remember a tv pundit calling him one of the most graceful, ball playing centre backs England has produced. What planet are these pillocks on?!

12 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Stones is just shite. Likes of VVD show there is no need for big cloggers like the old days

28 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Nonsense.  

49 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Perhaps the answer is a ball playing centre back with a solid defender type alongside 

Think the days of someone who is just a clogger have gone defenders need to be comfortable on the ball at the back. With pitches in better shape than ever and probably getting better still it encourages teams to play out from the back. With coaches such as Guardiola advocating it and when you look at what hes won only an idiot would argue against it being effective.

The ball playing centre back isnt a new phenomenon but now you dont see them playing the ball into the channel even when under pressure, defenders are now expected to pass their way out of trouble even when being pressed. You still need centre backs with strength and height VVD is unique in that hes the complete modern centre back. But the idea of us going back to an age of cloggers isn't going to happen.

We all talk about Peter Clarke's leadership what we possibly undervalued is how comfortable he was in possession of the ball. Edmondson wasnt bad at this either but he wasnt as good as Tarkowski.

27 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Think the days of someone who is just a clogger have gone defenders need to be comfortable on the ball at the back. With pitches in better shape than ever and probably getting better still it encourages teams to play out from the back. With coaches such as Guardiola advocating it and when you look at what hes won only an idiot would argue against it being effective.

The ball playing centre back isnt a new phenomenon but now you dont see them playing the ball into the channel even when under pressure, defenders are now expected to pass their way out of trouble even when being pressed. You still need centre backs with strength and height VVD is unique in that hes the complete modern centre back. But the idea of us going back to an age of cloggers isn't going to happen.

We all talk about Peter Clarke's leadership what we possibly undervalued is how comfortable he was in possession of the ball. Edmondson wasnt bad at this either but he wasnt as good as Tarkowski.

Didn't say cloggers, but many Premiership clubs had tough players like Tony Adam's and John Terry who were good enough to play on the world stage for many years. Are we saying such a player would have no place at top level today?

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Didn't say cloggers, but many Premiership clubs had tough players like Tony Adam's and John Terry who were good enough to play on the world stage for many years. Are we saying such a player would have no place at top level today?

No like I said height and strength play a part see Virgil Van Dijk, Sergio Ramos and to a lesser extent Harry Maguire. Id say overall though defenders are expected to be better on the ball than previous generations. John Stones needs to learn to do it more effectively. Thats why he isnt first choice at city.

Archived