Apologies if I haven’t built up enough rep on here yet but following the bulls*** rumour about Danny mayor last week which briefly got me up for the new season, it got me thinking; whose the best 3 players you’ve seen in a latics shirt in the last 25 years? I’ll start the ball rolling with mine.

1) Wellens 

2) Gregan

3) Kilkenny

obviously they’ll be a debate about positions but we all know a good player when we see one.

• Like 1

There's lots of players since the premier league that we could make a good team out of..... 

Pogliacomi 

Grant

Armstrong 

Lee

Wjanyard ( apols for spelling  )

Liddel

Sinnot

Andrews

Stephens

Stam 

Eyers

Shez 

Fitz 

All of those were decent players.

On 6/23/2019 at 2:29 PM, Bristolatic said:

Gary Kelly - for all the times he kept us in the game

David Eyres - for sheer individual skill

Ernie Cooksey - for pure effort and determination

Cooksey was shite so had to try hard, fact is, if he wasn't dead he would be nowhere near anyone's top three players. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Clifford said:

Cooksey was shite so had to try hard, fact is, if he wasn't dead he would be nowhere near anyone's top three players. 

Not really necessary in my opinion but I will put a slant on it, talent doesn't always warm a player to the fans, let's face it if a player like Jack Byrne had an ounce of Cookseys character and desire to do his best he'd be playing in the Premier League, some players will make the best of what they are given whilst others (Byrne and Baxter - unfortunately) go through their careers imploding. 

• Like 2

On 6/25/2019 at 1:26 PM, Clifford said:

He wasn’t shite. He was pretty average though from a natural talent perspective. The thing was that his desire and work rate made up for his lack of natural talent.

It doesn’t come as a big surprise that some people will look for those capable of moments of brilliance when identifying their favourite players whilst others will be attracted to those who gave their all for the club. Both views are perfectly reasonable.

The story that surrounds Ernie will undoubtedly help keep him further forward in some fans’ thoughts than other players but those memories are still based upon what he did for the club at a time when things looked pretty grim (differently grim to now). There are other players who have been taken away too soon or been through very tough times after leaving the club. Their names are not filling these lists so maybe Ernie was a bit different.

• Like 2

Very surprised Peter Clarke not on anyone’s list! Maybe rose coloured spectacles only available after they’ve left for more than 5 years?

I would go for Clarke, Sheridan and Ripley.