Barry Owen. The truth

Maybe you'll say it's done to death and I did post in another status recently to ask what exactly is it BO has done, or not as the case maybe to justify his villain image.

So apart from red fleece gate, Lee Hughes and Chad Evans, what as this bloke done to harm OAFC?.

Personally I don't know of any. Red fleece was an absolute nothing to me. Lee Hughes didn't turn out to badly for the club and Chad Evans case against him was quashed. Plus no media circus on his return to the professional field.

I believe the truth as been lost in the mob witch hunt over the years. Just curious if anyone can actually tell everyone what the bloke has done?

• Like 2

I've never met him.  I have never had any dealings with him.  I have no doubt he contributes to the club and puts plenty of time in for, I imagine, little reward.

On here he has reaped what he has sown as some of his posts have been patronising, particularly given how he initially acquired his status at the club.  His recent interview on GMR was not that of a man who did everything that one might expect of a director during the latter days of the previous regime.

I suspect his reputation/image isn't entirely fair but since when was social media and message boards a fair environment?

Edited by Dave_Og
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Lags said:

Maybe you'll say it's done to death and I did post in another status recently to ask what exactly is it BO has done, or not as the case maybe to justify his villain image.

So apart from red fleece gate, Lee Hughes and Chad Evans, what as this bloke done to harm OAFC?.

Personally I don't know of any. Red fleece was an absolute nothing to me. Lee Hughes didn't turn out to badly for the club and Chad Evans case against him was quashed. Plus no media circus on his return to the professional field.

I believe the truth as been lost in the mob witch hunt over the years. Just curious if anyone can actually tell everyone what the bloke has done?

To flip it around Lags.

Do you know him personally? If so, what are we missing? Is his patronising, self serving, two faced demeanour a front?

Is it possible that he hasn’t ‘done’ anything. . . . Except come across as a tosser? 

In don’t see how you can be a director of a business and claim to not know what the business owns and what it doesn’t, and that you have a landlord you owe money too.

That’s just downright negligence in my book, that along with not submitting accounts for years in a previous organisation you were a director of. And we are supposed to trust that he’s part of another board of directors that will turn the fortunes of the club around?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lags said:

Chad Evans case against him was quashed. Plus no media circus on his return to the professional field.

Fucking hell Legs..... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lags said:

You have been very keen to defend him in the past maybe you know him personally.

If so perhaps you can tell us what role he is currently doing at the club at the moment? Is he advising the Lemsagams and are they taking his advice? If that is the case I'm seriously worried because the football club is appallingly administered right now.

Edited by GlossopLatic

19 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

In don’t see how you can be a director of a business and claim to not know what the business owns and what it doesn’t, and that you have a landlord you owe money too.

That’s just downright negligence in my book, that along with not submitting accounts for years in a previous organisation you were a director of. And we are supposed to trust that he’s part of another board of directors that will turn the fortunes of the club around?

This.  He actually went on record slagging off the previous owner of total incompetence, dodgy practices etc.  When it was the questioned that he was actually sitting on the board at the time, he claimed total ignorance.  This is total fuckwittery of the highest order.

I can’t be arsed to pull that recording on BBC Manchester but did he not state to Mike on that radio show that he knew it was happening but didn’t feel right to challenge Corney?  Something along the lines of...sometimes you question things in your head but keep to yourself.  Why?  It does imply that he turned a blind eye whilst still getting the trappings of a director ie seat in directors box, free food in boardroom, free tickets home/away & free travel to away games.  I’m uncertain if he got all this free though but that’s the impression I get.

I did witness him first hand once when I as invited to the boardroom and directors box for the Yeovil home game under Lee Johnson. He waltzed in like he was the owner and was just as opinionated and brash like he comes over on interviews.  He challenged me as to what I was doing there but fortunately Neil Joy (who I personally thought was excellent in his role, extremely courtesy and warmly welcomed me and my daughter) jumped in.  

Extremely odious individual who shows only contempt to fans.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, latics22 said:

He must have been elected via the trust? So they must have thought he was ok at one point? 

Part of one of the reasons. He used the trust and used a few people to get the seat, then fucked em right off once he got his toe in the boardroom at BP.

1 hour ago, ghostofcecere said:

He either knew what was going on with Corney and his 'mismanagement' or as you say, he was too incompetent to see it.

Either way, it stinks. Doesn't look good on him either way.

Strikes me as the type of bloke to look after his own interests. Seems a long time since he was acting as a fan would.

• Like 1

Barry was the Trust representative on the board and failed to file the Trust accounts...for SEVEN STRAIGHT YEARS. I’m also unclear what his role in the Abdallah takeover was. Abdallah was clearly sold a pup by Corney, so where was the due diligence. Surely it wasn’t in the hands of Barry Owen in his advisory capacity?

As for Barry moaning about the financial mismanagement of the club under the previous regime...he’s got more front than Blackpool promenade.

The man is a big part of the problem and has been for years. The only mystery is why some people think the shambles of the last fuck-knows-how-many years is not at least partly a product of Barry’s efforts.

You know I love you Lags but pull the other one. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lags said:

So, Lags. What was it that first attracted you to the multi-millionaire Barry Owen?

• Like 2

I was genuinely interested as to why BO is vilified every but which way, by it seems 90% of Latics fans. It seems every day, regardless the ill's of OAFC.

I find it interesting that less than 20 member's have actually replied with answers, so I think that say's a lot, there's quite a bit of going with the flow. That's not unusual in life. So any going with the flow people please don't see it as a slur. Lets say 8 have posted their reasons and all genuine to them and who's to say they are wrong thinking that way?.

What I've never liked the whole of my life is the gang mentality,  not just in this instance. It's a sad fact of life this goes on. We've all seen it, someone disagrees or doesn't like someone so they go about poisoning their character to others who are to weak to not be swayed. So on and on it goes.

Whilst I am not here to purely defend BO, am sure he's capable of doing that himself, I will a little. I've spoken to BO a number of times down the years including things I've not agreed with him over. I really do think we should cut him a little slack sometimes. No one gets everything right and we all put ourselves first sometimes, as no doubt BO has now and then.

Just to deal with one or two points that have been raised that might go some way to throwing a different outlook perhaps. The filling of late accounts whilst at the trust coincided with 2 bent accountants being taken to task and subsequent prison terms imposed. Maloney had been arrested for theft of large amounts of money from his employer and Nuttall was convicted and sentenced to prison for theft of Trust monies. So in those circumstances maybe some mitigation

It's very important to remember, BO alleges certainly the last two years of Corney's reign, he, Corney wouldn't work with BO or other board members over financial matters and they didn't know what he was doing. Everyone was finding it hard to know what deals were happening or what monies went where according to BO. BO freely admits that under such circumstances he could, maybe should have resigned. However in his own words he thought it best to remain on the inside in the hope to discover what really was going on. He is still instigating the hunt into what the goings on were. Again some may still insist BO should have known but if someone is hiding stuff, misleading or being secretive it's difficult to know just what that is. At this point I have to say, I don't know the above to be true, It's what BO claims to have happened. I saw it thrown at BO on here many many times he was just a yes man for Corney to keep himself cosy in the boardroom, BO says his relationship was far from cosy.

This due diligence I am sure Al had better qualified people on that one, I know I would have. There is absolutely no way I'd be blaming BO over Al buying a pup. 

There's one thing for sure which I am guessing we all agree on, the club is in a right mess. Fragmented, tangled and is going to take one almighty effort to turn it around. 

Blame BO for his failings not everything that's all I am saying. I knew this wouldn't be a popular post but I don't need gangs or universal backing, I was just curious who really did have a genuine grievance. 

Edited by Lags
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, owdumer said:

Do your research, Re Big Baz's press conference on Ched Evans.

Research where? It's not going to be on google or here is it.

If he has something to do with Ched Evans, not sure why it's been listed above as a separate subject to the Ched thing?

7 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

Still confused what is red fleece gate ?

I’m sure there was more but....

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/oldham-athletic/9636071/negotiations-ongoing-for-evans/more/2

Because all eyes were on us at the time.......regarding professionalism the red fleece look and the statement were as ironic as they are now iconic.

Edited by WLYOWD
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lags said:

What I've never liked the whole of my life is the gang mentality,  not just in this instance. It's a sad fact of life this goes on. We've all seen it, someone disagrees or doesn't like someone so they go about poisoning their character to others who are to weak to not be swayed. So on and on it goes.

This mentality seems to go hand in hand with the advent of social media as a platform for expressing a view on a wide variety of subjects. It is very easy to join in with the prevailing opinion and it is also very easy to hide behind a pseudonym (says he who posts as TheBigDog...). Many fire off opinions that are often taken for the truth (either intentionally or not). What we end up with is many forming a viewpoint based on hearsay or uncorroborated evidence. 

The impression that I have of Barry Owen is largely informed by what I have read on this forum and other social media platforms. I don’t doubt that he has the best interests of the club at heart but he has come across as patronising and heavy handed with some of his comments. And I’m sure he would admit that he has made mistakes in the past. Has he learnt from these mistakes? Time will tell I suppose.

This does it for me:

’There's one thing for sure which I am guessing we all agree on, the club is in a right mess. Fragmented, tangled and is going to take one almighty effort to turn it around.’

Edited by TheBigDog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WLYOWD said:

I’m sure there was more but....

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/oldham-athletic/9636071/negotiations-ongoing-for-evans/more/2

Because all eyes were on us at the time.......regarding professionalism the red fleece look and the statement were as ironic as they are now iconic.

Still makes me wince. 

• Like 1