Barry Owen. The truth

I can only go off how he comes across in the media, which is like an elderly relative who has a few marbles loose. Everyone smiles and nods at what he says, but are really cringing inside. 

Hardly going to do the club any favours in a forward-thinking world..

Never had any dealings with him personally but a very good friend of mine (who I trust completely) was a police constable when BO was an inspector. What he tells me about his character and people skills tends to suggest that the general perceptions are correct.

8 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Just mind boggling that anyone still tries to justify the Evans thing on the basis of his subsequentlt successful appeal. It was shockingly bad judgement and very damaging. 

No one is justifying the position Evans put himself in and mud sticks. The media circus and frenzy of those on high horses wanting to be appalled exasperated the whole situation and for that alone it probably was better left alone. That said he was out of prison with an appeal looming. It was clear to me the very fact he was out prior to the appeal being heard that all involved expected the verdict that appeal delivered. That makes him a free man without a conviction and his subsequent return to football was rather uneventful.

I'd hazard a guess that seeing as the Lee Hughes signing went fairly well in the end, had a major judgement on going in for Evans. Lets remember Hughes was indeed convicted and a man died due to his actions. I don't condone either man and both will and should live with it all their lives, but!!! they have the right by our laws to carry on just like you and me.

Does anyone really think that the world remembers the Evans gate now?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Never had any dealings with him personally but a very good friend of mine (who I trust completely) was a police constable when BO was an inspector. What he tells me about his character and people skills tends to suggest that the general perceptions are correct.

I judge everyone how they are with me, not what someone else says. Nothing wrong in trusting people completely, opinions are always just opinions and I very much doubt you agree on all things.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, owdumer said:

I know a member of his extended family, the opinions expressed are not flattering.

I judge everyone how they are with me, not what someone else says. I guess you best leave the extended family member anonymous as that wouldn't be fair.

17 minutes ago, owdumer said:

I know a member of his extended family, the opinions expressed are not flattering.

Could you please reveal their name and DOB so that l may stalk creepily into their online life searching for private nuggets and maybe a picture l could post on here?

17 minutes ago, Lags said:

I know. I am interested in what it is BO has done to warrant the villain tag at Latics. Peoples experiences not hearsay.

I know. You said. But people can’t be arsed goin back over it all just for you to quote their post and say something like you met him a few times and he was nice to you, then ask somebody else to do it and do the same thing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

I know. You said. But people can’t be arsed goin back over it all just for you to quote their post and say something like you met him a few times and he was nice to you, then ask somebody else to do it and do the same thing. 

It's not compulsory to comment. I take your point though, there will be others like you not arsed to contribute.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lags said:

I was genuinely interested as to why BO is vilified every but which way, by it seems 90% of Latics fans. It seems every day, regardless the ill's of OAFC.

I find it interesting that less than 20 member's have actually replied with answers, so I think that say's a lot, there's quite a bit of going with the flow. That's not unusual in life. So any going with the flow people please don't see it as a slur. Lets say 8 have posted their reasons and all genuine to them and who's to say they are wrong thinking that way?.

What I've never liked the whole of my life is the gang mentality,  not just in this instance. It's a sad fact of life this goes on. We've all seen it, someone disagrees or doesn't like someone so they go about poisoning their character to others who are to weak to not be swayed. So on and on it goes.

Whilst I am not here to purely defend BO, am sure he's capable of doing that himself, I will a little. I've spoken to BO a number of times down the years including things I've not agreed with him over. I really do think we should cut him a little slack sometimes. No one gets everything right and we all put ourselves first sometimes, as no doubt BO has now and then.

Just to deal with one or two points that have been raised that might go some way to throwing a different outlook perhaps. The filling of late accounts whilst at the trust coincided with 2 bent accountants being taken to task and subsequent prison terms imposed. Maloney had been arrested for theft of large amounts of money from his employer and Nuttall was convicted and sentenced to prison for theft of Trust monies. So in those circumstances maybe some mitigation

It's very important to remember, BO alleges certainly the last two years of Corney's reign, he, Corney wouldn't work with BO or other board members over financial matters and they didn't know what he was doing. Everyone was finding it hard to know what deals were happening or what monies went where according to BO. BO freely admits that under such circumstances he could, maybe should have resigned. However in his own words he thought it best to remain on the inside in the hope to discover what really was going on. He is still instigating the hunt into what the goings on were. Again some may still insist BO should have known but if someone is hiding stuff, misleading or being secretive it's difficult to know just what that is. At this point I have to say, I don't know the above to be true, It's what BO claims to have happened. I saw it thrown at BO on here many many times he was just a yes man for Corney to keep himself cosy in the boardroom, BO says his relationship was far from cosy.

This due diligence I am sure Al had better qualified people on that one, I know I would have. There is absolutely no way I'd be blaming BO over Al buying a pup. 

There's one thing for sure which I am guessing we all agree on, the club is in a right mess. Fragmented, tangled and is going to take one almighty effort to turn it around. 

Blame BO for his failings not everything that's all I am saying. I knew this wouldn't be a popular post but I don't need gangs or universal backing, I was just curious who really did have a genuine grievance. 

Fair point about the accountants...but if you’re in charge you face the music for shitty things done by the people around you. 

I’m sure there is a bit of groupthink and ganging up going on. At the same time, this received wisdom has legit sources that have accumulated over time. If nothing else, Barry has become a symbol and embodiment of the malaise. He has done so through his own actions, which we have all seen in public and when they manifest themselves publicly. I’ve not heard a single person who’s met or dealt with Barry say a good word about him, but that’s irrelevant. 

13 minutes ago, 24hoursfromtulsehill said:

Fair point about the accountants...but if you’re in charge you face the music for shitty things done by the people around you. 

I’m sure there is a bit of groupthink and ganging up going on. At the same time, this received wisdom has legit sources that have accumulated over time. If nothing else, Barry has become a symbol and embodiment of the malaise. He has done so through his own actions, which we have all seen in public and when they manifest themselves publicly. I’ve not heard a single person who’s met or dealt with Barry say a good word about him, but that’s irrelevant. 

Yes, I think BO over the years could have developed a siege mentality which doesn't help, but that is systematic of continual hostility. We also know that those in places of authority over long periods of time ultimately lose support. 

I really do think there is more groupthink as you say going on. It's gone on so long it becomes true.

Edited by Lags

I know for a fact that he would like to ‘get’ people because they have said negative things about him using derogatory words. That, for me, says all anybody needs to know about his us and them mentality. Somebody said above about him loudly asking why there was an unfamiliar face in a room he had just entered, that’s classic barry. It is my personal opinion that he is a twat and l do hope l am allowed to hold and voice that opinion in this day and age.

Sometimes what you don’t do is as damning as what you do. 

Barry didn’t do much that I know of to stop the club’s slide to where we are now. 

At the same time, things he did do were, at various times, embarrassing, irritating, and damaging. 

So he’s not been great at either side of action or inaction. 

Plus he’s still in there.

Put all that together and that’s why - in my opinion - many supporters don’t like him. 

Edited by Nohairdontcare

Wasn't Evans a convicted rapist at the time of us trying to sign him?  And I may have this wrong, but I don't think the subsequent appeal proved she consented, rather that her previous behaviour cast sufficient doubt over whether there was consent or not. There's still a huge grey area over what happened.

Hughes did a terrible thing of course, but had served his time and I think was doing rehabilitation/work in the community etc.  So you could argue that he has the right to try to establish a career.  There are moral questions about whether doing it in the public eye and earning decent money is ok, but the two situations aren't the same.

Just now, Stevie_J said:

He wasn't 'without conviction' at the point the club tried to sign him.  His status, at that time, was convicted rapist.

That statement is also true. There is where the lines blur for me. I will repeat what I said back then, it's very unusual for a prisoner to be released pending an appeal. That for me signalled all involved knew the appeal outcome. 

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

Wasn't Evans a convicted rapist at the time of us trying to sign him?  And I may have this wrong, but I don't think the subsequent appeal proved she consented, rather that her previous behaviour cast sufficient doubt over whether there was consent or not. There's still a huge grey area over what happened.

Hughes did a terrible thing of course, but had served his time and I think was doing rehabilitation/work in the community etc.  So you could argue that he has the right to try to establish a career.  There are moral questions about whether doing it in the public eye and earning decent money is ok, but the two situations aren't the same.

As said earlier and mud sticks. There is no grey area, the conviction was deemed unsafe and quashed. Had the original trial delivered the same verdict as the appeal he'd be by law in the same place he is now.

Good points, but we can't define BO on this one topic.