Barry Owen. The truth

1 hour ago, Lags said:

Explain?. Is my statement not true.

At the time he was a convicted rapist. The public outcty was inevitable and it was impossible to envisage any other scenario. The club could not have benefitted. 

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

The public outcty was inevitable and it was impossible to envisage any other scenario.

It was according to Barry, if I remember rightly. "Didn't expect such a backlash" I think was roughly the quote, just a couple of days after Jessica Ennis had pulled sponsorship from Sheffield United after they were going to sign him..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It was according to Barry, if I remember rightly. "Didn't expect such a backlash" I think was roughly the quote, just a couple of days after Jessica Ennis had pulled sponsorship from Sheffield United after they were going to sign him..

I think the Sheffield interest came after Latics pulled out. Can anyone remember the outrage when he finally entered the professional field?.

You're right in all other regards.

3 minutes ago, Lags said:

I think the Sheffield interest came after Latics pulled out. Can anyone remember the outrage when he finally entered the professional field?.

You're right in all other regards.

No.  Sheff United were first up.  We dismally followed.  You are missing the point entirely, the situation had changed when he came back.

Just now, Dave_Og said:

No.  Sheff United were first up.  We dismally followed.  You are missing the point entirely, the situation had changed when he came back.

OK, I take that to be correct then. No I am not missing any point, I've already said it was probably best left and that the blurred line was that we negotiated with Evans in lieu of his appeal being successful. I also stated back then as now due to his release it was nailed on the conviction would be quashed. That one incident does not justify BO villain status. I don't see anyone going after LJ, after all it was he who wanted him 

1 minute ago, Lags said:

OK, I take that to be correct then. No I am not missing any point, I've already said it was probably best left and that the blurred line was that we negotiated with Evans in lieu of his appeal being successful. I also stated back then as now due to his release it was nailed on the conviction would be quashed. That one incident does not justify BO villain status. I don't see anyone going after LJ, after all it was he who wanted him 

Show me anybody villifying BO on that one incident. Anybody. Anywhere. Even if you want you can say ‘I know this bloke..’ and l will log it in my head as a possible.

3 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Show me anybody villifying BO on that one incident. Anybody. Anywhere. Even if you want you can say ‘I know this bloke..’ and l will log it in my head as a possible.

It's the one incident being debated the most as the most significant, no other reason for my comment. It would be near on impossible to show anyone anymore vilifying BO over any one incident now. It's a constant stream of abuse over everything. That was the whole point of this thread. For people to air their genuine reasons, not just gang bashing because that's what happens style.

9 minutes ago, Lags said:

It's the one incident being debated the most as the most significant, no other reason for my comment. It would be near on impossible to show anyone anymore vilifying BO over any one incident now. It's a constant stream of abuse over everything. That was the whole point of this thread. For people to air their genuine reasons, not just gang bashing because that's what happens style.

I think the general bad feeling towards him started before the Evans incident, didn't it? Supposedly on the board to represent The Trust, yet constantly just defended Corney and the club... quite aggressively on occasions.

Edited by JoeP

9 minutes ago, Lags said:

To provide balance, what positive contributions has he made during his involvement?

1 hour ago, Lags said:

That statement is also true. There is where the lines blur for me. I will repeat what I said back then, it's very unusual for a prisoner to be released pending an appeal. That for me signalled all involved knew the appeal outcome. 

IIRC, I don't think he was released pending appeal. He served two and a half years before being released on licence. This is standard for most prisoners. The appeal came much later. There is lots of room for discussion about second chances etc of course...

2 minutes ago, kowenicki'smoustache said:

IIRC, I don't think he was released pending appeal. He served two and a half years before being released on licence. This is standard for most prisoners. The appeal came much later. There is lots of room for discussion about second chances etc of course...

Yes, some of that rings a bell. I am sure he was released earlier than his sentence warranted?

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

To provide balance, what positive contributions has he made during his involvement?

Very good point indeed. I will try to contact BO to get feedback on that. I suppose off the top of my head he was involved in weeding out both Maloney and Nuttall. Bringing in some players including Baxter. Instigating the investigation into the dealings of Corney and also looking into what if anything can be done regarding council money that went to the OEC.

2 minutes ago, kowenicki'smoustache said:

Probably. I don't suppose anyone comes out of situations like this with much credit. Talk about regretting a night out...

Evans get's no credit what so ever for that night in my book. 

Edited by Lags

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Never had any dealings with him personally but a very good friend of mine (who I trust completely) was a police constable when BO was an inspector. What he tells me about his character and people skills tends to suggest that the general perceptions are correct.

Same here, his reputation is worse amongst the police world than it is the OAFC fans group from my conversations.

Lol when he suggested going up would be a bad thing. Man doesn't know fuck all about being a fan and what a fan looks for considering he was the fans rep at one point.

Shame but I can see Barry Jnr doing the same now he has got his trust seat. Starting to creep in with his social media comments. Maybe it is not possible to be a true fans rep and be on the board. The free tickets and pies are a stronger habit to kick than spice it seems.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lags said:

But you brought up Ched numerous times nobody else has other than to respond to you.

37 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I think the general bad feeling towards him started before the Evans incident, didn't it? Supposedly on the board to represent The Trust, yet constantly just defended Corney and the club... quite aggressively on occasions.

Yes. 

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

Barry told me - when he was still Chairman of the Supporters Trust - that he knew signing Evans would result in quite a few long standing fans not going, but he thought it was worth it. That would be enough for me.

But I've also met him.

And his family entourage.

And I remember him threatening to sue this message board.

And threatening to sue everybody.

I know he always told people Corney was a crook but he was sitting tight to take over from him.

And the Strangeway riots. 

And the fleece.

"And Lady."

And a whole lot more 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I've had some feedback from BO, here are some of the contributions

1. work with the safety officer in ensuring the club is compliant with the law in respect of ground safety. This requires meeting with the local authority and emergency services.

2. Liaise with EFL and FA on regulatory matters involving discipline and appeal. He also currently sits on the disciplinary commissions for the  FA.

3. Liaise with referees committee re performance of referees.

4. Liaise with club legal team on internal discipline investigations and hearings.

5. Assist the ownership with recruitment of management team and players when requested.

6. Maintain relations with numerous agents and football clubs known over long periods resulting in signings such as Lang last season.

Along with general help on a daily basis when asked to do so.

He say's he's perfectly happy to meet anyone on a one to one basis to discuss club duties etc. and he is fully committed to helping the club on a daily basis.

I'd like to add I very rarely see BO either socially or in the course of my daily life. Perhaps speak with him once every 6 months or so. Yes I have his phone number, as I do Alan Hardy, as I did Corney, but that's not unusual lots of people do.

Some members of this board have shared their reasons for their beliefs and who's to say they're wrong, not me for sure. If it was me, I'd take up BO offer even if it's just to air my concerns but also to get a little insight into running a football club.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leeslover said:

Barry told me - when he was still Chairman of the Supporters Trust - that he knew signing Evans would result in quite a few long standing fans not going, but he thought it was worth it. That would be enough for me.

I remember this.

Spent all season moaning that fans weren't coming to games and then was prepared to see more leave just to sign Evans.

Strange logic.

• Like 3