Earliest Latics programme

I no longer collect them Singe but in my heyday 30 years or so ago, the oldest I had was one from Chelsea v Oldham in 1913/14 or 1914/15. The earliest home game I had was 1922/23 - our last spell in League 1 before our return 68 years later.

I still have a few....added to by acquiring a number from Disjointed that inspired my waffling 1973/74 and 1974/75 memories...….. suspect the earliest I have got now is about 1969.    

• Like 1

I have the 1929/30 programme v Sheff Wed, FA Cup 4th Rnd, the match that was our record home attendance. 

I believe the first Latics' programme was v Bolton Wanderers Reserves , Oct 13th 1906, in the Lancashire Combination. Our last season before entering the League.

Edit: Put the wrong season in - old age (of me not the programme) catching up....

Edited by LaticsPete

9 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

I no longer collect them Singe but in my heyday 30 years or so ago, the oldest I had was one from Chelsea v Oldham in 1913/14 or 1914/15. The earliest home game I had was 1922/23 - our last spell in League 1 before our return 68 years later.

I still have a few....added to by acquiring a number from Disjointed that inspired my waffling 1973/74 and 1974/75 memories...….. suspect the earliest I have got now is about 1969.    

Cheers. Amazing.

9 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

I have the 1933/4 programme v Sheff Wed, FA Cup 4th Rnd, the match that was our record home attendance. 

I believe the first Latics' programme was v Bolton Wanderers Reserves , Oct 13th 1906, in the Lancashire Combination. Our last season before entering the League.

Thanks Pete great to know that. Was that the first programme you know produced or earliest know to exist?

14 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

I have the 1933/4 programme v Sheff Wed, FA Cup 4th Rnd, the match that was our record home attendance. 

Pete I think our record attendance was 1929/30. I seem to recall that we might have played Wednesday again in the FA Cup around the same time? Would love to have my old programme collection again - so many memories from a much happier time supporting the club     

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Pete I think our record attendance was 1929/30. I seem to recall that we might have played Wednesday again in the FA Cup around the same time? Would love to have my old programme collection again - so many memories from a much happier time supporting the club     

What did you do with the collection?

14 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Ha ! You're right and that's the one I have. Got it an auction along with newspaper cuttings about the match. Will amend my earlier post!  Thanks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, singe said:

Thanks Pete great to know that. Was that the first programme you know produced or earliest know to exist?

I believe it was the actual first. Cover says Vol 1 No 1...and a few years ago Programme Monthly listed it as the first known issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, disjointed said:

What did you do with the collection?

sold it off through the years Alan - got a load of programmes given to me from a fella in Middleton and it started me off. At one stage I was about 6 programmes short of all home and aways for Latics since 1960 but as time went by and life took several different turns, became apparent I had to finance other things and sadly the time came when I had to sell up. I recall Jimmy Kirton saying you will regret it one day, I always did but life goes on. I couldn't bear the idea of someone throwing Latics programmes out Alan, hence I contacted you when yours were up for grabs (cheers mate)    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

sold it off through the years Alan - got a load of programmes given to me from a fella in Middleton and it started me off. At one stage I was about 6 programmes short of all home and aways for Latics since 1960 but as time went by and life took several different turns, became apparent I had to finance other things and sadly the time came when I had to sell up. I recall Jimmy Kirton saying you will regret it one day, I always did but life goes on. I couldn't bear the idea of someone throwing Latics programmes out Alan, hence I contacted you when yours were up for grabs (cheers mate)    

Well if I ever get the yearning to look back on old programmes I will bring a carry out to yours and cadge a look at them. 

• Like 1