Keeper signed

16 hours ago, latics22 said:

A loan of similar ilk to Iverson and Ripley, was what I expected. I doubt he is on their level?

They were just 2 of our loan goalies that worked though. We could have also got Jack Ruddy or Ben Wilson. He has played at a higher level all of his career, and I expect him to be more than good enough for us. Unfortunately its easy to forget we are currently a lower mid table League 2 team. 

I also prefer a permanent signing, mainly due to when the loan players are really good fans spend the next few months pestering about when we are going to sign permanently and it does my head in!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I

10. Gary Woods (Hamilton Academical)

The Englishman has taken over Jamie MacDonald’s mantle of the most bemused goalkeeper in the country. It is understandable when you consider the backline in front of him. Watching back through the goals conceded by Hamilton this campaign and they follow one of three paths: 1) being beaten in the air at a corner or free-kick, 2) the opposition running into acres of space, or 3) a simple but ghastly error.

A familiar feature of Hamilton’s season has been Woods’ expression which has varied from disbelief to frustration to someone who just wants to laugh. He has, however, been a solid and reliable figure behind a dysfunctional and unreliable defence.

His signing and subsequent contract extension has been great business for Hamilton. He is someone who can be labelled a modern goalkeeper. He’s quick and athletic, competent at sweeping from his line in open play and able with the ball at his feet. Because he has been so busy, facing the third most shots, it has perhaps disguised some of his foibles. He could do with making himself bigger in 1v1 situations, while he could be more proactive in relieving pressure on the defence by collecting more set pieces.

He will be remembered most for his own bizarre error in a 5-3 defeat to Rangers. But such mistakes are rare for Woods who has been one of Hamilton’s most consistent players over the past two seasons.

Best moment: Hamilton had scored late to lead Partick Thistle 2-1 but deep in injury time Woods clawed a Chris Erskine header out from under the bar.

What the stats say: Accies’ win percentage without Woods this season is 0.00.