Latics in the 50s

OK, I'll wallow in a bit of nostalgia.

Looking at the first bit of the footage and the away team's kit, I think that was against Bradford Park Avenue. If it was around 1950 as suggested, we did play them in the 1950-51 season (I would have been there as a snotty nosed 6 year old with my Dad; my first ever season and loving every minute of it). If it was from that season, it was on 23rd March 1951; we lost 2-3 with our goals coming from Gemmell and Hardwick. We played them again (away) three days later and lost 1-3, our goal scored by Wadsworth. We played them again in 1951-52 and 1952-53, the year we got promoted from the old Third Division (North) to the old Second Division.

Thanks for the memory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Some great old footage from BP here, I’m sure there are probably one or two on here who remember (if a bit vaguely) this from the day. Look at the North Stand pre Ford Stand days. 

Lovely stuff. 

Great kit,  hated that old stand "big uns to the back" was a common shout.

15 hours ago, Dick_Valentine said:

Some great old footage from BP here, I’m sure there are probably one or two on here who remember (if a bit vaguely) this from the day. Look at the North Stand pre Ford Stand days. 

Lovely stuff. 

Were there not two north stands prior to the building of the Ford Stand?  The one in the video and then an almost identical one built around 1961 or so?  

3 minutes ago, Sparkleking said:

Were there not two north stands prior to the building of the Ford Stand?  The one in the video and then an almost identical one built around 1961 or so?  

The floodlights were the most modern thing around the ground when I started going in '63.

19 minutes ago, Sparkleking said:

Pass, I’m not old enough I’m pleased to say. Started watching in 82-83. My old man will know, he started going in the late 50s. 

5 hours ago, Sparkleking said:

Here you go....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/diego_sideburns/11947899076/in/album-72157638374909965/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/diego_sideburns/11220461394/in/album-72157638374909965/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

Thank you Diego.  They are definitely different stands, so I wasn't imagining it.  I wonder why, when we won the Ford prize money, that we chose to knock down a stand that was only 10 or so years old.  Admittedly, it wasn't the most attractive stand, but you would have thought that maybe the money could have been used on another part of the stadium.