On the Fane hunt

I’m sure I’ve said it before on here but his display against Wigan away when we got beat 3-0 was the worst footballing display I have ever seen! He looked like a competition winner. Going off his Instagram page he’s mainly videoing himself  training a lot and videoing himself whilst driving which isn’t the most sensible thing to do!

Fane still been under Corney's influence was said to be the cause of the suspension.

I thought his passing would be as bad as he was told it was. When Byrne or another player would literally follow him around waiting to take it off him he seemed to revert to treating the thing like a live hand grenade, when he was given a bit of responsibility he would often play a simple but effective pass.

I wonder what sort of player people think a badly organised under funded relegation bound team like ours can get.  Of course Fane was not destined for the Premiership but I agree that had he played those three games we would probably have waited another season before Marco relegated us to league 2.

1 minute ago, Hands on said:

I wonder what sort of player people think a badly organised under funded relegation bound team like ours can get.  Of course Fane was not destined for the Premiership but I agree that had he played those three games we would probably have waited another season before Marco relegated us to league 2.

Therefore missing out on Fulham away. All hail Marco.

9 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Well Missilou and dare I say it Mauoche are both better, so there are actually players out there who can play-unlike Fane.

3 hours ago, youngen said:

And that right there is why most people do not rate him. Many people also believed because he made a tackle or 2 he was good. This was mostly due to the fact he was so badly out of position. And he was clumsy in the tackle.

There would be times when he would break through midfield with his strength and speed, but you just wouldn't get excited as his end product would be utterly dreadful and you knew he wasnt going to do anything with the ball. The most to hope for was a free kick a bit further up the field. For me, he is one of the worst defensive midfielders we have ever had. Opinions and all that jazz!

Didn't he get suspended because he played horrendously in one half of a game, and AL came in and slagged him off infront of everyone and told him he would never play again? Pretty sure that's what a few ex players alluded to in their comments when leaving, particularly Craig Davies.

Agree that at the start that he couldn't pass water, later on he improved. He was never going to pass like Iniesta but he was starting to get better. As did his tackling, again, not to a wonderful level but enough for div3 and 4.

Any player can be forgiven a bad run of games, seen enough Latics players have shockers, maybe I've lowered my standards but watching players improve has been one of the only joys over the last few decades. And watching people roll back from their original "Tarky, Edmondson, Eardley, Lee.... is gash" as they go on to better things elsewhere

As for the defensive midfielder, you get stuck in, stay deep and hold on with the odd surge forward when you can

4 hours ago, Hands on said:

If Fane had played those three games we probably would have stayed up??  I try to see where other people are coming from with their point of view, but I'm lost here.  He literally never showed any inkling that he should be a footballer, never mind a game-changer...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, beag_teeets said:

I've written 'my favourite position is defensive midfielder' too many times on this board but out of the many that have played that role for us this century Fane is one of my most favourite. Was he the finished article? No, he was about 2 more seasons away from that but the potential was there, his rate of improvement was good and if he hadn't got crocked I firmly believe he would have been a key player for us last season. His size and build was perfect, reading of the game needed improving but his pace made up for it, he would be caught out of position but could eventually get one of his legs in the way and stop an attack.

I'd rather have a player good at doing one thing well than a lesser player who is an allrounder. Fane had to get in the way of the other team, pass it to a teammate, defend set pieces and shield the defence. He did that and was getting better too until he got crocked, I believe he would have continued his development last season, the other players knew his limitations and were starting to come to terms with them. That bellend Byrne didn't have the sense to realise that Fane was his perfect midfield partner, doing the ugly stuff and letting him get on with playing in the opposition half. Players that can do both or even 1.5 of the midfield roles are rare, even rarer at this level, he was in the mold of the classic water-carrier, win the ball and give it to someone who can play football.

I know he struggled to pass it to a team mate a lot of the time, a lot were his fault, some due to other players not providing an easy ball for him and some as he could only turn left. He was starting to be able to go to the right too at the end of his last season, he was set to really kick on until... He'd come to the professional game later in life and had clearly missed a lot of basic training other kids had had but he was making up for lost time. I was fuming when he got 'suspended' with about 3 games to go in League One, that club imposed suspension was the nail in the relegation coffin for me. He certainly wasn't a Vieira or Keane but to sacrifice the only player who plays in that position ahead of vital games was not just daft, it was lunacy. I don't think he curled one out on AL's carpet or slipped his wife one but whatever point AL was making, was it really worth making a relegation a damn near certainty? I think the only people pleased with the suspension were the other managers of teams near us.

*Obvs, I may be mis-remembering what his crime was, fairly certain it was some off-field nonsense though? Fairly sure it wasn't too long into AL's reign and get that he may have wanted to lay the law down but FFS, there were 3 games to go! Ooh, was it the Gerrard thing? I can't remember. Either way, we're fourth division now and not really looking like going out of that division at the right end.

Oh come on the lad can’t pass. He has no technical ability. You say it yourself he can run, then go run a marathon we do not and will never need him. Awful holding midfielder  

4 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Oh come on the lad can’t pass. He has no technical ability. You say it yourself he can run, then go run a marathon we do not and will never need him. Awful holding midfielder  

The bit in bold I totally agree with because his positional sense was terrible, however I think Fane was proof that you could still be a defensive-minded midfielder without being a holding midfielder. 

Fane was best used when he was pressing the opposition high up the pitch trying to win the ball back.  Of course he would be limited going forward due to his lack of technical ability but if he won the ball high up and found the short pass to a more able player then we could've got the best out of him.  I think he could've been very useful in League One in a 3 man midfield with an experienced player sitting deep and a creative midfielder like Byrne alongside him.  Whether it's worth accomodating him in the team in this type of midfield was the bigger question.

In the end Maouche and Missilou offered more than him and I think Sylla will turn out to be an upgrade, but I think we needed him to play his role in our relegation battle and I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for suspending him was frivilous and cost us.

17 hours ago, beag_teeets said:

I've written 'my favourite position is defensive midfielder' too many times on this board but out of the many that have played that role for us this century Fane is one of my most favourite. Was he the finished article? No, he was about 2 more seasons away from that but the potential was there, his rate of improvement was good and if he hadn't got crocked I firmly believe he would have been a key player for us last season. His size and build was perfect, reading of the game needed improving but his pace made up for it, he would be caught out of position but could eventually get one of his legs in the way and stop an attack.

I'd rather have a player good at doing one thing well than a lesser player who is an allrounder. Fane had to get in the way of the other team, pass it to a teammate, defend set pieces and shield the defence. He did that and was getting better too until he got crocked, I believe he would have continued his development last season, the other players knew his limitations and were starting to come to terms with them. That bellend Byrne didn't have the sense to realise that Fane was his perfect midfield partner, doing the ugly stuff and letting him get on with playing in the opposition half. Players that can do both or even 1.5 of the midfield roles are rare, even rarer at this level, he was in the mold of the classic water-carrier, win the ball and give it to someone who can play football.

I know he struggled to pass it to a team mate a lot of the time, a lot were his fault, some due to other players not providing an easy ball for him and some as he could only turn left. He was starting to be able to go to the right too at the end of his last season, he was set to really kick on until... He'd come to the professional game later in life and had clearly missed a lot of basic training other kids had had but he was making up for lost time. I was fuming when he got 'suspended' with about 3 games to go in League One, that club imposed suspension was the nail in the relegation coffin for me. He certainly wasn't a Vieira or Keane but to sacrifice the only player who plays in that position ahead of vital games was not just daft, it was lunacy. I don't think he curled one out on AL's carpet or slipped his wife one but whatever point AL was making, was it really worth making a relegation a damn near certainty? I think the only people pleased with the suspension were the other managers of teams near us.

*Obvs, I may be mis-remembering what his crime was, fairly certain it was some off-field nonsense though? Fairly sure it wasn't too long into AL's reign and get that he may have wanted to lay the law down but FFS, there were 3 games to go! Ooh, was it the Gerrard thing? I can't remember. Either way, we're fourth division now and not really looking like going out of that division at the right end.

A very honest post and one which I totally agree with. I liked Fane’ if only for the little chuckles we had every time we purposely mispronounced his name 

I didn't mind Fane. If his job was made simple, he could manage to do it. I remember us playing and beating Peterborough 2-0 at home when it was made free. Fane was really disciplined that night, won the ball (he was good at that) and played a simple 2/3 yard pass, he managed that too.

He was extremely careless on the ball and as such was extremely frustrating however always, always gave 100% and played with his heart on his sleeve. As such, it's hard to be critical as his technical ability just wasn't good enough.

I do personally think Sylla is better and will be better. Looked okay after a run of games near the end of the season.