125th anniversary kit

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Another 'Look at the shiny things...' distraction for fans, just like renaming the ground, naming the JR stand, etc.  A good move but, relatively speaking, pretty meaningless.

I don't get how you go through life being so miserable... Meaningless? Naming two stands after two club legends is meaningless? Letting the fans choose a kit to celebrate 125 years is a top move in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Chris15Arm said:

I don't get how you go through life being so miserable... Meaningless? Naming two stands after two club legends is meaningless? Letting the fans choose a kit to celebrate 125 years is a top move in my opinion. 

They kind of reneged on the naming of the Jimmy Frizzell though, they still call it the Rochdale Road stand 

"Oldham Athletic are delighted to announce that Go Goodwins have agreed a two-year partnership with the Club.

The Eccles based company have also secured the naming rights to the Rochdale Road Stand at Boundary Park, where Jimmy Frizzell's name will still be displayed."

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2019/august/08082019-go-goodwins/ 

*Edit - it was Corney who renamed the JF Stand too.

53 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

They kind of reneged on the naming of the Jimmy Frizzell though, they still call it the Rochdale Road stand 

"Oldham Athletic are delighted to announce that Go Goodwins have agreed a two-year partnership with the Club.

The Eccles based company have also secured the naming rights to the Rochdale Road Stand at Boundary Park, where Jimmy Frizzell's name will still be displayed."

Are you sure about the last bit? I thought they did the Royle stand the same time as Lemmy put Frizzell's name on his one after Corney refusing to pay for it

57 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

2 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Are you sure about the last bit? I thought they did the Royle stand the same time as Lemmy put Frizzell's name on his one after Corney refusing to pay for it

Corney named the stand he just didn’t have the money for a sign 

As previously alluded to, just another desperate attempt at positive PR.

Pre-season when most were extremely critical of the goings-on at the club, we had the 'Chapel Rd' announcement.  Not a peep on that since (from Club or Trust).

It really doesn't take much detective work to see when and why these announcements come out.

5 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

Getting through life well enough, thanks and not miserable at all.  I said relatively speaking and it is, in the context of everything that currently needs to be addressed at the club.  I did acknowledge that it was a good move.

20 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Getting through life well enough, thanks and not miserable at all.  I said relatively speaking and it is, in the context of everything that currently needs to be addressed at the club.  I did acknowledge that it was a good move.

See that's what confuses me about this site. Every bit of good news or feel good PR, is shot down n reverted back to the fact we have shit players. We would love AL to splash the cash and get better players, but I'd prefer we have a club to support rather than spend more money. ST sales are way down and half of them are at reduced price. Lower attendance. So you want AL to throw all his money at 1 season? And then possibly walk or run out of money and end up like other clubs struggling?

35 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

See that's what confuses me about this site. Every bit of good news or feel good PR, is shot down n reverted back to the fact we have shit players. We would love AL to splash the cash and get better players, but I'd prefer we have a club to support rather than spend more money. ST sales are way down and half of them are at reduced price. Lower attendance. So you want AL to throw all his money at 1 season? And then possibly walk or run out of money and end up like other clubs struggling?

You're putting (ridiculous) words in my mouth.

1 hour ago, Chris15Arm said:

We appear to have a first team squad of 30.  Who knows what they cost but there are obviously quite a few in there who are not getting in the first team any time soon.  Do you not think we might be better off looking for quality over quantity?

25 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

We appear to have a first team squad of 30.  Who knows what they cost but there are obviously quite a few in there who are not getting in the first team any time soon.  Do you not think we might be better off looking for quality over quantity?

A lot of them are the youth team age. So shall we get rid of the youth team to get 1 first teamer? And if we get rid of the Gonzales' the adams' send back zabret get rid of Dolan, do their wages make one good player? I highly doubt it. The majority will be on peanuts apart from players like Azankpo Fage etc who will still be on less than the same quality of English players. I get tobacco from abroad. Same quality but cheaper. Same with players. They'll be on next to nothing apart from the players who came from french league 2 upwards

34 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

A lot of them are the youth team age. So shall we get rid of the youth team to get 1 first teamer? And if we get rid of the Gonzales' the adams' send back zabret get rid of Dolan, do their wages make one good player? I highly doubt it. The majority will be on peanuts apart from players like Azankpo Fage etc who will still be on less than the same quality of English players. I get tobacco from abroad. Same quality but cheaper. Same with players. They'll be on next to nothing apart from the players who came from french league 2 upwards

It's a hard conclusion to be comfortable with given the past, credible reported cost of Menig, Maouche and Malmaison

47 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Fair analogy regarding the tobacco, especially as the ciggys from abroad are made with a sprinkling of dog shit 

Yeah there are bigger things going on at the moment but since the club asked... Can’t get my head around one of the kit options being the same bog standard kit we’ve been playing in for the last 40+ years (give or take) and nothing to do with anything we wore 125 years ago?

Easy choice - red and white stripes.

Archived