“The target is to try to go up this year,” said Banide

For the first time in years our gaffer has optimism and hope. That will do for me.

Now let's get this train started !

I have a funny feeling we'll win the league this season, some cracking signings made, a couple more to come and let's be honest we deserve to be back at our level. 

“My priority is to play well, give the players confidence and have a good team”

“That’s my objective.”

Confidence and a good changing room is key at this level, the Morocco trip can only enhance that. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

No he stated this to the Chron.

Of course that's the plan, but I'm afraid he's deluded given the shitshow he's taken over. I'm not hoping we fail I really want success but there's not a chance that's happening as things stand.

26 minutes ago, oafcshuck said:

For the first time in years our gaffer has optimism and hope. That will do for me.

Now let's get this train started !

I have a funny feeling we'll win the league this season, some cracking signings made, a couple more to come and let's be honest we deserve to be back at our level. 

“My priority is to play well, give the players confidence and have a good team”

“That’s my objective.”

Confidence and a good changing room is key at this level, the Morocco trip can only enhance that. 

If Banide manages to get a promotion in the 3 months that he's Head Coach I'll be very impressed.

21 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

If Banide manages to get a promotion in the 3 months that he's Head Coach I'll be very impressed.

23 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Nice grave he's made for himself there.

He'll be at Latics longer than three months...maybe four...but what is he expected to say?

"This season, we hope to consolidate our place in League Two."

I'm sure that would go down well, with all and sundry demanding his head for not targeting promotion.

25 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Nice grave he's made for himself there.

Is this the first step along the route of him saying “the target is to try to go up” becoming he said “we’ll definitely go up” like what some of yers like to do... ? 

3 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Is this the first step along the route of him saying “the target is to try to go up” becoming he said “we’ll definitely go up” like what some of yers like to do... ? 

Exactly, nothing the lads love more than a misquote.

6 minutes ago, Wardie said:

He'll be at Latics longer than three months...maybe four...but what is he expected to say?

"This season, we hope to consolidate our place in League Two."

I'm sure that would go down well, with all and sundry demanding his head for not targeting promotion.

Just stfu would be my advice to the man.

He did win it all in Kuwait though so he's entitled to be confident.

Happy with that quote - just the right level of optimism.

A professional sportsman should be aiming to win every game, so why shouldn’t we be aiming to go up?

Hate it when our managers have said “We’re aiming for the top 6”. No! You should be aiming to win the thing!

We won’t, of course..,

i would imagine he will have said similar to the chairman and it will have contributed to him getting the job. expcectation from the board room will likley be the same and although i like people aiming high, plus the fact the league isnt great, you'd have to say its far fetched. you can easily go up with little quality if you are a solid team and have one person to bang the goals in. we have neither any goalscorer who wil hit 20 league goals nor a steady midfield or defence that will just work hard and do the basics well. in fact with not many on board we cant even say we will have a good spirit or team understanding until about October. i wish the guy well, i think he'll be keen to do well but i think the behind the scenes problems will create issues and we wont be anywhere near promotion by xmas which will result in his sacking.

3 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

No he stated this to the Chron.

This was in The Oldham Times, not the Chron. He says his target is to try to go up, but the 1st. three paragraphs are as follows.

LAURENT Banide is eyeing a promotion push in his first season in English football.

The new Oldham Athletic boss has been tasked with improving on 14th in League Two and moving Latics towards the sharp end of the division.

That will be easier said than done for the former Monaco head coach though who has never managed in England before and arrives after spending the last eight years working in the Middle East.

If we finish 13th. AL will be happy!!

13 minutes ago, al_bro said:

This was in The Oldham Times, not the Chron. He says his target is to try to go up, but the 1st. three paragraphs are as follows.

LAURENT Banide is eyeing a promotion push in his first season in English football.

The new Oldham Athletic boss has been tasked with improving on 14th in League Two and moving Latics towards the sharp end of the division.

That will be easier said than done for the former Monaco head coach though who has never managed in England before and arrives after spending the last eight years working in the Middle East.

If we finish 13th. AL will be happy!!

That's just a journo squeezing something out of nothing. 

Archived