“The target is to try to go up this year,” said Banide

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Progress is progress,slowly slowly catchy monkey.

I personally can't wait for the return from the Morrocan odyssey,expecting Mo to have ditched the flat cap and be sporting a more fashionable Tommy Cooper look

4x new imports in tow, give Ashton Utd a lesson then walk the league 

If we don't establish a solid central defensive partnership, we will ship goals for fun. Never thought I`d say this (as it's not my philosophy) but if we adopt the Arsenal mentality of old (i.e. concentrate on defence and don't concede many) I think we could get out of this awful division. Not much sign of that emphasis though.

It might be a boring approach but we simply need to get out of the basement division at all costs - and develop a more free flowing style thereafter.

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

If we don't establish a solid central defensive partnership, we will ship goals for fun. Never thought I`d say this (as it's not my philosophy) but if we adopt the Arsenal mentality of old (i.e. concentrate on defence and don't concede many) I think we could get out of this awful division. Not much sign of that emphasis though.

It might be a boring approach but we simply need to get out of the basement division at all costs - and develop a more free flowing style thereafter.

Trouble is, not only do we have a very weak defence, we've no real world beaters in midfield and only one striker (if O'Grady can be regarded as such and Benteke has buggered off). If ever a squad needed all round strengthening, it's this one.

19 hours ago, al_bro said:

This was in The Oldham Times, not the Chron. He says his target is to try to go up, but the 1st. three paragraphs are as follows.

LAURENT Banide is eyeing a promotion push in his first season in English football.

The new Oldham Athletic boss has been tasked with improving on 14th in League Two and moving Latics towards the sharp end of the division.

That will be easier said than done for the former Monaco head coach though who has never managed in England before and arrives after spending the last eight years working in the Middle East.

If we finish 13th. AL will be happy!!

There's absolutely fucks chance of AL being happy with a 13th placed finish.

Without serious strengthening this team may leave league 2, but not in the direction we want. Its weak and thin, it needs serious investment! It's a shambles we considering leaving the country when there is so much work to be done at home. The manager, owner need to be here trialling players, speaking to agents etc

5 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Without serious strengthening this team may leave league 2, but not in the direction we want. Its weak and thin, it needs serious investment! It's a shambles we considering leaving the country when there is so much work to be done at home. The manager, owner need to be here trialling players, speaking to agents etc

Trialing players doesn't smell of serious strengthening...

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

He's going to have to put his hand in his pocket and get a number of quality players in then.

I've absolutely no idea how the next few months or season is going to play out.

What I do know though is this division hasn't suddenly sparked into a hotbed of quality football. Last season was absolutely dogshit. It'll be the same this season. It won't take a large number of quality players to push up towards the playoffs.

It's often best to wait to see who lines up for Game 1 (and then give it another 10 games or so.) But as I say, fucks chance that AL will be happy with 13th place.

3 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

What I do know though is this division hasn't suddenly sparked into a hotbed of quality football. Last season was absolutely dogshit. It'll be the same this season. It won't take a large number of quality players to push up towards the playoffs.

It's often best to wait to see who lines up for Game 1 (and then give it another 10 games or so.) But as I say, fucks chance that AL will be happy with 13th place.

Can name 12 teams who will finish above us now and there will be more.

4 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Bradford, scunthorpe, Salford. Will make it a lot more difficult!

2 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

If you say Northampton I’m gonna back em to go down. And I recently stopped gambling..

Banker, if anyone wants to give me 5/6 or better in a match bet I'll have as much as I can on...

On 7/5/2019 at 3:48 PM, boundaryblue80 said:

We've lost Iverson, Clarke, Edmondson, Lang, Surridge and even Lyden from last season and replaced none, in my opinion they were our best six players followed probably by Nepo whose the only real decent player we've kept whose consistent, Maouche and Missilou should be okay along with Mills but other than that we are relegation material, Notts County went into last season with a pretty decent squad and were favourites to go up which should tell us if you continue to run a shitshow you get punished, unfortunately AL and more pertinently ML are being allowed to gamble with our clubs future using it as their own little play thing and making some extraordinary decisions along the way, personally given the squad we've got there is not a chance we will finish top half and if Corney was running the club in this way you'd be all over it like a rash and rightly so. Its shit and needs sorting out sharpish not ten games into the season when everyone will be blaming the manager (again).

18 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

I’m not expecting this to be our final squad. Far from it.

That may be the case,but are we saying that we have gone to Morroco to develop the team spirit within a squad far from that which will start the season.All very strange.

30 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

I’m not expecting this to be our final squad. Far from it.

With two months of the window left, anyone losing their shit over the current squad is being a bit of a drama queen. 

5 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

With two months of the window left, anyone losing their shit over the current squad is being a bit of a drama queen. 

:applause1:

Then it will be 10 games, then Christmas then.......

Anyway thought we were getting our business done early this year?

12 minutes ago, laticsmarra said:

That may be the case,but are we saying that we have gone to Morroco to develop the team spirit within a squad far from that which will start the season.All very strange.

That's why these trips are pointless to develop team spirit. Loan players are always signed late.

Archived